The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 29, 2002, 09:34 PM   #1
Banzai

SAKO style extractor for Remington bolt question

Who can do it?
What's it cost?
How long does it take to do?
Do I have to send just the bolt or the whole gun?
Is it worth it?
Any over riding reason to or not to get it done?

Thanks,
Tom
Old March 29, 2002, 10:22 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I'll reverse the question. Is there an overriding reason to have it done?

Jim
Old March 30, 2002, 05:56 AM   #3
Badger Arms

The extractor on the Remington 700 series rifles is a sound design and is really cheap for them to produce. It also allows for a fully enclosed case head. I've not heard of any problems beyond those that other rifles have with other types of extractors. If I were to build a rifle from scratch, I would definitely go for the Sako style extractor but if you've already got one and it ain't broken, why switch?
Old March 30, 2002, 08:55 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

While I agree with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought, just from what I've seen this past year alone would say that the factory extractor is the 700's weak spot. I looked back over my log from last year and while I had a bunch of 700s in for rebarreling, I only had 5 in for repair. All 5 had broken extractors. Installing the Sako style extractors is one of the most often asked for jobs on the 700 in my shop. I even made a jig a couple of years ago just for that operation. I've never had a rifle brought in with a Sako style extractor where the extractor was the problem. On the other hand it is much less expensive to have a new Rem extractor installed if you need one. Marlin is making the old riveted style for Brownells these days and they are about $45 installed vice about $85 for the Sako style. George
Old March 30, 2002, 08:38 PM   #5
Badger Arms

Thanks, George. I did't realize it was so expensive for the Remington extractor replacement. Is it that difficult? I'm wondering because I have a few 788's and would hate to have to pay somebody to replace the extractor. Is it pretty much a 'drill the rivet, peen a new one, sand' kinda job? Gotta break out the 788's.
Old March 31, 2002, 07:56 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Badger those are parts included. Remington no longer makes the replacement for the riveted style extractor. Brownells gets them from Marlin and they go for $15 ea. But yes it's a matter of drilling out the old, adjusting the extractor and peening in a new rivet. George
Old March 31, 2002, 01:01 PM   #7
Badger Arms

Riveted style? There's a new style? When will the wonder cease. The newest Remington I have is a 788 I believe came from the early 80's. My 700 is a Stainless barreled gun that's been blued at the factory! I think they stopped doing that in the early-mid 60's?
Old March 31, 2002, 01:59 PM   #8
JNewell

Search the Snipercountry archives

The extractor conversions seem to cause more problems than they solve -- a surprisingly large number of people who convert report problems. Maybe it's bad gunsmithing, maybe it's an incompatible design -- but IMHO the possible gain is greatly outweighed by the risks. I would leave it stock.
Old March 31, 2002, 10:57 PM   #9
Celt

Another vote for if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I have to back George as well.
When I worked warranty for Rem. The biggest and almost only repair done on 700's was the extractor.
Usually if they are good ones they will last.

I too install the Sako type extractor, but mainly do it on custom rifles, or only if the original is bad.

As for the bad reports on Sako styles, I would have to say they where not installed correctly. I have yet to see a properly installed one fail.
As for safety of them, I once intentionally kept loading hotter and hotter untill I got a case seperation in a rifle that I installed one in.
There was no sign of the extractor comming out along side of flying out at someone.
One done right will be next to impossible to fly out as when the bolt is in battery, it is partially blocked from this by the lug action.

Celt
Old April 18, 2002, 07:41 PM   #10
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Posted: 12-01-1999 09:55 PM
"The benefit of controlled feed is greatly exaggerated. Look at it this way the US
military hunt the most dangerous game on earth with Rem. Rifles .
When I designed the Marine M40A1 we considered replacing the extractor but when
we researched extractor failure we found it so incidental it
wasn't worth considering . The problem with installing the a M16 or Sako extractor is
when you blow a primer it turns to shrapnel" Gale McMillan