The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Norrick

I need a manual

I've finally decided to finish what I started. I have most of the equipment already on a bench that I've never used. I had planned on it but never really got around to it.

Can someone recommend to me a good manual or two? I am going to be reloading 45 colt (long) for a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I don't know if the manuals are specific to certain calibers (handgun, rifle, etc.) is why I am mentioning this. I don't know if there are separate documentations for specific load data.

One more thing. I have a carbide die set for .454 casull. Will this work for 45 colt or are the slight dimensional differences enough to get a set for 45 colt? I Do believe the 454 is a bit longer and the brass is thicker.

For now just range use, but long term goal is hunting.

Last edited by Norrick; August 4, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Sport45

The Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook is a good one. The ABC's of Reloading is supposed to be good too, but I've never looked at one.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:00 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

so many good choices

Lyman Pistol & Revolver
Hodgdon Annual Manual
Sierra
Accurate
Hornady
Hodgdon #26.

But not that LEE ABC's......
Old August 4, 2010, 09:09 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
...One more thing. I have a carbide die set for .454 casull. Will this work for 45 colt or are the slight dimensional differences enough to get a set for 45 colt? I Do believe the 454 is a bit longer and the brass is thicker...
No. Your .454 die set will not work for .45 Colt. I will let someone else tell you why.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:16 AM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
... I don't know if the manuals are specific to certain calibers (handgun, rifle, etc.) is why I am mentioning this. I don't know if there are separate documentations for specific load data ...
Most loading manuals (there is one that is just for a particular cartridge), cover most cartridges, albeit there are new ones introduced all the time. All manuals, except the one series that are cartridge specific, will have data for the .45 Colt.
Old August 4, 2010, 03:40 PM   #6
steelman762

I have found the LEE reloaders hand book to be quite informative. I learned how to reload with this book. I have the ABC`s of Reloading also which was a help also. You can get load data from the gun powder manufacturer on line. accuratepowder.com, imrpowder.com and alliantpowder.com. Lyman has a great book for cowboy reloads.