The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 24, 2014, 11:04 AM   #26
Unlicensed Dremel

Hey Mystro - looks so very very sweet. And if Leupold also warrants the firedot electronics, there's no downside there -worth the price.

I really like that 2-12x42 (no side focus to mess with).

So let me ask you, if you know: Is it the case that ALL fire-dot VX6 varieties come with both the (a) auto turnoff, and (b) motion-sensor auto turn-on? (Or is it just certain fire-dot VX6s? )

Also, when it "auto-ons", is the intensity setting (brightness) on the lowest setting, the highest, or somewhere in the middle? Or just whatever setting it was on when it "auto-offed"?

Dang you - now I "need" one of these scopes.

As usual from Leupold, this are light weight for what you get, relative to the competition - that 2-12x42 is the goldilocks hunting scope. I have a 2-12x50 Burris "Six-X" on one rifle, which is a very nice scope, but that VX6 would be lighter, have the fire-dot, and probably have slightly better glass. That is suh-weet. Ugh, another "must have" - my wallet isn't liking this!

http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-12x42-VX-6...pe-P51655.aspx
Old August 24, 2014, 11:24 AM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
the KISS principle
+1.

On a hunting rifle, simple is good.

A 3-9x40 (my objective lens is a measley 32mm!) is plenty for a hunting rig in .270WIN ..... if you need much more magnification than that to see your game, it's too far, get closer.

More important than how powerful your glass is ..... is how well the scope fits the gun ...... stand at port arms, look at a taget across the room, close your eyes and shoulder the gun as if to shoot that target. Now, open your eyes. Are you seeing the crosshairs superimposed over the target? Or are you looking at the scope bases? Correct fit is important for both speed and percieved recoil reduction ..... too many folks mount scopes too large for the sight plane the gun was designed for ....

I keep mine on 3 or 4x ....... if the critter is so far away I need to see it better, then I have ample time to turn up the power. You might not have that time on a very close animal ..... and leading a moving target in a tiny field of view is not easy .....
Old August 24, 2014, 10:07 PM   #28
RC20

Fully agreed on the setting for hunting. Low as possible.

However for bench shooting....... 9 or so at 100 and I like the option of going to a longer range so I opted for the more powerfull one.

I also used my 9 power (at the time) scope for scanning when I was in a fixed position. Easier than binoculars though I kept those on hand as well
Old August 24, 2014, 10:59 PM   #29
reynolds357

Scanning with the scope. You are about to get lectured and flamed.
Old August 24, 2014, 11:21 PM   #30
jimbob86

Having been "scanned" by an idiot using his riflescope for binoculars, I take a rather dim view of the practice......
Old August 25, 2014, 08:37 AM   #31
reynolds357

Yeah, I am not crazy about it either. I will watch my shooting lanes with the scope, but I do not scan. I have never seen a person on my land during deer season that did not tell me first they would be there. If they are, its a trespasser.
Old August 28, 2014, 04:29 AM   #32
Bennyfatsack

I'm hearing you ( unlicensed dremel) already priced one myself, now can't make up mind to save for the vx6 or keep saving for the Burris eliminator......... Gunna have to get both, have to try the eliminator first never had one and look perfect to drop on my 7600 .308 scout. Where in lies the problem will then have more scopes than rifles...... Sorry wife time to add another to the collection, running out of calibres I can justify buying to the wife. Haven't used the might need a ZOMBIE gun yet!!!!!!
Old August 28, 2014, 08:22 AM   #33
Unlicensed Dremel

Hey Benny, the Eliminator is for people with *just one* rifle, right? Since the rangefinder is in there? If you have any others, you have to buy, carry and use your handheld rangefinder anyway. You have more than one rifle. Therefore, forget the Eliminator and get the VX-6.

By the way, yesterday I couldn't resist and put an Accupoint 3-9x40 with green triangle-post on layaway, since it was marked down from $750 to $525. Can't wait to get that dude on a rifle! It will be my best or second-best scope, so it will be fun just imagining which rifle to choose. Probably go on the Wby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .280 rem. It's gonna be a few years before I can afford a VX6, but dang they look nice!

You know, it's funny about the ol' standard 3-9x40 configuration....years ago, and for many years, I thought that config so hum-drum and boring - I wanted a high-power rig, dangit, or a low-powered rig, or a smaller objective or larger objective, for this reason or that reason. Then as I learned more and hunted more, I came to realize that there's a good reason that it's the most popular config. It really is the goldilocks config, with the best balance of everything for the general purpose hunting rifle. 3x is about the "max minimum" where one can still pretty easily and quickly pick up game up close in the woods, and 9x is about the "min maximum" where a long 200-250 yard shot on a deer/antelope/goat sized game still offers plenty of resolution for a kill zone hold without too much shake, and the 40mm objective has plenty-good-enough exit pupils for those magnifications for most people, without adding too much weight or putting your sight line too high to have a good cheek weld.

