The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2015, 06:26 PM   #1
massivevivid

Trying to identify the year of this Browning skeet 12 gauge

I know it is a Browning 12 gauge skeet gun. That is all I know for sure. Any help would be very much appreciated. I would also like to know what I should pay for it.
Old June 18, 2015, 06:56 PM   #2
FITASC

See if either of these help:

http://proofhouse.com/browning/index.html

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...egun/index.asp
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 18, 2015, 07:04 PM   #3
massivevivid

I appreciate the information. Sadly, I have yet to be able to locate the serial number in any database. I think it is a Browning Maxus, but I am really not certain.
Old June 18, 2015, 08:16 PM   #4
FITASC

With that cut on the left side, I thought it might be a twelvette

http://www.gunsamerica.com/955272517...vette-12ga.htm

Quote:
The Browning Double Automatic Shotgun is a short recoil operated [2] semi-automatic (Auto Loading) 12 gauge shotgun with a 2 ¾ inch chamber. This shotgun was offered in both aluminum and steel receiver configurations[3] with the aluminum receivers featuring a variety of finish colors.[4] The 3 versions offered include the Standard as the only steel receiver version, Twelvette, and Twentyweight which used the aluminium receiver. All Double Automatic's are 12 gauge. Various configurations were available for choke, barrel length, and barrel type. The firearm was produced between 1955 and 1971, with production volume of approximately 67,000.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; June 18, 2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old June 19, 2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Jim Watson

It is certainly a Double Automatic. The serial number shown does not fit the scheme on the Browning site, but that is not unusual. It might mean it was made in 1955-1957 or it might mean their chart is not always right.

I can't put a dollar value on it, but it looks pretty beat up and rusty.
Have you shot it?
Old June 20, 2015, 10:21 AM   #6
BigJimP

Beat up and rusty..../ ..... there are too many other options out there for much better used guns than this one...

( the Maxus model you mentioned, is only about 6 or 7 yrs old ...this gun is way older )...and I assume has a fixed choke barrel...

I'd suggest you pass on it - at any price / unless you need the parts for another gun of the same model --- and then $100 maybe...
Old June 28, 2015, 04:07 PM   #7
massivevivid

These pictures were in terrible lighting. The gun itself is in really great shape, honestly. Not really any rust that I could see, and the barrel is solid. It actually has a lot of the original bluing as well.