The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 14, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
iMagUdspEllr

Accuracy Training?

I am trying to diagnose why I'm shooting high at about 15 yards. I have been using targets that diagnose what you are doing when you shoot in a certain spot on the target. However I can't find a site that does a good job of explaining what the target means.

Could someone show me a site that explains each area of the target so I don't have to ask a forum every time I start hitting a different part of the target?

Currently my shots are in the "breaking wrist up" area. Thank you for your responses in advance.
Old August 14, 2010, 11:34 PM   #2
LaserSpot

How's your group size? What model gun is it?

Try pulling the trigger very slowly so that it surprises you each time it goes off. There may be a grain of truth in the diag target, but it's a gimick. Your sights could just off for the ammo you're using. Here's a few sites:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter3.htm
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/pistoltrainingtg.htm
Old August 15, 2010, 12:12 AM   #3
iMagUdspEllr

The group size is about 4" in diameter its a fairly vertical line at 1 o'clock. Its a Glock 22.

Those links are excellent. Thank you.

Last edited by iMagUdspEllr; August 15, 2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old August 15, 2010, 02:35 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

Hi. 'Breaking the wrist' means you're relaxing your hand too soon. Vertical at 1 o'clock is about anticipating the recoil. What ammo? About 15 yards or at 15? Where are you aiming? Consistency, in everything shooting related, matters.
Mind you, a consistent 4" group isn't ugly. Isn't a bullseye target group, but neither is Glock 22 isn't a target pistol either and you're good enough to defend yourself. The grips may be a bit to big or too small as well. Not likely though. Groups are too consistent.
You think too. That's more important than anthing else. Try some lighter recoiling ammo.
Go here and download the free Lee 'Target Left or Right handed, .pdf. Sounds like you have it already though.
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html
Old August 15, 2010, 09:53 AM   #5
LaserSpot

Quote:
The group size is about 4" in diameter its a fairly vertical line at 1 o'clock. Its a Glock 22.
The Glock has a very light frame; much of the mass is in the ammo. If you don't have a very firm grip, the changing mass of the frame may cause some vertical stringing as the guns becomes lighter.

You're doing ok, but the .40 S&W probably isn't the best choice for accuracy training. It has a lot of bark and it's not cheap to shoot. How do you shoot with other pistols? If you really want to put in some range time and work on your technique, a .22 target pistol would be useful.
Old August 15, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
iMagUdspEllr

Awesome responses guys thank you.

@T. O'Heir: Federal 180 grain FMJ FN. I bought this ammo because it was $14 a box (the cheapest I could find). I'm aiming at the center of the black (focusing on the front sight). No its 15 yards. The range I go to has 7, 15, and 25 yards for pistol.

@LaserSpot: I shoot my FNP-45 Tactical about the same. It is easier with that one because it is heavier and it has a longer barrel. I can't hit crap with my Colt Python .357 Magnum even with the hammer cocked back. Then I shot my buddie's Walther P22 and I was so used to the Glock trigger that I threw the first three shots right (I'm a lefty). But, then I straightened up and blew one hole with his P22... still with a 1 o'clock bias though.