The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 6, 2002, 04:31 PM   #1
Joe Taylor

Miniguns in the Movie Black Hawk Down

Does anybody out there know what sort of guns that were used in the motion picture, "Black Hawk Down?" They are these really wicked, mulit-barreled machine guns that spit many-a-rounds. For what I have been able to gather, they were/are Miniguns. Is this coorect? What caliber are they? What are/were their mian uses?
Old August 6, 2002, 05:47 PM   #2
BigG

According to the director Ridley Scott, on the DVD making of featurette, the Black Hawks were actual Army helos and the miniguns were the real McCoy. 7.62mm Nato caliber, c. 6,000 rounds per minute.

The Apaches (Advanced Attack Helo) my brother had in his company were equipped with a chain gun, can't remember the caliber but it was 20 or 30mm. My guess is if the Rangers had had the AAH there would have been a large grease slick in Bokara Market, rather than the raging mob.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 6, 2002, 07:57 PM   #3
AZYoungGun

I think they are the M134, but I could be mistaken. Very effective, though.

I believe the AH-64 uses the 30mm. I have one ( a dud) upstairs in my room. You thought a .50 was big, wait till you wrap your hands around this! Take a direct hit, and I'm pretty certain the back half of you would be gone (due to the exit wound). Then again, they were made for taking out tanks, not as Anti-personnel.

Nick R.
Old August 6, 2002, 08:05 PM   #4
Jeff White

Yep, real GE Miniguns..very kewl

Apaches wouldn't have provided any better fire support for the troops on the ground then the AH-6 Little Birds did. The Apache was designed to pop up from behind cover and loose off a Hellfire at a T80 tank from about 8 klicks. Everything is set up to be employed from a hover, including the chain gun. This was a weakness we learned about the hard way in Afghanistan. The air was too thin at the altitudes we fought at wouldn't permit the Apaches to employ their weapons from a hover. They had to do some OJT to even get the Apache crews into strafing. The SuperCobras that the Marines had in the area were much more effective then the Apache.

Probably the best rotary wing support for TF Ranger would have been the AH1 Cobra, or even the older UH1M gunship. Ironically the 10th Mountain Division had Cobras in country at the time, but they were never used in the battle.

Jeff
Old August 7, 2002, 09:37 AM   #5
BigG

Ah yes the Cobra! Or they could have always brought back Puff, the Magic Dragon!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

Old August 7, 2002, 01:08 PM   #6
AZYoungGun

Ah, yes! Puff! I was thinking Spooky, but he's a bit outdated. Puff would have been very nice indeed.

Nick R.
Old August 7, 2002, 01:33 PM   #7
Jeff White

Actually TF Ranger wanted AC130 Spectre gunship support. Spectre is Puff and Spooky's direct descendent ....

Jeff
Old August 7, 2002, 03:12 PM   #8
BigG

Teeth, hair, and eyes all over Bokara Market!

Old August 7, 2002, 04:19 PM   #9
AZYoungGun

Jeff, thanks, I didn't know that! Learn something everyday!

Nick R.
Old August 7, 2002, 06:03 PM   #10
BigG

OK, I'll bite. What is the difference between Spooky, Puff, and Spectre?

Old August 7, 2002, 06:15 PM   #11
AZYoungGun

Spooky is a C-47, Puff is a C-130, and Spectre is an updated AC-130, but it's got a 105mm Howitzer, a 40mm cannon, and a 25mm mini(gatling?) gun (right? I just did a little research.) There may be a C-130 titled Spooky, but the one I remember is the C-47 version.

Nick R.
Old August 8, 2002, 11:51 PM   #12
tankertom

I think that Puff was the nickname that preceded the official call sign of Spooky for the AC-47. The AC-119 was Stinger and AC-130 is and was Spectre. Sensop can probably address that better.

Here is a link to the history of the gunship.

http://www.afa.org/magazine/April1999/0499gunships.html

I have seen a minigun firing at the Flagstaff MG shoot and it is an amazing sight and sound show.

TT