The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Does Your Gun Store Price Gouge?
Yes 42 56.76%
No 32 43.24%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24, 2015, 11:53 PM   #26
Onward Allusion

What's a gun store? I haven't been to one in over a year.

I get all my ammo, guns, accessories, reloading supplies...etc...online. No driving around or calling shops or big boxes to be placed on hold then finding out they don't carry the item.

The convenience of getting exactly what I need when I need it, having everything delivered to my UPS Store, and not paying sales tax (most of the time) outweighs the cost of shipping. To tell the truth, the prices in the brick and mortars are usually much higher anyway.
Old November 25, 2015, 07:53 AM   #27
geetarman

I have one local shop and one big box store that I frequent. During the last dust up, the LGS raised prices immediately due to the increased demand. They were exorbitant and it almost put them out of business. Sportsman's Warehouse, on the other hand , kept the same pricing and naturally sold out of rifles and most popular ammo within days.

Those are the people I want to deal with. I go to Sportsman's Warehouse a lot.

The LGS seems to have learned their lesson but only time will tell. The upshot for me is I order my ammo from Ammoman and have it dropped right at my front door. If Sportsman's Warehouse has a gun I like, I just buy it. If I have to order it, I will go to Bud's Guns or Able Ammo and have it shipped to the LGS. I keep a membership at the LGS because they have an indoor range but I can tell you the volume of business there has dropped off a LOT. They really crapped in their nests and it has hurt them. They only have themselves to blame.

There is a new LGS in the area now. Healy's Firearms and they have a VERY nice selection. They do not discount their inventory but neither do they inflate their prices. It is owned and operated by two retired police officers and they are exceptionally nice and patient with customers. In the last year, I relieved them of a PPK, P227, P938, P227 Equinox, P320, Sig 1911 Nightmare Fastback, TRP and a Spartan. I also picked up a Bushmaster that was on sale.

Carpe Cerveza

Last edited by geetarman; November 25, 2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old November 25, 2015, 10:18 AM   #28
peggysue

LGS have overhead to meet. They have to charge more as they can't afford the amount of firearms like big box stores have.On line is cheaper to buy because don't have to pay taxes on purchesas either.
Old November 25, 2015, 02:10 PM   #29
lordvader

No gun shops/stores in my hometown. Pawn shops are pricey here though, and the gun shows are ridiculously overpriced when they come to my area.(not my hometown) but two towns over. I can't fathom how those guys can stay in business.
Old November 25, 2015, 02:44 PM   #30
kilimanjaro

I recall 40 cents a box, too.

I bought some collectible 22lr ammo in boxes from an old-timer at a show, he said he bought ten bricks in 1939 for 9 cents a box, then the war intervened and most of it stayed in storage, then life got in the way. He was selling it for ten bucks a box, and some folks bought some for shooting.
Old November 25, 2015, 02:57 PM   #31
745SW

What LGS! They largely disappeared by the year 2000.
Old November 25, 2015, 03:26 PM   #32
bikerbill

I don't think so ... I can usually get something cheaper at a gun show, but their prices are always under MSRP and I don't begrudge them a fair profit ... If I happen to see something I want while I'm at a gun show, I'm not likely to run to the LGS ... but if I'm looking for something specific ... LGS it is
Old November 25, 2015, 03:53 PM   #33
Kosh75287

+1 to TOM SERVO'S comment.

Smaller stores lack the buying power of the big box stores, among other things. Additionally, if an item is priced commensurate to the rate and price at which it may be readily replaced, and isn't being cleaned off the shelf, it's probably pretty close to what the market will bear.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old November 25, 2015, 09:08 PM   #34
Snyper

Quote:
That's the guy that's too lazy to shop around.
"Shopping around" means spending a lot of time checking on who can save you a few pennies, and having to pay the full price upon ordering.

