The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2010, 06:21 PM   #1
rbf420

What i need to start loading shotgun

The only reason i want to load shot shells is to use slugs in them, as they are very expensive to buy. what all do i need to get started on loading slugs? are the less shot gun presses worth the money or should i go more expensive? thanks for the help!
Old August 6, 2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Locoweed

If I were only going to load slugs I would use my RCBS shotshell dies mounted to my RCBS single stage press. I think they are still on the market. I think you would have to buy a special roll crimper as a star crimp won't work.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Sport45

Quote:
The only reason i want to load shot shells is to use slugs in them, as they are very expensive to buy.
Have you looked at Wal-Mart? Seems like last time I looked they had value-packs of Buck and Slugs that were reasonable, something like $9 or $10 for 15 rounds. Sorry I can't help with the reloading question. I don't shoot enough shotgun to make it worthwhile.
Old August 6, 2010, 11:47 AM   #4
snuffy

RBF, you're going to need some sort of press. If all you want to load is slugs, the lee load-all will do that(2-¾). If you want to load other lengths, like 3", then look for a used mec 600jr, or buy a new 600 jr-mark 5.

One option is casting your own slugs. There's three molds made right now that will cast slugs the can be loaded at home. 2 of those can be used inside a normal shotcup, like a sabot slug. Both can be used in smoothbore barrels. The lee key slug and the lyman sabot slug. The lee comes in 7/8 or 1 ounce versions for 12 ga. only The Lyman is almost 1-¼ ounces,(525 grains). Both can be loaded in a star crimped shell.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*685***8657***

The 3rd version is the Lyman foster type hollow based, full bore slug. It's made to sit on top of fiber wads, and be roll crimped.

If you don't cast, then you will have to load slugs you buy. Here's where to get them.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=71

Ballistic products also has a slug loading manual, look on the above website.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 6, 2010, 12:20 PM   #5
kraigwy

Mec 600 JR.

Find the bushing that throws the powder you want for the weight of slug you're shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 6, 2010, 08:45 PM   #6
rtpzwms

Get a good used MEC off ebay and save some $$. Look for and older one with all metal parts. If you should get a bad one by chance MEC will referb it for a flat fee if I remember correctly.