The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old November 9, 2008, 07:34 PM   #1
freethrow

Investment Question

I would like to know what guns would be a smart investment to buy at this current time frame. I am located in the Tampa Bay area. I own a couple of hand guns and a shotgun, but nothing that would be of investment grade..I would like to spend approx 5 to 10K depending on what recommendations I receive. I know l need to do some homework but need to start somewhere. These guns will be for investment purposes only and not to shoot.. Thanks for any information.
Old November 9, 2008, 11:34 PM   #2
fastforty

I have a number of guns that I purchased new or in excellent condition 20-40 years ago and some of them have doubled in "value" & all of them have "gone up" in "value" (price). As with anything that has investor/collector value, condition is paramount for maximum return & ease of liquidating. New, off-the-rack firearms today aren't going to offer noteworthy returns (considering inflation). Older, out-of-production firearms of particular interest are what you are looking for & even then you're not going to go out & buy 5-10k worth of them in the next month or even the next year & expect to make money on them anytime within the next decade or few. Keep your eyes open for *good* deals & don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket while you're waiting (some folks wait their entire lives never to stumble across a "good deal" on anything better then a run-of-the-mill shooter).
Old November 10, 2008, 12:00 AM   #3
Swampghost

+1 fastforty. The guns that I'm making money on now I invested in 40 yrs. ago. The market is currently slow. I also posted on another one of your threads.

Here, the market is pretty dead. Buy what you know and wait. It'll come back. Right now I'm interested in antiques, somewhere that I have been before.

My feelings are that Obama will put the squeeze on us when he finds time and I wouldn't want a cache of AK's or other auto's as my nut.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:08 AM   #4
freethrow

Investment

Thanks for all the information, could anyone recommend an honest gun collector in the Tampa Bay area. I am in no hurry what so ever, (and would put them in a safe for the long haul) just thought it might not be a bad idea to include some guns in my portfolio. I will do some reasearch and at the worst I would hope to end up with some nice guns. Happy holidays.

Scott
Old November 11, 2008, 02:51 PM   #5
rjarms

Investment options.

For firearms then I'd recommend semi-automatics and the magazines. Considering an upcoming AWB by the new administration AR-15's and 30rd mags.

Best "investment" returns dividends that get reinvested and can be sold on the open market, which rules out guns. For the money I'd put it into a Roth IRA. But if your set on buying firearms then buy AR-15's

Most commercial firearms lose money unless they are rare, or of high quality and limited production. My favorite "collector" rifle pick would be the Garand, but chances are you'll get ripped off unless you know what your buying.