The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 21, 2014, 02:59 PM   #1
mxsailor803

KSA Chipmunk

Does any one have any experience one of these?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...2LR+BL+WLT+HLO

Only thing I could find about them was a post last year. Just kinda curious about it.
Old April 21, 2014, 05:27 PM   #2
DaleA

Could be fun.

I'm right handed but I like the left handed bolt action on the pistol.

Under $170 seems like a deal too.

It looks like it should be VERY accurate. (But of course looks can be deceiving.) I think I'd like to put a low mount red dot sight on it but maybe a scope would be more appropriate for how accurate the thing probably is.
Old April 21, 2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Pahoo

Looks interesting !!

Not this one per say but the Anschutz Exemplar. I suspect that this is where it was copied from. By any chance, is this one made in China. I ask because I have seen a Chinese copy but forgot what it was called. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 21, 2014, 06:49 PM   #4
mxsailor803

I was kinda thinking it could be a budget Savage Striker since those things are out of this world price wise. Throw a x2 power Weaver and bed the action and see how it goes maybe?
Old April 22, 2014, 11:43 PM   #5
Sabrewolfe

No, these are American made weapons. KSA (Keystone Arms) is based in Pennsylvania. It actually uses the same manual cocked action as the little Cricket .22 rifles they make for kids, it's just made with a 10.5" barrel and a pistol grip instead of the miniaturized rifle stock.
Old April 23, 2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Pahoo

Good to know and I thank you !!!

Quote:
No, these are American made weapons. KSA (Keystone Arms) is based in Pennsylvania.
Good to know and if they are current, I'll keep an eye out for one. ....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 24, 2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Prof Young

They look good but . . .

I have had one for about a year now and have put a about a 100 shots through it. I mounted a scope too. It is fun to shoot, and looks great, but so far the groups are not worth writing home about. Maybe a bit more break in will help. I'm glad I bought it, but it's not a gun I'd use to squirrel hunt with, at least not yet.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old April 27, 2014, 12:59 PM   #8
mxsailor803

Prof - Have you done any work to it? Bedding, trigger, etc.? I don't know why but this little thing has my interest and just want to hear from someone that has one.
Old April 29, 2014, 07:37 PM   #9
softmentor

I have had one for about a year, I got the walnut model. I love the little thing. I don't seem to have a problem with getting tight groups at 50 feet, even with iron sites.
When I first started shooting it, right away I was surprised at how much rise I would get, even with a standard 22 round. Enough that it was throwing my shots high and making the groups spread. I started using a support hand forward grip, sort of a modified riffle style grip, and it settled down nicely. Because it has a lot or weight forward of the grip, I though it would run well as a single hand shooter, but, as I said it didn't work out that way, too much rise. needed to have left hand on for-stock and a little forward - back grip pressure to settle it down. All this may be different with the polymer stock.
As to high end target shooting modifications, like bedding and such, I don't think this barrel is really match grade, at least not enough to start that level of work on it. Don't get me wrong, it is accurate, but its value is as a low cost fun gun plinker, not ultra match.
It shoots a Calibri round very nicely, the barrel length getting just about the most you can get from this round without any risk of the bullet not clearing the end of the barrel. (can't really trust a Calibri in riffle length barrels because the bullet may not travel the full length of the barrel.
Note: because it has target pistol grips, it is NOT ambidextrous.
Also, nice to note, that even though it is not on the CA DOJ approved list, it is a true single shot so it is single shot exempt so you can buy them through any dealer in CA.
final note, look at both the Crickett and the Chipmunk web sites, they are the same company but have a little different line up of the same gun.
http://www.crickett.com/crickett_hunterpistol.php
http://www.chipmunkrifles.com/chipmunk_22_pistol.php
Old April 29, 2014, 07:59 PM   #10
Prof Young

Nope, haven't worked on it.

Sailor:
No, I haven't done any work on it and am sure I won't. If the groups don't tighten up in the next couple hundred rounds I'll guess I have a lemon.
Live well, be safe.
Prof Young