Using the same distributors all the time allows you to get special deals at , and allows you to set up credit accounts to give you time to turn over merchandise before the full payment is required.
Old November 26, 2015, 07:17 PM   #35
FITASC

Quote:
On line is cheaper to buy because don't have to pay taxes on purchesas either.
Unless you live in a state with no sales tax, technically (and legally) you are required to remit the same amount of tax as a "use" tax.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 26, 2015, 10:31 PM   #36
AK103K

There are definitely stores that gouge or take advantage, which, around here anyway, was completely evident during the past couple of panics.

I understand supply and demand and all, but why would I pay double at the shops who raised their prices almost overnight, when another a little farther away, didnt raise them at all?

Watching what went on, and talking to people at the various shops, you can tell who knows the game, and shops around all the time, not just during the panics, and those who are panic prone, and prone to be taken advantage of.

Most of the people I talked to around here, are of the later group, and a number of the dealers, were well aware of that, and were driving the panic hard as well.

Ill patronize the shops that did their best to get through things without gouging, even if I have to go out of my way to go there. The others..... well, they chose their path, and they wont be getting any of my money.

You know, we are our own worst enemy here too. Those who are serious about this, do their best to stock up constantly, and have stuff put back, as best they can, to carry them through. Those who wait for the panic, get what they waited for.

I think the big difference there too is, those who panic, seem to get totally different things from the internet, than those who dont. All they seem to get are the conspiracy theories driving the panic.

I got a steady stream of components, and usually at reasonable, albeit, somewhat higher prices as the theories wore on.

Im still getting them regularly too.

Last week, Remington primers at Shyda's, $20/1000. Local "gouge" shop...$45/1000. Was well worth the drive.

Well, except for that "78 in a 55" on the way home. They got me this time, but Im still WAY ahead there too.
Old November 27, 2015, 10:36 AM   #37
mr bolo

hardware store / gun store prices

Winchester 9mm ball $40 a box 50rds

Winchester .45 auto 100rd value pack $89.99 a box

it seems like they buy their ammo at Walmart and mark up the prices?

makes me wonder who would be dumb enough to buy their ammo?

most of it is still gathering dust on the shelf from the last time I checked.

this place is a hardware store and has a hunting / gun dept
Old November 27, 2015, 08:38 PM   #38
hnusz

last week picked up a 555 round box of winchester 22s 23 $
20 rounds 223 federal 7 $
agulia 38 super 20 $
agulia 9x21 20 $
witness match 38 super 605 plus tax
Old November 29, 2015, 08:39 AM   #39
gyvel

Quote:
That's the guy that's too lazy to shop around.

"Shopping around" means spending a lot of time checking on who can save you a few pennies, and having to pay the full price upon ordering.

Using the same distributors all the time allows you to get special deals at , and allows you to set up credit accounts to give you time to turn over merchandise before the full payment is required.
Horse manure. Shopping around different distributors can save you more than "pennies."
SIFE
Old November 29, 2015, 08:43 AM   #40
gyvel

Quote:
it seems like they buy their ammo at Walmart and mark up the prices?
Which is exactly what one greedy local SOB guns shop owner was doing in this small town. He would send his confederates into Walmart, have them buy all the ammo, then mark it up in his own shop.

"Capitalism?" Sure, some of you may make that claim, but as far as I'm concerned it's taking advantage of a bad situation to line one's own pockets.
SIFE
Old November 29, 2015, 08:55 AM   #41
AK103K

Quote:
Shopping around different distributors can save you more than "pennies."
I agree, and very often, a lot more.

Quote:
"Capitalism?" Sure, some of you may make that claim, but as far as I'm concerned it's taking advantage of a bad situation to line one's own pockets.
We had a good bit of that around here the last time too, and its still going on at a couple of places.

Its a vicious, and self propagating cycle too I think. A bit of deceit and greed on one end, and lack of planing and knowledge on the other.
Old November 29, 2015, 09:41 AM   #42
FITASC

Quote:
I understand supply and demand and all, but why would I pay double at the shops who raised their prices almost overnight, when another a little farther away, didnt raise them at all?
A retailer has to price his merchandise based on what his next reorder costs will be, which is why you see gas go up quickly when prices rise and fall slowly.