And the beauty of 3-9x40s is that because of their ubiquitousness, there's a lot of competition, and thus they are cheaper (better values) - rarely is this config a mistake for a hunter.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 28, 2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old August 28, 2014, 07:36 PM   #34
Mystro

All VX6 Firedots have auto shut off and motion turn on. I am not sure about lower models. The VX6 comes on the brightness intensity last set. In other words, I set mine 2nd to the lowest brightness. It is barely visible in bright sunlight but is perfect in low light or in deep pine woods. That's my personal preference. On high, it is bright enough to see in bright daylight. Its very much like fiber optic pins on your bow sight. Look through the scope and where the red dot is, the bullet goes. Great for snap shots. I never really adjust my Firedot intensity.
I have lots of quality scopes but the VX6 with Firedot is a clear leap forward and gives you a noticeable advantage with no down sides. All the high end scopes now have 6x magnification so 3x18 does it all. 2x12 is nice but in reality 3x is plenty low enough for a huge field of view for close shots. I set my parallax at 100 yards and I don't touch a thing from 3 power up to 12 power. After 12 power, I adjust parallax. The 2x12 isn't any smaller of a scope on the gun. I don't see much of a size difference between 40mm or 44mm. In reality 90% of my hunting shots are at 7 power or under. The last 10% of my shots are where having high magnification can make or break the shot. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
I know of a few very serious hunters in my area that go all over the world to hunt. Unanimously they are all using the VX6 series now and have nothing but praise. They are on high end production rifles as well as full blow custom rifles. I personally have not heard of any one not loving the VX6 series. Look around, you can find a sale on these for low enough money not to have to compromise on optics. Opticsplanet has sales on them from time to time.

Point of interest, the VX6 3x18 44mm weighs as much as my German Docter 3x9 40mm.

Quote:
Hey Mystro - looks so very very sweet. And if Leupold also warrants the firedot electronics, there's no downside there -worth the price.

I really like that 2-12x42 (no side focus to mess with).

So let me ask you, if you know: Is it the case that ALL fire-dot VX6 varieties come with both the (a) auto turnoff, and (b) motion-sensor auto turn-on? (Or is it just certain fire-dot VX6s? )

Also, when it "auto-ons", is the intensity setting (brightness) on the lowest setting, the highest, or somewhere in the middle? Or just whatever setting it was on when it "auto-offed"?

Dang you - now I "need" one of these scopes.

As usual from Leupold, this are light weight for what you get, relative to the competition - that 2-12x42 is the goldilocks hunting scope. I have a 2-12x50 Burris "Six-X" on one rifle, which is a very nice scope, but that VX6 would be lighter, have the fire-dot, and probably have slightly better glass. That is suh-weet. Ugh, another "must have" - my wallet isn't liking this!

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 28, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old August 28, 2014, 09:04 PM   #35
jrothWA

For my rifles, I have split between..

the Bushnell Banner "Dawn to Dusk" series in 1.5 -4X30mm range and recently have tried the Pentax"GameSeeker" with ballistic reticule in 3X9 X40mm.

Could you be more specific in usage? Close-in brush or slash forest areas?

longest range is???
Old August 30, 2014, 10:32 PM   #36
2ndtimer

The OP didn't mention his budget, but if he needs a bargain priced, decent performing scope, here are two great options that I have owned and used:
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...eticle%20Matte
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...Plex%20Reticle
The Weaver is a little lighter, the Nitrex has a little better optics, but is a little bulkier. I have owned both, and both are excellent value and quite serviceable for hunting with a .270 Win.
At more than double the price, there are no flies on the Leupold VX-2, and if you can find one, the Zeiss Conquest is another very fine 3-9X hunting scope, a little heavier than the Leupold, and perhaps a little better optically. Of course, if your budget is the VX-6 territory, go knock yourself out and look at all of those 4 figure scopes and pick the one you like best.
I have owned a Weaver V9 and used it to take my second career deer, a nice mulie doe. I currently own all 3 of the others, and would guess I spent less for all 3 combined than the current retail price of one VX-6. Good luck, but don't be afraid to go with one of the bargain scopes. I have had very good luck with all of them.
Old August 30, 2014, 11:10 PM   #37
baddarryl

I can vouch for that Nitrex 3*9*42. I have one on my 270 and really can't imagine getting better glass for the money.
Old September 1, 2014, 05:41 AM   #38
NWCP

Not knowing what distances you'll be shooting makes it a toss in the air as to what you should use. My centerfire rifles all sport either a Leupold, or a Vortex. They range from 3-9x40 to 4-16x50 depending on the rifle and the distance they'll be used at.