The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 5, 2007, 09:45 PM   #1
Glk17

shotgun mag extensions

Are mag extensions necessary for a tactical or HD shotgun? I have a Remington 870P and can't decide whether or not to put a mag extension on it.
Old May 5, 2007, 10:09 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Of course they aren't. Extensionsmake the gun muzzle heavy and unweildy.
Old May 6, 2007, 12:38 AM   #3
RsqVet

In almost all cases no... how many home defense episodes can you cite where more than 2 rounds of 12ga were fired?

How many LE episodes as well? Heck most LE guns did not use to have extenshions though they seem more the norm these days, with many guns loaded down with extra shells on a stock sleave or receiver mounted holder.

But then there are always rare cases where it did or would have mattered, we have weapons for the rare or off chance we will need them so it comes to personal choice. I don't mind the balance or handleing of the shotguns I have with the extended mags and since I offten store them with an empty chamber but full mag I like the extended mags as one up and 2 in the tube just seems light to me if I'm grabing a shotgun in the middle of the night. At the smae time I personally don't see the need for a dozen extra rounds cramed all over my gun.