The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 22, 2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Nine the Ranger

Remington 700

After much thinking I'ce decided that the next gun I purchase will be a bolt action in either .243 or .308.

When one thinks of Bolt Actions it's hard not to see the R700 on the list. I've looked around and am giving the model much consideration, but I have some questions about it.

I see many different versions of it, all with a three letter abbreviation. What I ask is beyond these letters (whatever they mean), stock options, finishes, sights, ect. Is it really all the same gun? Is one type if 700 inherently better than another?
Old July 22, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2
jmr40

For the most part the letters describe the type of magazine.

ADL= blind magazine. Traditionally they had the same walnut stocks as the BDL, just with slightly different features and sold for a little less. Current ADL's all have cheaper plastic stocks.

BDL= floorplate. In most cases, but not all the BDL's have bright shiny finish on the wood, but have been made with every type of stock from cheap plastic to extra fancy walnut.

The only real diference between the 2 is floorplate and blind magazine. They have made many different versions of both. The only consistent fact is that ADL is blind mag, BDL is floorplate

CDL is also a floorplate gun, but with an older "Classic" style stock instead of the very modernistic BDL that was developed during the 60's when cars were being made with tail fins . The CDL is patterned after the classic styles of the 1920's-30's.

DBM= Detachable box magazine

Remington initially dropped ADL, and BDL and replaced them with the CDL and SPS. The SPS is really just a budget gun, but with a floorplate instead of a blind magazine. Both have been brought back and are sold in limited chamberings, usually only at big box stores such as Walmart.

All are based on the same acions. The level of attention and final finish are the only difference. Well, other than price.

They also offer several varmit, tactical, Mt Rifle, and other versions. These can be based on the ADL, BDL or DBM, but with different stocks, barrels, etc. made for specific pruposes.
Old July 22, 2013, 09:10 PM   #3
steveNChunter

Great explanation jmr40

If you're looking to buy new, there are many versions of the 700 chambered for the two cartridges you mentioned, but in my opinion the fit and finish, and consistent accuracy of those rifles doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be even ten or fifteen years ago.

If you plan on looking in the used market for a Remington 700 I'd like to make one suggestion for a particular model that is my personal favorite incarnation of the 700.

A Remington 700 Varmint Special. These guns were built to very high QC standards and every one I've ever seen was a tack driver. They are a high gloss walnut BDL floorplate stock design with a heavy barrel, and they came in .243 and .308 as well as several other chamberings. I own one in 6mm rem, I wish I had some pictures to upload but don't at the moment.

Here's a random pic I found on a Google search

Not saying this is the only 700 worth having, just my personal fave. The 700 is a great rifle, its much easier to find a good one than a bad one.
Old July 22, 2013, 09:41 PM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

The 700 is a tried and true rifle. The actions in the models are functionally the same. Some come with heavy barrels others with lightweight barrels. You can also improve any 700. Here are two photos first is a stock SPSTactical AAC-SD ( with only a lightened trigger. The second is a trued and blueprinted 700 action built in 300WM. It has a Krieger SS 1-10 twist barrel,manners chassis and numerous other add ons... The SPS shoots under 1 MOA, the 300WM shoot exceptionally better( but had a lot bigger price tag ).

My point is they are great stock, but are even better customized...
SPS Tactical

Custom 300WM
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old July 22, 2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Rmart30

The SPS model is a step above a ADL, has a much nicer synthetic stock (hogue type grip inserts and not the cheap slick plasticy feel of the ADL's) and has a ammo dump floorplate.

You can catch the ADL's with camo stocks at wally world for $399 on sale. regularly like $479. Add $75 to that for the SPS model and another $75 to make it a stainless.

I have 5 700's now. One ADL, the rest SPS.

Dont overlook a 7mm-08. its right in between the 2 calibers you mentioned. hardly more recoil than the 243 and packs a good punch.
Old July 22, 2013, 11:52 PM   #6
mxsailor803

As far as performance from the 700's, the sporter sized barreled rifles all perform very similar to each other (ADL, BDL, CDL). Until you get one of the special rifles that are fitted with a bull barrel, which are good for lots of rounds being shot in a session, you will see very little difference between the models. I've got a mid-90's ADL and my dad has a mid-70's BDL, both in .270win, and both are clover leaf guns if the shooter does there part.
Old July 23, 2013, 01:22 AM   #7
Powderman

Here's another to answer the question, "Now, what can I have done to a Remington rifle?"

McMillan A3 stock with Badger Ordnance bottom metal and AICS magazines; Harris swivel bipod, Bartlein 1-11.25 twist cut rifled barrel, pillar bedded; fully trued and blueprinted with a Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS. It's a short-action .308.
Old July 23, 2013, 03:08 AM   #8
Nine the Ranger

So my actual question is somewhat unanswered: Are all the 700s pretty much the same? Stripped down to the bare bones?
Old July 23, 2013, 06:29 AM   #9
silvrjeepr

Remington 700

There are three types of 700 actions. Long, short, and magnum. Which one you get will be based on caliber. They are exactly the same, just a different size. Save for size and finish, they are all exactly the same and interchangeable.

