The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2015, 03:58 PM   #51
psalm7

Imported ammo seems to help the center fire supply like PPU , WOLFE , TULLA , S&B , ZQ and others . Maby this could help with Rimfire too . Im picky about reloading supplys so I only buy certain brands . I know very few that admit to having bought from ammo flippers , scalpers but someone must be because its a thriving business . Im glad I have been stockpiling for so long I have'nt needed to go out of my way for ammo to shoot but I still buy it when I find it so I dont get to far into my stash . Powder is becoming a problem but I intend on fixing that shortly .
Old March 5, 2015, 08:40 PM   #52
Colorado Redneck

Flippers or Scalpers

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=varget

Just an example. Varget is listed at most online vendors in 1 lb. jugs for around $24/@. These guys mark it up a lot. Evidently someone is buying from sellers like this. A cottage industry has sprung up!
Old March 5, 2015, 09:39 PM   #53
WVMountaineer

I started preparing for this 10 years ago on everything. I bought powder, bullets, primers, etc... I have plenty enough in everything but, I buy extra when it hits me to do so. You find times to shoot when you have got it to rol and shoot. I do watch what I shoot sometimes in the 22lr category. I have about 6,000 rounds of that and, I could easily shoot that up in one summer if I quit gardening and fishing.

The problem we have around here is no gun store or the big box stores are getting any 22lr ammo. NONE. Haven't for a long time, (5 years or so). I find that really odd and it gets irritating because that is the one thing you can't order either as no one has it. My brother in NC is rolling in it but, none here in Southern WV. If and when I do find it, I intend to buy as much as the supplier will allow. If that makes me a hoarder, than that is what I'll happily be. God Bless
Old March 5, 2015, 10:45 PM   #54
Machineguntony

McCarthy,

Technically, the line is spoken by Hans Gruber. McClain wrote it on Tonys' sweatshirt. I like attributing it to Hans because the way Alan Rickman says the line is just awesome.

On the subject of Die Hard, it is one my favorite movies. I bought a Steyr Aug because of Die Hard. The two stage auto trigger is a bit weird, though.

Behold, Karl's weapon of choice...

Last edited by Machineguntony; March 6, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old March 6, 2015, 08:32 AM   #55
JeepHammer

Exactly what did the teddy bear do to you?...
Old March 6, 2015, 09:41 AM   #56
McCarthy

Nice little parody. There was an underage teddy bear in Die Hard along for the ride. He almost got Wills a date but that was cut out.

Machineguntony, I can perfectly impersonate Gruber since I can also talk German, hence with an accent.
Old March 6, 2015, 11:09 AM   #57
trapper9260

There is one other thing that is going on is that there is more gun owners out there then before because of 2008 and the last one of what was talk about being done.Also talk about any kind of ban then that is just fuel for more to buy what ever there is out there and then you have more new reloaders and gun owner.This person in office in DC is the biggest sales man that this whole thing ever had.It looks like this is going to be the new way of getting what we want.Take it when you see it at the price that looks right.Or find some thing else to take its place.
Old March 6, 2015, 12:49 PM   #58
Machineguntony

With all due respect and cordiality, will you please stop turning every single discussion of guns into a political discussion? The right would like to co-opt the guns issue, but it doesn't belong to any political party, whether conservative or liberal.

And yes, that bear is very dangerous. Lol.

McCarthy, I can't believe you caught the bear reference!

Last edited by Machineguntony; March 7, 2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old March 6, 2015, 01:05 PM   #59
Machineguntony

On the subject of one of the coolest guy movies ever made (my apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread), in the movie, the film makers didn't finish finish out the MP5s, so they ended up using HK94s that were made to look like MP5s.

Small bit of irrelevant trivia, McCarthy, since I'm guessing that you're a Die Hard fan too.

Original HK 94 trigger pack and housing versus completed conversion in back, cuddled by Mr. Bear.

Old March 6, 2015, 01:40 PM   #60
McCarthy

Nice job on that HK 94. I'm pretty much stuck in the 80s, early 90s, love the movies, TV shows and music. Heck I even miss the cold war

Because of Miami Vice I'll find me a BrenTen and a Mac-10 this year. Movies don't get any better than the first 2 Die Hard parts.
Old March 6, 2015, 06:57 PM   #61
Machineguntony

One of my favorite TV shows in the 80s was the A Team. The actual Ruger Ac556 Auto Rifles they used were for sale not too long ago, but the word was that they had literally millions of rounds pumped through them.
Old March 7, 2015, 12:29 AM   #62
johnwilliamson062

I think Sandy Hook provided something of a Perfect storm politically for gun rights. It didn't go anywhere. I think most people have noticed that fact at this point. My hope is that future reactions to such crisis will be limited.

Not saying I haven't priced a pallet of Pmags to hold as an investment...
Old March 7, 2015, 04:33 AM   #63
salvadore

Conservative and liberal are political parties?
Old March 7, 2015, 06:07 AM   #64
Will-j

Hoarders

Jeep.......SNYPER is dead-on (no pun intended, SNYPER). Next time, get the product first, THEN get lunch. Or in the least... tell them you're on your way and to hold "X" number for you. Lesson learned?!
WILL
Old March 7, 2015, 11:55 AM   #65
Kframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineguntony
One of my favorite TV shows in the 80s was the A Team. The actual Ruger Ac556 Auto Rifles they used were for sale not too long ago, but the word was that they had literally millions of rounds pumped through them.
That show was awesome; "I just love it when a plan comes together!"