If your guy buys a gun for 100 and sells it for 125, but is told the next time the gun will cost him 110, he needs to raise his price on his current inventory so he has enough built in to cover that reorder point and keep his margin the same.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 29, 2015, 09:54 AM   #43
AK103K

Quote:
A retailer has to price his merchandise based on what his next reorder costs will be, which is why you see gas go up quickly when prices rise and fall slowly.

If your guy buys a gun for 100 and sells it for 125, but is told the next time the gun will cost him 110, he needs to raise his price on his current inventory so he has enough built in to cover that reorder point and keep his margin the same.
I understand that, and dont have a problem with that.

Its when you see the prices on the existing stock jump (I personally saw it too, with new labels over old), and they try and tell you crap you know not to be true (some of us deal with this all the time, and have been for a long time), its pretty obvious they are trying, and actually are, taking advantage.
Old December 1, 2015, 08:15 PM   #44
FITASC

And then YOU have a choice - to buy or not; therefore, there is no gouging. You either willingly pay his ASKING price (and everything is negotiable), or you don't and walk away. In either case, there is no gouging.
I worked in a small retail store, and I also owned one for a while, and sometimes prices go up quickly, depending on the commodity. At that retail store, we were changing prices both up and down daily as vendor prices on reorders came in - that's reality. Gas price go up - freight charges start getting adders and that gets passed on - etc., etc., etc.
Old December 1, 2015, 08:25 PM   #45
AK103K

Quote:
And then YOU have a choice - to buy or not; therefore, there is no gouging.
Your right, there was none, for me. Now the other guys there, who knew no better....
Old December 2, 2015, 12:02 PM   #46
FITASC

Even if they knew no better, if they WILLINGLY paid, then they thought it was a fair arrangement.......
Old December 2, 2015, 12:15 PM   #47
AK103K

Not necessarily. I heard my share of bitching and complaining, and the "G" word, from those who begrudgingly paid for what they wanted/needed. They did pay, but obviously, they werent happy about it.

A lot of people around here, only shop at one place, because thats where they have always shopped, and their dad always shopped. Its not just guns either, boots, clothing, etc,. Its like its tradition or something.

They act like Im crazy when I tell them you can save a lot of money online, if you shop around. Then again, I aint from here, so what do I know.

Hey, if youre not smart enough to plan ahead for those times things might get tight, you get to pay out the butt for things, if you can even find them (can you believe people were dumb enough to pay $100 for a brick of .22's! ).

The other thing you see a lot of around here is, a "box" of ammo, is usually 20 rounds. The boxes I get, if and when I buy factory, normally have a 1000. Maybe its perspective, eh.
Old December 2, 2015, 01:53 PM   #48
BigMikey76

I definitely see some over pricing in my local shops. One of the local ranges also buys and sells used guns, and they want $375 for a used Bersa BP9cc, which I can get NIB from Bud's for $330 or so, plus $15 FFL. The box stores, of course, are outrageous. The only local store that carried the PT111 G2 when I bought mine was a box store, and they wanted $320. I got mine from PSA for $199. The pawn shops around here ask high prices for their used inventory, but they are willing to negotiate, at least.
Old December 2, 2015, 02:19 PM   #49
FITASC

Quote:
The pawn shops around here ask high prices for their used inventory, but they are willing to negotiate, at least.
Of course they ask high - it's a lot easier to drop a price than it is to raise it in the middle of a negotiation. Just before the end of the year, you should be able to get good deals at pawn shops. many folks pawn things to buy presents and the shops want to clear out inventory as many states tax them on inventory in the store at year's end. Those guys also want their end of year bonus.
Old December 2, 2015, 09:50 PM   #50
Gunplummer

I don't shoot as much as I used to, so I pick up a lot of powder and primers at the local shop. It probably is a little more. I really do not check. I try to stay out of crap holes like WALMART and Cabela's. If it seems a little high priced, I leave it there. I try to throw a little business towards the "Little guys".