The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 27, 2008, 08:52 PM   #1
BerettaBill

CX 4 top rail mount drilling advice.

I posted a similar thread in the gear and accessories forum but I just discovered this one and think it would be better suited here. I will try and erase the other thread to prevent double topics. I recently purchased a Beretta CX 4 40 S&W and i have a Bushnell Trophy red dot/ green dot scope I want to mount on it. I ordered a top rail mount from Houts Enterprises today and I understand that I will have to drill two extra holes on the top of the gun in order to mount the rail. I have never done any gunsmith work as far as drilling goes. I have a Drimmel and a power drill that I have alot of experience with as far as carpentry and home improvements goes. Should I let a gunsmith handle this task? Have any of you guys drilled your own holes in your guns?

Last edited by BerettaBill; February 27, 2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: My 4 year old accidently submitted post before I was finished.
Old February 27, 2008, 09:39 PM   #2
teeroux

ive done it on my own Cx4 with my dremel.

its not a hard job to do if you are competent with hand tools you should have no problem.

the only other tools that you will need is a screw driver and a thin blade and tape.

all you have to do is thread the one screw into the pre-exsisting hole and the rail will center on the top of the upper own its own then just drill the other 2 holes carefully not to punch clean through and scratch up your barrel.

then what i did is for the hole further into the reciever is i used a thin bladed knife with a piece of tape rolled over on its self to lightly hold the nut for threading. the other one you can handle by hand.

The nuts have a recess that the holes line up with so that you wont need a back up wrench to torque them.

i also used a bit of thread locker to make the install permanent.

i have a picture to help you can see one of the nuts and its recess the other one is under the barrel i am pointing to to its location this is the one you will need a thin bladed instrument for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00453.JPG (133.8 KB, 33 views)
Old February 28, 2008, 10:04 AM   #3
BerettaBill

Thanks Teeroux your post helps me a lot. I didn't want to have to pay for a gunsmith to keep my gun for two weeks just to drill a couple of holes. If I have any issues I may PM you.
Old February 29, 2008, 01:00 AM   #4
teeroux

your welcome

i doubt you will have any problems but if you do go ahead and PM me.