The short answer to your question is yes. A 700 chambered in 243 has the exact same action as every other 700 out there chambered in 243.

Last edited by silvrjeepr; July 23, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old July 23, 2013, 07:04 AM   #10
jmr40

Quote:
So my actual question is somewhat unanswered: Are all the 700s pretty much the same? Stripped down to the bare bones?
Quote:
All are based on the same actions. The level of attention and final finish are the only difference. Well, other than price.
The actions and triggers are exactly the same, come off the same assembly line. Most standard barrels are the same. The difference is in the level of attention at final assembly, the finish and the stock they screw on. A cheap, budget SPS or ADL has the same components as the top of the line CDL and will likely be just as accurate. You are paying for good wood, polished metal and a little more attetion when assembled.

Certain models have specific barrels. The varmit/target versions have barrels of higher quality and in some cases a different twist rate. The Mountain rifle is a thinner contour to keep weight down.
Old July 24, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Fisher

From steveNChunter
Quote:
A Remington 700 Varmint Special. These guns were built to very high QC standards and every one I've ever seen was a tack driver.
I agree with Steve, the Remington 700 VS is a nice rig. I have the one below in .308 and it is a tack driver.

I also have the Remington 700 SP in .243. I got rid of the crap stock and put a H.S. Precision stock similar to the one on my VS.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old July 24, 2013, 11:50 PM   #12
chaser_2332

The varmint special and the VS are diffent models the VS stands for varmint synthetic. Both nice guns just diffent models.
Old July 24, 2013, 11:57 PM   #13
Kachok

Used to be a Remington man, but the new ones are garbage, after three consecutive defects I will never waste another cent on a Remington again.
My Savages are head and shoulders better then my 700s and my dandy little Tikka blows them out the water.
Old July 25, 2013, 01:16 AM   #14
5RWill

While we're chiming in on semi-custom 700s i'll throw mine in there, though i haven't shot or been around in a while

The 700 is a fantastic action to shoot as you go so to speak. My meaning is that if per say you wanted a full blown custom like an APA genesis, Surgeon, Big Horn, etc. you can technically bring a 700 action up to those specs and shoot as you go essentially.
Old July 25, 2013, 07:49 AM   #15
gdvan01

@CDJ - nice lookin' sticks...

I've had a 700P for many years now, shoots like a dream.

Below is after my first attempt at rattle-canning with Krylon. It's not as light in color as the pics reflect. I need to re-do it, this time keeping the bolt and bottom metal unpainted.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Last edited by gdvan01; July 25, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old July 25, 2013, 10:00 AM   #16
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Gdvan01, thanks brother. The SPS Tactical is all stock except lightening the trigger and using expiry in the lands of the stock to stiffen it.

The other though , is my baby. There is nothing stock about her.. From a side bolt release, to the Kreigel barrel. A good buddy of mine built it as a competition rifle, I finally talked him into selling it. All I did was put my glass on it.

The R700 is my favorite rifle. Not just because I have more experience with them, but they have so many after market parts and pieces that the sky's the limit on what you can do to one.

Oh gdvan01, don't knock your rattle can. It looks great and some of the best snipers in the service use rattle cans. I love the Punisher logo btw. The 700P is a tack driver and hard to beat..

All of the rifles on here are great looking. The R700, to me it just doesn't get much better....
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 1, 2013, 09:56 AM   #17
Sierra280

Glad to see so much support for the R700. I have a sps varmint in .308 I'm building up right now (as my budget allows) One of my buddies has 3 700's (22-250, 25-06, 300rum), and my step father has taken plenty of elk and deer with his 30-06 BDL. Great rifles, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.
Old August 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #18
tAKticool

Basically the best in the business!

There are other rifles, but no other rifle can show off it was selected to be the issue sniper rifle of both the United States Marine Corps *AND* United States Army for over 4 maybe 5 decades!

THE Remington 700!

And the best part is, you can start small and stay small or start upgrading! A "basic" 700 is still one of the finest off the shelf production rifles for the price and comparison there is. And if you want you can have plenty of work, upgrading, parts/gunsmith tender-loving-care etc. as much as your pocket can afford.

Here is my new pretty-much completed rig, or as I like to affectionately call it my Sniper Rifle System

Started life as a Remington 700 'SPS Tactical AAC-SD' and became a Manners T5A/AAC-SD ... the baddest .308 in the forest ;p
Old August 1, 2013, 05:39 PM   #19
CharlieDeltaJuliet

tAKticool, you are lucky, you can see how I had to modify my T5A to fit the long action. They are great chassis. I love mine.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 1, 2013, 06:04 PM   #20
cw308

What are you going to use it for , if target shooting, look at the Remington LE sight. 700P & 700 LTR also has the Remington M24 Viet Nam sniper rifle. There up there in price but you don't have to do much to make it a tack driver. I have a Rem 700 LTR 308 Cal. 20" brl. it's my #1 rifle.
Old August 1, 2013, 06:12 PM   #21
PawPaw

On the other hand, my Remington 700 ADL is bone stock, and it left Ilion in 1983. It's a .308 and wears a Leupold VX1. Really, it's a standard hunting rifle, one of several in my locker.

