The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Cosmodragoon

Would you trust Ballistol in your .460 or .500?

I have previously used a variety of solvents, lubricants, and all-in-ones. With a baby on the way, I've given serious thought to going non-toxic with my maintenance supplies. I suppose that would be better for me too, considering what I've since read about the Break-free CLP I've been using. So there are a few products out there but Ballistol seems to be a very popular all-in-one. From Hickock45 to random forum denizens, people rave about it for everything from squeaky door hinges to their AK47.

The problem is that I haven't seen a good discussion on its properties between semi-automatics and revolvers. I also haven't seen a discussion on its use in high-power revolvers. I'd try just about anything on my little .32 S&W. Do I really want to rely on it for my .460?

I know people can be particular but I figured I'd open it up here. What are your experiences? Would you trust it?
Old June 29, 2013, 11:02 AM   #2
WIL TERRY

LET ME SEE HERE....it worked fine on the Hun's Maxim's running through 5,000,000 frenchman........NOOOOO, I would not trust it on some silly old fashioned pistolver...
Old June 29, 2013, 11:05 AM   #3
SgtLumpy

Maybe I don't understand the question.

What is there to "trust" or "not trust" about Ballistol in those particular calibers?

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 29, 2013, 11:14 AM   #4
chiefr

Is there any all in ones that do not have a child proof lid? Hoppe's #9 is the only stuff I use.
Old June 29, 2013, 11:31 AM   #5
mudlark

Cos

I went to Ballistol for my do all close to ten yrs ago. (with the exception of those areas where I feel grease is necessary).

I do not have the technical skills to satisfy your request for a discussion on its properties between semis and revolvers.

I can tell you that I use it on my .357, .45, AK, mini 14, AR, BT99 and everything in between.

I have been very satisfied with the product.

Congrats on the new one on the way. In that regard, I agree completely. Do everything you can to keep their environment healthy. Best wishes to you and mom.

ml
Old June 29, 2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Pahoo

Ballstols has a "slight" odor

Quote:
With a baby on the way, I've given serious thought to going non-toxic with my maintenance supplies.
I think this is a valid consideration and commend you for it. I had the same concerns when I was raising my babies. If I used any solvents like Hoppe's #9, it was in the garage. I use and trust Ballistol but might add that it does have a slight smell that pretty much stays at your work station. I also use a low odor Outers product. I would recommend you use it in you basement, if you have one of them. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7
jknight8907

Re: Would you trust Ballistol in your .460 or .500?

I don't see what difference caliber would make.
Old June 29, 2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Cosmodragoon

To clear up any confusion, I'm no expert on these issues. I just wondered if the protective and lubricative properties are adequate for firearms that operate under greater heat and pressure. I guess I should have asked "Is Ballistol really the miracle all-in-one for maintenance?" but I wanted to bypass discussions about how it can damage nickel, zinc, brass, gold leaf, etc...
Old June 29, 2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Sheriff Gotcha

It's kept my CZ and FNS in perfect working order all while shooting, carrying and storing for extended periods of time. They are both 9mm and semi's (one with a 22 conversion kit) so I am unsure about the conditions under higher pressures and such, but I don't see why Ballistol would break down at that point.
Old June 29, 2013, 04:46 PM   #10
SgtLumpy

The only chemical I've ever used in any gun is CLP (BreakFree, not Ballistol). I don't have a 460 or a 500 but I've shot over 100k rounds through a 357 with probably a quarter of those magnums, the other 3/4 38s.

The US military has certainly put a few bazillion rounds through M16s, 1911s, M9s, M60s etc with CLP as the only chemical. Ballistol's been around for a hundred years in military and civilian use. I can't imagine a few hundred or thousand rounds through a 460 or 500 revolver would be anywhere near the stresses put on military guns.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 29, 2013, 04:51 PM   #11
Chowder

I love ballistol, it is my primary cleaner/lubricant. 10k+ rounds in my model 18 and a bit less than that in a glock I don't own anymore and no issues.
Old June 29, 2013, 09:36 PM   #12
saleen322

Gun Oils

This is one of the better articles on firearms lubrication. Hope this helps.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
Old June 30, 2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Pahoo

Trust has it's limits !!

Quote:
"Is Ballistol really the miracle all-in-one for maintenance?"
By my measure, it is not and right now, I am not in a position or attitude to trust it to all services. I use other products that have provided, proven performance and like most folks, that is where I stop. ....

A good example, is my use of WD-40. I use it for a specific purpose but it sure has it's limitations. I suspect the same is true for Ballistol. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old June 30, 2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Sgt127

Ballistol does everything pretty well. It doesn't do any one thing incredibly well. But it's a very good all around product for firearms care. There are times a more potent solvent may work better. A grease would hold up better. Something else may protect a little longer.

