The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2001, 07:01 PM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Anyone use the Lee Taper Crimp die, specifically in .45?

I'm reloading on a Lee Turret Press. I do all my sizing and decapping before hand, along with priming on a Lee hand tool, so I'm essentially not using that third station.

I know a lot of people say that it's better to crimp after seating.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 6, 2001, 01:32 PM   #2
saands

I don't use the taper crimp die, but I swear by their Factory Crimp ... I'm pretty sure that these are two different dies, here. Anyway, the Factory Crimp does the crimp (and a final resizing of the case) after the seating and is a good use of the extra station. I have seen them very reasonable priced at MidSouth Shooters Supply.
Be safe,
Saands
Old May 6, 2001, 01:55 PM   #3
Coolray

I have the auto index turret press and like you I decap then hand prime. so I bought a Lee factory crip die to put in the third hole. That was a great thing to do,the crimp die resizes the whole case when it crimps the bullet and therefore I don't have any FTF from my rounds. I use the factory crimp die in 9mm and .45ACP.

all my decap dies are on a different turret.
I use the Lee auto disk powder measure connected to the expander die in station #1 bullet seat die in station #2 and Factory crimp die in station #3 I load a box of 50 in 8 minutes.

Old May 7, 2001, 01:41 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Coolray,

If I end up getting the factory crimp die (which is a taper crimp die), our press setups will be exactly the same.

Old May 7, 2001, 09:55 AM   #5
Poodleshooter

I use a .45ACP Lee speed die and taper crimp with that. I use very little crimp at all (about 1/4 turn), as most of my loads are with Bullseye, and I don't need much powder burn time.
Old May 7, 2001, 10:42 PM   #6
dick w. holliday

i use taper crimps on my 9mm/38super/45acp..very satisfied w/results...the factory crimper which lee makes also has a carbide sizer i think to check the base of the hull...i'd like to have some just because i don't have them but normally if i have a problem w/chambering i find that i have set my seating die to long and the lead protruding from the casing is htting the front of the chamber...don't seem to have a problem with the base of casing being too big.....i will say this however...when i resize my 9mm and 38 super and 40..i do it not on my auto press but on my single stage and use a cut down shellholder so i can get more of casing in the die...also use spray lube on them just to cut down on wear to the casing...then wash them all in lacquer thinner..then run through auto press when dry...Dick
Old May 8, 2001, 01:57 PM   #7
jthuang

I have several Lee factory crimp dies -- 9mm Luger, .40 S&W and .223 Remington. IMHO they are well worth the extra cost, as I used to have the occasional misfeed with my reloads when using the standard RCBS seat/crimp die. No misfeeds at all with my reloads now!

Justin
Old May 8, 2001, 03:38 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

JT,

That's pretty much the reason why I'm considering the Lee die.

I've been getting misfeeds or problems chambering because of problems adjusting the crimping/seating die, so I figure that it would be easier, and more precise, to move the process to two steps since I have the extra die station.