All I really did to it is install the scope and sling. Even so, with a good handload, it'll stack them in an inch at 100 yards, and has been a very good friend in the game fields. I have other rifles, but I have a grandson who really likes that particular rifle. He's 13 now, and when we go shooting, this is the rifle he gravitates toward. He says he likes the way it feels in his hand, and he shoots it very well. (Don't tell him, but he's getting that rifle for Christmas.)

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 2, 2013, 09:29 AM   #22
gdvan01

Quote:
(Don't tell him, but he's getting that rifle for Christmas.)
That's awesome...good job, Granddad.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old August 2, 2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Clark

I think the Rem 700 has features that make it inexpensive to produce that may affect function:
1) receiver has round bottom
2) push feed
3) small extractor
4) safety on trigger
5) simple bolt
6) bolt handle attached with screw and solder
7) recoil lug is a modified washer that is captured by the receiver and barrel
8) round hole in bolt face for spring loaded plunger ejector
9) No inner C ring, so the only thing holding the barrel to the receiver is the tenon threads in tension.

I own (3) Rem 700 rifles.
4-1-2001
I got a Rem 700 22-250 BDL for $180 at a gun show
They wanted $200 but I dickered them down.
It was made in 1971

7-19-2009
I took off the barrel, stock, scope mounts, and bottom metal.
I cut threads and chamber and put on a Krieger 6mmBR barrel and Choate Ultimate Sniper stock and EGW scope mount.
-------------------------------------------------------------
6-23-2012
I got a Rem 700 7mmRM ADL for $300 at a gun show
They wanted $350, but I told them to keep the scope.
It was made May 1963 with a stainless Hart barrel painted black.

10-4-2012
I took off the barrel and the stock and the .185" thick pitted out recoil lug, the Weaver bases.
I cut threads and chamber and installed a Shilen #3 match stainless in 7mmRM, .250" thick Rc42 recoil lug, Bansner High tech specialties ADL stock with large limbsaver recoil pad, Holland recoil lug, EGW one piece mount,
Drilled a 3/32"hole in the receiver face .605" below the barrel center for a .094" pin to hold the recoil lug in place.
Painted the stock and barrel with Alumni-hide II
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-8-2012
I got a Rem 700 7mmRM ADL for $395 + tax = $432.53 at DJ's
It came with a Leupold 3x9x40 vari x IIc scope
It was made August 1994

Pic above same as link below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg three Rem700 8-2-2013.jpg (78.8 KB, 1823 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 2, 2013, 12:50 PM   #24
Sierra280

cw308 is right, the 700p is great. A 700 sps varmint is the same gun, just with a cheap stock - and much cheaper than a 700P
Old August 2, 2013, 01:11 PM   #25
tAKticool

Quote:
cw308 is right, the 700p is great. A 700 sps varmint is the same gun, just with a cheap stock - and much cheaper than a 700P
A Lot of the rifles differ in stock basically.

I pretty much agree with you. The SPS Varmint is a 26" Heavy Barrel "Varmint Contour" rifle with an extremely cheap, Chinese injection molded "synthetic" stock. The 700P has a 26" Heavy Barrel "Tactical Contour" that is, Surprise! Same barrel! Same action! But it comes in the [entry level] HS Precision tactical stock. While not an absolutely amazing stock it is a big step from the original SPS stock , partly because of how bad they actually are.

That is something I tried to explain to some local gun forum guys about 6 to 10 months prior in discussions. I KNEW I would be replacing my stock and also knew I wanted the shorter rifle (as I am a smaller guy and wanted to keep it handy rather than cumbersomely large for me.) ... And for that reason there was no reason for me to buy a 700P, it's not POLICE Better because it says P, it's the same action we all get, and if you have a tactical, varmint, or sendero model, you have essentially the same barrel in varying sizes and varying plus/minuses.

I have commented in my own thread on how I went the entire battleground back and forth in a new stock search.. From thinking about going retro M40A1 build and getting a camo McMillan HTG General Purpose Hunting stock ... to then maybe M24 build, and the HS Precision M24 Tactical, then the M24 Fully adjustable tactical / thumbhole ... then sort of settled on the AICS ... and decided almost certainly I had to have a chassis system rather than a conventional rifle stock because I needed the bolt and go perfection rather than a gunsmith bedding job, AND the need for detachable magazines. And would be an AICS owner if they were ins stock when I was ready to buy ....but I ended up Making The Right (BEST) Choice and went Manners Composite Stocks, and now proudly rock a MCS T5A DBM AAC-SD... the best combo I could have hoped for ;P

Tags
700 , bolt action , remington , remington 700 , rifle