The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
anothernewb

most accurate 9mm bullet profile?

Getting into reloading 9mm since I couldn't pass up a deal on a BHP.

I'm familiar with 45 reloading, and there seems to be a consensus that the SWC is one of the most accurate bullet profiles/weights for that, and I was wondering if there is a corresponding 9mm profile/weight as well?

I was wondering if anyone cared to share their thoughts/ experiences on 115 vs 124 grain hp/RN profiles.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
BoogieMan

IMO the most accurate ammo will have the longest straight profile to maximize contact with the barrel and rifling. 147gr ball would probably fit that description. I am not sure if JHP would have a longer straight wall. My 1911 (9mm) seams to like 125-147 with little diference in factory ammo. 115gr has bigger groups (subtle) and tends to have an issue pushing the slide back far enough to lock open last round.
I am starting out on reloading also and went with 125gr lead RN. Ill let you know how that works out.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 23, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Sevens

It's been my findings that a 125gr cast LRN is nicely accurate for me and I haven't bothered to try a heavier 147 grain bullet. In theory, BoogieMan is correct in that a bullet with a longer bearing surface has the potential for better accuracy.

What I found was that the 125 grain LRN ran so well that it made sense to stick with it...which gives me a bit lighter bullet (than 147's) and that should (in theory also! ) save me a little dough when it comes to buying my slugs...since there's less lead there.

I know that MANY folks love the accuracy and less shock/blast/flip when using a subsonic 147 grain bullet load in 9mm...my friend loves the 147 grain Montana Gold bullet and a small charge of Titegroup, but I get along really well with my 125's and push them with Universal.

I'm using the Dardas bullet:
http://dardascastbullets.com/
Great bullets, great service, great people.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
BoogieMan

@sevens- Do you shoot a 1911? I havent loaded up the midatlantic bullets LRN, because I havent got a press yet. After I ordered I thought about feeding issues with lead vs jacketed. If they dont feed i guess the 92fs will eat them up.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 23, 2013, 05:34 PM   #5
g.willikers

For the 9mm that I used to have, the most accurate bullet was the 147 grain truncated cone (flat nose) lead bullet in size .357.
A friend who tried my reloads in his High Power said the same thing.
But every gun and barrel is different.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
ZOOM2X

Berry's HB

I have ordered Berry's HBRN bullets. the Hollow Base makes them longer to have more bullet touching the barrel. Haven't shot one yet. Theory sounds good.

NRA Benefactor
Old January 23, 2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Charley345

My walther ppq likes Berrys' 124gr hollow point plated bullets with 3.6gr of 700-x.
Not near as tight of groups from 147gr round nose FMJ bullets loaded with W231.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:02 AM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
@sevens- Do you shoot a 1911?
I shoot a few of them actually...but not in 9mm.
My most accurate 9mm pistol is my Tanfoglio Elite Match, and it loves my 125gr Dardas LRN load and eats them like candy. Together, we mow down steel plates.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Bart B.

Note that in the heyday of .45 ACP ammo in match conditioned M1911's, the wadcutter versions shooting commercial 185-gr. wadcutters were near twice as accurate as hardball pistols shooting the best arsenal or commercial 230-gr. round nose bullets. Many tests confirmed this with both versions tested in Broadway machine rests at 50 yards.

In talking with armourers in military shops building such arms, their opinions were that the commercial wadcutter ammo was loaded to tighter specs than any maker of hardball ammo. A popular opinion was that wadcutter bullets were seated straighter in the cases than round nose ones; they had less runout to the case long axis. Also, the pistol's movement during barrel time was less and more repeatable with wadcutter ammo compared to hardball stuff.

I doubt any bullet profile or weight and dimensional differences were enough to matter for the velocity range and distances they were used at.