There are really no sliding or moving parts in a .460 or a .500 that are any different than a Smith K frame. Ballistol will work fine.

Really, I have 75-80 year old revolvers and autos that likely never seen anything more high tech than Singer sewing machine oil, Three in One or Ballistol until I got ahold of them. They all held up just dandy.
Old June 30, 2013, 12:44 PM   #15
savit260

Quote:
It doesn't do any one thing incredibly well.
When cut with water, it's about the best Black Powder solvent/cleaner out there IMO.

That's all I'll use on anything that shoots BP, and then wipe down and coat barrel with straight Ballistol when done.

Seems to work well on smokless when used straight out of the bottle.

Good stuff all around, but it really shines when used in guns that shoot the Holy Black.
Old June 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
buckhorn_cortez

If you want non-toxic - Gunzilla or Frog Lube. For cleaning, Gunzilla works as well as the target shooter's classic mixture - Shooter's Choice + Kroil. Frog Lube has a minty smell and Gunzilla is ordorless.

For copper fouling, KG-12 is odorless and water-based.
Old June 30, 2013, 04:57 PM   #17
t4terrific

Would you trust Ballistol in your .460 or .500?

Wait a second. You own guns, yet you are not capable of keeping solvents out of the hands of children?
Old June 30, 2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Pahoo

What I think, I understand ???

Quote:
You own guns, yet you are not capable of keeping solvents out of the hands of children?
Well now, that is not what I read into his question. I'm still thinking he is talking about the potential of harmful fumes, but once again, I could be wrong. I say this because I too had to make some adjustments when my babies first came into the house as well post no-smoking signs, on our front door. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 30, 2013, 09:01 PM   #19
Cosmodragoon

Pahoo is correct. Some people get carried away with pointless safety or environmental concerns which are not grounded in reality. t4terrific may be used to dealing with these folks. However, it is a matter of fact that shooting, maintenance, and reloading generally involve toxic substances which can be deleterious to the health of your family. Pregnant women and small children can be more susceptible to harm from long-term exposure to these substances. Knowing this, it is as incumbent upon us to minimize their exposure to these substances as it is to practice other aspects of gun safety.

Since I don't have a viable shed or garage in which to work, I am exploring non-toxic or less-toxic alternatives to volatile solvents and such.
Old July 1, 2013, 03:12 AM   #20
ClydeFrog

Ballistol...

I've owned a few cans of Ballistol since 1997 or so.
I think it's great for most firearm/gun care uses. It's safe, non toxic, CFC free and easy on the wallet, .
I've used it around the home & on gear/footwear too.
Other good CLPs include; LPX, Slip2000, Weaponshield, and Gunzilla.
Gunzilla has a cool infomercial like video that makes it seem great.
It and LPX got a good rep in SW Asia with US armed services. They used Gunzilla on M9 pistols, M249 machine guns(SAWs), M2 .50BMGs, sniper rifles, etc.

Several years ago, I cleaned & oiled my cousin's worn out old 1100 12ga shotgun with Ballistol. It got all the crud, rust, lead, carbon out of it and made the wood stock shine, .

CF
www.gunzilla.us www.weaponshield.com www.mpro7.com www.brownells.com
Old July 1, 2013, 11:27 AM   #21
HKGuns

For anyone who read the article, here is the web store for Lubriplate where you can get less than wholesale quantities of their products. It also beats Mr. Cunningham's attempt to sell you this stuff under his name in tiny quantities at severely inflated prices.

The two best in class products mentioned in the article are:

Oil:
Lubriplate FMO 350-AW

Grease:
Lubriplate "SFL" NLGI #0

Food Grade Best in Class Grease and Oil for Firearms
Old July 2, 2013, 08:10 AM   #22
Rifleman1776

"trust" ? "baby" ?
I don't understand your concerns.
Ballistol is the most popular gun lubricant in the world. Less so in the U.S. But it is an excellent product, as are many others.
Just do what works for you.
Too many of these unfounded concerns and you will soon be walking around with a foil helmet on your head.
Old July 2, 2013, 09:37 AM   #23
Blackwood

I use Ballistol for different calibers up to .454 casull. If there are more impurities than usual, I use Robla Solo Mil it loosens copper, tombac and lead excellent and it is from the Ballistol factory
Old July 2, 2013, 09:38 AM   #24
ClydeFrog

Hoppes #9 bore cleaner....

Id add that the older Hoppes #9 bore cleaner is a good add-on/addition to Ballistol or Gunzilla/Slip2000.
It has a nice scent and no fumes or strong odors.
There's a new format of Hoppes for modern weapons(polymer frames).

CF
Old July 2, 2013, 10:59 AM   #25
Dave Chuppa

Ballistol

I use Ballistol on everything I possibly can use it for. From Guns to my Hardwood Floors. The only thing is it does not cleen the burn rings from Revolver Cylinders.

Tags
ballistol