The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 1, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
BFROWNER

Gonna Try Different Ammo..please offer opinions

I have been shooting Remington 300 gr. hp in my bfr 45-70...I wanna try that Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr. Has anyone used this ammo in anything...I know Hornady is a decent ammo company...I would like to get some reviews. Thanks
Old March 1, 2010, 12:18 PM   #2
mete

I've found the typical factory 300s to be too fragile for my liking for deer. I went to the Win Partition 300 which is the Nosler partition bullet .Excellent penetration and expansion. From what I've heard of the leverrevolution you get flatter trajectory but it too is fairly fragile.
Old March 1, 2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Webleymkv

I've fired them out of my Marlin Guide Gun though I've not shot anything more exciting than a paper target with them. They seemed accurate enough but did have significantly more recoil than other factory 300grn JHP's I've shot (mainly Winchester and Remington).
Old March 1, 2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I've found the typical factory 300s to be too fragile for my liking for deer.
I've hunted with 300gr HP myself and didn't see any evidence that the bullet broke apart up contact with the whitetail. Punched a big hole on the way in and a slighly bigger hole on the way out.

I've got a box of the leverevolution 325gr myself but have never used them as I've been pretty happy with the Winchester 300 gr hunting rounds. Other than a slightly flatter flight, I wouldn't expect much difference between the two in a hunting situtation.