The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 23, 2011, 11:44 PM   #1

Can't believe it!

I got a Protektor rear rifle rest in the mail today and I can't find where to put the sand in it. Hard to believe.

Another thing. Is this thing gonna leak fine sand dust? If so how do I prevent or slow this down?

This is the 13B model.

Thanks,

Old September 24, 2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, 270. There should be a folded tab on underside, plus folded tabs for each "ear". These are tightly tucked in place so kind of hard to see. There has been reports of the fine black heavy sand as sold by Sinclaire and others having a tendency to leak thru seams..I use this heavy sand, and have had no leakage in over 20 years.
I think they suggest rubbing beeswax along seams if problem.
Don't fill too hard, if your a bag squeezer, and especially on front reat bag..this can cause accuracy problems.
Old September 24, 2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Ideal Tool,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I saw those folded tabs from the start but when I pulled them out and run my finger into the holes I find no opening for the sand to get into the ears or the large, lower portion. And, when I first seen the tabs I wondered how they could possibly seal well enough to keep sand from coming out.

JUST NOW FOUND THE ANSWER. Ran a pencil between the two pcs of leather making-up the tabs. That's it!

I guess I just couldn't imagine such a small opening for filling.

Feel kind of dumb. Oh well.

Now I'm wondering how you guys fill these things through those pencil sized holes? Appears it's gonna take awhile.

Old September 25, 2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Forster sells a long funnel for the job. It is a skinny funnel and filling will still be slow but not as frustrating as trying to improvise. Does cost $15, though.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...Filling_Funnel
Old September 25, 2011, 10:50 AM   #5

Thanks Jim for the funnel tip.

Old September 30, 2011, 08:43 PM   #6

I used a small funnel, ran a 6" piece of copper tubing (like used for plumbing) into the "mouth" of the funnel and taped them together with electrician's tape. Tight fit in the tabs but worked well. Even then it does take some time.