Those Rugers were soooo cool, even with shoot out barrels they'd be sweet to own, could even rebarrel if one wanted them to be shooters.

When I was a kid in the 80's we'd run around outside all summer with our GI Joes & cap guns going on "missions" around the neighborhood and arguing over who got to be Hannibal or Mr.T or Murdoch (none of us wanted to be Face, though).
Old March 8, 2015, 05:22 PM   #66
Marco Califo

Hoarder

Hoarder is the correct spelling.

Horders would be a family surnamed Horder. Maybe they live in Texas.
Old March 8, 2015, 07:41 PM   #67
wxl

How about the 5.56 ban? Bet many wish they bought some and more.

I keep 5k to 10k primers on hand and I am not a volume sahooter. Also have dozen+ of different powders because I can load for almost every handgun and rifle caliber I have from 22 Hornet to 416 Rigby and 380 to 454.
Old March 8, 2015, 10:16 PM   #68
psalm7

I did'nt know there was a 5.56 ban . I try to stay prepped for anything but I do my research on what Im prepping for .
Old March 8, 2015, 10:41 PM   #69
wxl

ATF has already changed their regulation that had exempted the common green tip 62 grain as armor piercing. It was previously exempt. They put out BS for a review period but had already changed their reg before review period was announced. Obama wanted this.
Old March 8, 2015, 10:56 PM   #70
reynolds357

I like hoarders. I have made a lot of money over the years timing the market. There are certain items you can stock up on dirt cheap after "the run" and then unload during the next "scare." It works like this.
1. Panic buying
2. Supplies disappear
3. Manufacturers gear up to meet panic demand
4. They glut the market
5. Prices fall lower than they were before the panic
6. At this point, the smart people stock up.
7. Next panic comes
8. Price surges through the ceiling
9. Smart people now unload.
It is a repeatable continuous cycle.
Old April 28, 2015, 08:02 AM   #71
ExPatYankee

I can only speak from my experience (s) in Sweden. The ammo shortage that started in the States has hit Europe also. Top Shot (CCI) is (was?) quite popular here. The reason for a drop in popularity is the scarcity and the price jumped 45%. XXL, a large sporting goods store chain here, used to sit on 5000 round cases. I have seen people leaving the store with those "pull along" shopping carts that had three cases (15000) rounds in them. They were shopping for clubs. No hoarding here. We do shoot what we get.

The follow-up problem we have in Europe is the demand from the States for ammunition products. Norma does keep on hold a sufficient amount of .22 for Scandinavian stores and clubs. But once that is gone we wait for another year. It has come to the point clubs send a "wish list" to their distributors who pass the numbers on to Norma who send just that amount to Scandinavia and then the rest goes out to Europe and elsewhere.

We had four new members this year, all four want to get in competition seriously and need .22. Those in the club who "bought out the order" now have to share as best they can.

As for the curiosity here in this part of the world, does anyone know if additional companies in the USA are coming on board and making ammunition? We heard when the military began to downsize, for example, some companies who lost business with them re-tooled to nothing but .22 and they cannot keep up with demand.

Any end in sight?
Old April 28, 2015, 11:04 AM   #72
Road_Clam

I finally had enough of being reliant on loaded ammo for my shooting hobby after Sandy Hook. I decided to go balls deep into handloading. And while I still purchase loaded ammo here and there if I see a decent deal, I am moving much more aggressively in the direction of stockpiling reloading components vs ammo. Your invested dollar goes much farther with components vs loaded ammo. I have enough components to load about 14K rounds between 8 different calibers. No matter what "panic" hits the gun world I have a solid backup.
Old April 28, 2015, 02:34 PM   #73
Clark

Quote:
ExPatYankee
I can only speak from my experience (s) in Sweden. The ammo shortage that started in the States has hit Europe also. Top Shot (CCI) is (was?) quite popular here.
From 2012 to 2014, I argued every day with an economics major about investing. He kept saying the USA is exporting inflation by printing too much money, all the while being the default currency of the world.

While I did not agree with him that the dollar is about to fail or that a failed dollar would affect me, I could predict the USA would export 22 ammo shortages with our hoarding.

He was buying Gold and farms in Uruguay, while I was buying AAPL.
I am up 100% and I don't have to fly to Uruguay to monitor harvest.
My relatives are STILL getting out of Sweden.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 28, 2015, 05:35 PM   #74
skizzums

Is there any way to keep political talk out of the shortage discussion...... It was politics that caused the "gun-run", which in turn became a shortage for everything firearms, which in turned got a lot of people needing ammo, which in turn made lots of people start reloading, which in turn caused our shortages. But the root of all the cause was political.

I read an interesting article in the Huffington about the increase in firearm sales. The old grumpy gun store owner they interviewed said "our business always does a lot better when democrats are in office, which is funny since all the gun store owners I know always vote republican.....". Thought that was cool, that they at least put some type of principles over profits unlike some businesses. He also said that if we put a republican back in office next year, he think gun sales will go stagnant for awhile, until the next political crisis. This is all truth, its not being hateful or bias to bring politics into the discussion, its just unavoidable
Old April 28, 2015, 06:54 PM   #75
Clark

And dentists are always wanting to prevent tooth decay, the source of their revenue.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?