The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 9, 2017, 03:03 PM   #26
RC20

Yep, my Savage build 30-06 weighs around 12 lbs with scope and no ammo

Neck and neck with the 308s for accuracy (from me)

Good pad is all that is needed for recoil with that kind of weight.
Old January 11, 2017, 06:37 PM   #27
std7mag

Watch putting on a muzzle brake..

Some classes don't allow them.

People beside you at the bench will throw stones at you.. lol
Old January 11, 2017, 07:00 PM   #28
MarkCO

To the OP, sorry I do not have the time to go through every posts and comment on them, but there is some good and some bad in every thread.

I own a 6.5CM, a .260, sold the 7mms and rarely shoot the .30s. I own 5 .243Wins and for purely target shooting, will take those every day over the 6.5s. The 6.5s get grabbed when I need a little more energy on target.

At the American Marksman finals, I gave the three finalists RPRs in .243Win with Burris XTRII 3-15s on top. They were 3 to 4 inches off bullseye at 200 yards and I gave them 30 minutes to set up and shoot 10 rounds to get their dope before they started competing. None of them had shot precision nor mil optics. Armed with a dope chart and a little help from a coach, these three shoot all 10s and Xs at 200, 300 and 600 yards until we had a winner. The ammo was Hornady 87 SSTs at 2710 fps (about 500 fps below normal speed). Wind was variable from 3-9 mph. Those three rifles chrono'd within 5 fps of each other and my personal RPR in .243Win. They all shot the same groups too. Low recoil is a benefit to shooting targets!

.243Win is soft shooting, widely available, cheaper than the "sexy 6.5CM or 6CM" and every bit as accurate, if not more so. Twist rate to bullet weight is a key element in precision shooting. Anyone who says a .260Rem is purely a hunting cartridge does not understand what they are talking about. Those 6.5mm bullets care about twist rate more than a few degrees different shoulder angle. I prefer the .260 over the 6.5CM in bolt guns and the 6.5CM over the .260 Rem in gas guns. There are reasons, but irrelevant to your question.

I would certainly suggest a good .22 trainer if that is possible. But for a centerfire to shoot targets from 100 to 1200, the .243Win has some great appeal and several decent rifles in that chambering. When you go to 6.5, you have a little more cost, a little more recoil and, depending on load, have to be a little more precise on the wind calls.
Old January 14, 2017, 11:02 AM   #29
RC20

MarkCO: Very Good post overall but I do think you owe it to the community to read the previous posts before responding. If you don't have time limit yourself to fewer posts to respond to.
I don't know about any one else but I find that comment I don't have time most annoying.

That said: The 260 was designed as a hunting cartridge. I am not saying its not a highly capable target cartridge (308 is as is 30-06). It is one I am interested in (I have about 5 of those lined up!)
The 6 and 6.5 were designed as target cartridges with the maximum accuracy and low barrel impact of modern design.
How much that gets you is maybe debatable, certainly nothing for someone starting out. But you also have to consider where it ends up.
I do have a report on how easy the 6.5 shoots so that is a plus and we are dealing with an individual l who is very recoil sensitive .

243: Another one I am interesting in and may try some day. On the fence as a 6.5 CM or Lapua has a lot of appeal. 243 does use up barrels faster than the others.

The issue is as you get into this is how much can you afford?

That's one reason a Savage is such a great setup for anyone up through medium advanced. Its got it all to get you to a pretty high level and that allows you to figure out if you are the next German Salazar or one of the rest of us.

Inside of two years shooting a lot you are gong to use up a barrel. Either you can change your barrels or a gun smith can do it for very low cost (you have to invest about $150 in tools if you do it, but if you do 2 or 3 that's under gun smith cost for one) Savage allows that.

6.5 is going to last longer than the 243.

Could the OP see that? Probably not for some years. Maybe sooner if he goes into it heavy.

At best a 308 is going to last 8000 rounds. Probably less for tack driver bench rest accuracy. Call it 5.

Shoot the same gun 100 rounds a week (which I think is minimum to get good) and in 52 weeks? That puts it in perspective.

In looking this over my best bet would have been to get a Savage Target in 308 or 6.5. On the other hand I have had a lot of fun putting my own together and I have the stock type I prefer in them.

Cost me about half of the target types.

So there is a balance. I have 3 of them so I am not replacing a barrel each year and one is a switch barrel test gun (thats the one that will get the fun barrels when I get them)

Off the shelf you can get 6 or 6.5 targets, no one makes a 243 targets.

My personal view is you start with equipment you KNOW is far better than you are so you have a way to gauges how well you are doing.

Once you hit 3s consistently you may want to switch gears but not a lot can do that. Savage in the 6.5 is going to take you down that road for a good 5 years and maytbe forever.
Old January 15, 2017, 07:45 PM   #30
Geo_Erudite

They will be offering the Ruger Precision (as well as the American Predator) in 6 mm Creedmoor for 2017. The barrel has a 1:7.7 twist rate.
Old January 16, 2017, 09:57 AM   #31
the jigger

Longrange??

Before you make your final decision take a look at the Savage 10 FCP-SR. Currently it only comes in 308. I traded for one a month ago. I haven't shot it past 400yds but it shows some real potential for more. I know, the 308 has fallen in favor of the 6.5's but the 308 still has potential. Just see if you can find one to fondle before you make your final decision. By the way, I have a dedicated longrange rifle so I probably won't use the 308 past 600yds.
Old January 17, 2017, 06:46 PM   #32
RC20

308 will easily go to 600, even 1000 with the right loads.

6.5 is more popular, some help with less recoil as well as the bullet offerings.

I don't thin a 6.5 will help me much........