The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2007, 01:25 AM   #1
cjw3cma

One Shotgun / Multiple Uses

I have just one (1) shotgun and would like to be able to use it for more than home defense (Remington Express Tactical 7 round with 18" smooth bore barrel - to which I've added a Choate MK5 Adjustable pistol grip stock, Aimtech scope mount with a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot scope and on the magazine extension a tactical flashlight system).

I'm thinking of sending the barrel to Mike Orlen to have him add Rem choke threads to it so I can use (1) an extended rifle choke tube for slugs and (2) an extended ported turkey choke tube (The Ventilator).

Does this "setup" makes sense for the occasional shooter? From what I've been able to read (online) it can be done, but is it a good idea?
Old July 9, 2007, 07:59 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A suggestion, see how you do with slugs now. Using one of my smoothbore 870s with peep and slug of choice, groups under 5" ETE at 100 yards are the rule.

Another 870 set up similar but with a rifled choke tube in place gets less than an inch tighter.

And for the money Erlen charges for his excellent work, you can pick up a used 870 with longer, choked barrel for hunting, clays and just plain fun.

HTH....
Old July 9, 2007, 08:17 AM   #3
ebutler462

May I suggest that you send the barrel to Polychoke and have them install their Deluxe Polychoke on it. Some people say they are ugly but they look wicked on a defense weapon. Also, it will give you the most versatile gun that you will ever have. No tinkering that those blasted screw-in chokes. Just dial in your desired choke and go shooting whatever, game, clays, snakes, two and no legged snakes (bad guys).

Use Cylinder for slugs, and whatever other choke you need for other shooting from open to super full. Great for turkeys.