The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 18, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Anyone have a An IX De Gendarmerie?

Anyone have one? How do they shoot? Looks like A very neat little Pistole Been thinking about getting something new that you don't see everyday at the range and I love flintlocks....never had a flinter pistol though.

Pedersoli
Old January 19, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2
TomADC

No, but I do like the looks of that one very nice.
I used to see a lot of those types when I was in Spain & Italy in the mid 70's.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Beagle333

Wow, that is pretty.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
bedbugbilly

Berdan - you sure made me do a "double take" when I saw the picture of it. Believe it or not, I recently sold an original piece that is identical to that with the exception of the lock marking. I had purchased it at an auction probably close to 50 years ago. I even sent a photo of mine to Robert Abels - he was a well known dealer in NY many years ago and he put out catalogs of antique firearms that he had for sale on a regular basis in the 1960s). Based on the markings on my lock (unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what they were and I don't have access to them as I'm in AZ for the winter) he figured that what I had was a "French Coach Pistol". Basically, a small pistol carried by passengers for protection at the time. Mine had a bore that appeared to be about a .69 to a .75.

What you show in the photo looks like a very nice repro. I'm sure it would be fun to shoot - not terribly accurate though unless for up close SD distances.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Beagle333

IX De Gendarmerie

Quote:
not terribly accurate though unless for up close SD distances.
But can you imagine the look on the BG's face when you whipped this out? He'd surely bet he was fixin' to get blasted by a Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator instead of an antique from the Napoleonic era.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:02 PM   #6
deerslayer303

^^^^ I'm willing to think all the BG's attention would be focused on that HUMONGOUS hole int he end of that muzzle!
Old January 20, 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Nice new pistol no doubt. My suggestion. Shop around for a T/C Patriot instead. There is a big difference between them. One is price the other pictured one here is a: point it in the right direction type. The Patriot is not. (it has adjustable sights) But OP you purchase which ever. All's good.