The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 27, 2013, 09:25 AM   #26
simonrichter

holy crap, I supposed there would be a lot of lightweight, super-small stuff coming up when it's about hiking, but seemingly you US guys don't like doing things by halves

A touring company of you guys is better armed than a whole battalion of the Austrian Army. I like that

And yes, the Henry rifle would be tempting, alas it is not allowed in this country, because it is SUCH a vicious weapon....
Old August 27, 2013, 11:36 AM   #27
lamarw

Out of curiosity, what is allowed in your country? I know the walking stick was mentioned along with a hunting knife.

Maybe your question should not of even been on a firearm forum.
Old August 27, 2013, 01:57 PM   #28
RsqVet

My favorite is a 3inch sp101 in 357. Yes there are other guns I own I could carry. The sp wins most of the time based on size and weight.

Sometimes a small 22 revolver gets tucked in for plinking.
Old August 27, 2013, 05:01 PM   #29
Nail Shooter

Any dangerous game around, then G20 (10mm) with full power loads.
Old August 28, 2013, 03:10 AM   #30
simonrichter

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what is allowed in your country?
actually, no carrying out of your own property unless you are a licensed hunter, even then normally only rifles, no handguns. That's why I ask in an US forum when I want to know INTERSTING stuff about other people's firearm habits outdoors
Old August 28, 2013, 06:37 AM   #31
Auto5

3" Ruger SP101 .357 - compact, stainless, handles everything from snake loads, .38 wadcutters for small game or plinking, .357 for everything else.
Old August 28, 2013, 06:47 AM   #32
jmr40

If in bear country my G-20 loaded with 200 gr hardcast @1300 fps. If no large predators either my G-19 or G-26.
Old August 28, 2013, 08:34 AM   #33
Pilot

In the Colorado Rockies, a USFA SAA in .45 Colt.
Old August 29, 2013, 06:29 PM   #34
jhenry

The USAF Survival rifle has been problematic over it's lifespan. Perhaps Henry has worked out some of the bugs, but I have yet to hear that is the case. Nice concept, but a poor performer.

On the other hand, the USAF M6 combo gun is dead reliable and offers a nice rifle/shotgun combination. Mine is a older Springfield version in .22/.410. I think I would like a .22 Mag version a bit more, but no complaints. The issue version is 22 Hornet over .410 with 14 inch barrels.
Old August 29, 2013, 07:17 PM   #35
eldermike

When we go hiking in NC mountains I carry a leatherman and a light walking stick. Where we hike every oz is criticality considered. Water is heavy and it comes before guns. By the time a hike is finished I don't care if something eats me.
Old August 29, 2013, 07:22 PM   #36
kopek

I'm mostly PA and the general northeast so I carry the same thing I carry most times and places - M49 S&W. First is shot, next two JHP and the last two full wadcutters. Fits nice in a variety of pockets and comes out easy when/if needed.
Old August 29, 2013, 08:06 PM   #37
Yung.gunr

Last little hike I took the family on we encountered an angry momma cow. I have been around cattle a couple times in my life and this was the first time I was worried. I felt a little unsure with my XD9, spare mag & TCP BUG ... I really don't know....

After that I have been thinking about getting a .357 mag or larger for hikes. I don't want to ever question if I brought enough gun again. I think while I am saving funds for my revolver I think I will get some bear spray for the next hike.
Old August 29, 2013, 08:23 PM   #38
Buzzcook

I usually carry a Ruger Mk. II and occasionally a Marlin model 60.

I've been camping and hiking for many years and never found the need for more.
Old August 29, 2013, 09:04 PM   #39
ClydeFrog

Henry USAF rifle; .22LR ....

Im not much for long-guns or rifles in general but Id buy the Henry camo .22LR AR-7 rifle for bug-outs or massive storm recovery events(Katrina Super-Storm Sandy etc).
Id like to know what went wrong with the program?
Did the weapon fail in SERE/military T&Es?
It seems like a sound concept for aircrews or downed pilots.
Old August 30, 2013, 10:18 AM   #40
rodfac

WHEW....Deaf, that's one beautiful "Tanker" rig you've posted.. El Paso Saddlery does nice work. What's the slot under the "US" for? Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 30, 2013, 04:59 PM   #41
MattShlock

M-7

The M-7 has been made by a few companies in assorted releases. They have been pretty universally unreliable. Great idea -- poor civilian execution. I will say that the latest, the Henry, has actually gotten some relatively not-unfavorable reviews. I am not recommending it -- anyone who knows such arms for as long as I have would, could, never go out on that limb -- but they may not be as awful as previous makes.
Old August 30, 2013, 05:27 PM   #42
K_Mac

For my daily walks I carry a compact 9mm (an SR9c) along with a folding knife and a 2 oz pepper spray. For rugged hiking/camping, when the law allows I will add a mid-size 4", .357 mag (a GP 100) on my hip with the 9mm in my pack as a back-up. If I were going to brown bear country I would add a long gun-probably a shotgun.
Old August 30, 2013, 05:36 PM   #43
rotten mick

Out here lots of different lands to cross, BLM, state and fed park and Indian reservation all flow together. So I usually carry my everyday 9mm carry when I can legally and three extra mag tucked away. As for where I can't carry due to regulation I wonder if the time came that I really needed it, would it be better to ask forgiveness or do without?
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old August 31, 2013, 05:33 PM   #44
CosmicCoder

For hiking and fishing here in the Wyoming mountains I carry a 7-shot 4" S&W 686 Plus .357 Mag with 158gr LSWC loaded to 1200fps. Most of my fishing buddies are packing a .44 Mag.
Old September 1, 2013, 05:38 AM   #45
simonrichter

Interestingly, it seems weight is not an issue at all for most of you. Even the ammo for a 9mm or .357 does add to weight, let alone a full size semi or large frame revolver...
Old September 1, 2013, 06:30 AM   #46
2damnold4this

I usually carry a S&W 642 Airweight but I don't go very far anymore with a backpack.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:32 AM   #47
rotten mick

Interestingly, it seems weight is not an issue at all for most of you. Even the ammo for a 9mm or .357 does add to weight, let alone a full size semi or large frame revolver...

The fact that we can and do carry is why its the normal gun we choose. If its needed your going to want to have the gun you carry and shoot the most with you. Pack more than you need..... than need what you didnt pack. I may never need to shoot 60 rounds but if injuries or illness and dead cellphone happen its nice to have signal round available in addition to critter rounds.
The rest of them have to touch an electric fence"..... Will Rogers.
Old September 1, 2013, 08:58 AM   #48
Mystro

Versatility is what I look for and the Governor is king of versatility.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old September 1, 2013, 04:08 PM   #49
Deaf Smith

Quote:
WHEW....Deaf, that's one beautiful "Tanker" rig you've posted.. El Paso Saddlery does nice work. What's the slot under the "US" for? Best Regards, Rod
Rod,

That is so when the cylinder bulges a bit the leather can expand above the slot but not below. Can't see it from the photo, but I just added a Tyler-T to the hogleg.

You can see the slot here and when you put the gun in it the holster expands above the slot to fit the cylinder width.

Deaf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 629-1.jpg (165.5 KB, 34113 views)
Old September 1, 2013, 11:05 PM   #50
Sgt127

Deaf, we have have remarkably similiar taste in revolvers. A pre lock 629 in an El Paso Austin rig. Gift from a dear friend. My name, rank, badge number and dept initials....and, it too now sports a Tyler T grip.

Honestly though, thats more my BBQ rig, the vast majority of the time, camping, hiking or just wandering around, I carry a 3" S&W 65 with 158 Remington HP.