The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 4, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Major Disorder

Problems ejecting brass from a Rem 700

Hi,

I'm over the pond in the UK and have just started using a new rifle I've had built. It's a little unusual in that it's a Rem 700 chambered in .45ACP.

The problem I'm having is that when trying to eject the spent case it's not making it out of the ejection port (it extracts from the chamber just fine). I think the issue is that as the ACP case is so short, it's pinging out of the bolt head before the bolt has retracted enough past the port.

Anyone ever tried using a Rem 700 with pistol calibres and got them to eject? Any ideas / modifications for me to try?

Old April 4, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

The ejector is doing what it's supposed to do. However, the Rem 700 Short Action was never designed for the pistol caliber cartridge in mind.

Open the action slowly and see at which point the shell begins ejecting. You may have to open up the ejection port. However, knowing the 700, I suspect that once the case is unsupported (which it would be after exiting the chamber), it would automatically begin to eject. So, if it's ejecting where the lugs lock up in the receiver, then there's nothing you can do about it.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:35 PM   #3
eldermike

Could you remove the ejector spring and slot the bolt for a bump style ejector?
The bumper could be a set screw and the slot would need to follow rotation and reward forward travel.
Old April 4, 2013, 11:12 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The ejector is spring loaded, so the case is being forced outward as soon as it clears the chamber. But the case is too short to be clear of the receiver ring at that point, to I think it is hanging up, not on the ejector port of that "shroud" but in the receiver ring of the base rifle.

Jim
Old April 5, 2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Jerry45

If I had a rifle built and it didn't function properly I'd take/send it back to whomever built it and get them to make it to function properly.

Tags
45 acp , remington 700