The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 8, 2010, 01:19 PM   #1
doh_312

New Shooting Tech?

I had an interesting, and fun, shooting day with a cop friend of mine. He's a recent addition to the force. We headed to an open hilly area, proper backstops and what not. Set up multiple targets and had a blast.

The suggestion I found most interesting from my friend was to practice drawing, presenting, and firing from the ground. As if someone had pushed you down and you found yourself on your back. Great practice! I think it is highly likely you may find yourself on the ground in a defensive situation. If the perps get the drop on you, or what ever the case may be.

Just thought I'd make mention of practicing that. Never occured to me until he suggested it.
Old February 10, 2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Big Bill

You and your friend should slug yourselves in the gut too, before you go down on the ground, just to make it more realistic. But, seriously, that's good practice; and, we should all think about doing it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 10, 2010, 11:24 PM   #3
ProjectCamaro

That is great practice.
There is nothing scarier for a police officer than to be on his back but we are all trained for it because it does happen from time to time and you MUST be ready for it. (I'm talking about with and without using a weapon to turn the tables on your attacker)
Old February 11, 2010, 10:08 AM   #4
doh_312

Ya, took one in the gut then taunted one another. As realistic as it can get Actually I think my buddy just want me to get covered in dirt and grass, thats why he brought up that kinda practice. It was a really fun way to shoot, I'd never get away with that at my local range.

How do y'all practice for something like that? Hand to hand combat skills as well or just weapon deployment and useage?
Old February 15, 2010, 08:42 AM   #5
highcaliberprovider

You have to train yourself for every possible scenario in LE. I always scoffed at the idea of "dummy guns" until I started practice myself. Skills such as ground defense are a necessity. But you also need to train yourself for scenarios involving weapons malfunctions. Guns are machines. And like all machine, sometimes they just wont work. Although it it the most effective, remember that "the bullet" is not the only part of the firearm that can be used as a weapon. Also don't forget that many states require the use of "proportionate force." That is; your allowed to draw your weapon if attacked, but, unless they have a "deadly" weapon you can not fire yours without accruing assault or manslaughter charges. In cases such as this I try to practice the "muzzle shove." Remove your finger from firing position, firmly hold your weapon, and as fast and straight as you can shove the muzzle into your attacker sternum. This will usually knock your attacker off balance at the least.
Old February 15, 2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Maromero

Highcal:

I'm not an instructor or "expert" regarding this topic and actualy the training I have received might be outdated but sticking your gun towards an attacker is contrary to what I was trained. If your gun is already drawn which means there is a situation were at least can easely escalate into a dangerous/lethal situation to you or a third party, and the individual is at arms length, I argue against puting your gun within the grasp of the individual. My 2 cents.
Old February 15, 2010, 11:50 AM   #7
doh_312

My first thought was right line with the last post. Not sure I want to push my weapon away from me, and closer to a BG. However, I'm not in LE, so I'm not charged with duty to subdue criminals. Perhaps there is some situation where an officer would have his sidearm out, but not want to pull the trigger, in which case this may be his only option.

I cant think of a situation where that is the case though.