The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 13, 2010, 08:55 PM   #1
drewsdiablo

First Handgun

I now feel i am prepared for the responsibity to carry a handgun and i would like to know what is the best one for someone that is new to the game.
Old July 13, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
CzCasull

The one that you pick up and feel right with. Just go to a gun shop or a Sporting goods store that carries handguns and ask to handle one that catches your eye. Wouldn't hurt to try a few at a local range so see what caliber feels right to you ether, in fact I would strongly recommend taking a handgun safety and operation class!

If you really just don't care then go for a XD or XD(m) in ether 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, or .45 ACP. These three calibers are the most commonly utilized in semi-automatic handguns today.

Simple enough?

If you'd like more detail, name your price range and we'll get started! Good handguns cost from about $450 to $1,000 to $3,000.
Old July 13, 2010, 10:17 PM   #3
AustinTX

Quote:
If you'd like more detail, name your price range and we'll get started! Good handguns cost from about $450 to $1,000 to $3,000.
I've never owned one, but everything I've read and heard leads be to believe that a Ruger P95 is a very durable and reliable gun. Bud's has them for $302.
Old July 13, 2010, 10:27 PM   #4
CzCasull

P95 isn't a bad option, I have seen it run very well, but it doesn't have the best features for every-day carry. Still, not a bad gun none-the-less. I would still say that $450 is where you run into the more suitable tools.
Old July 14, 2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Rmac58

I'll agree with CZCasull, handle as many as you can to get a feel for what seems most natural for you. Some handguns may almost aim themselves, others, may not.
Old July 14, 2010, 08:17 AM   #6
misnomerga

There is so much truth to what the folks are saying. It will be as if a light bulb went off when you wrap your hands around the "right" gun. The only caveats will be will it be suited for your circumstance. My Sig 226 fits me like it is part of my hand, the balance and the feel are perfect. At the range it makes mince meat out of the targets. Alas it is too big for me to use as my everyday CCW. Here is the silver lining in the cloud, that gave me reason to support getting additional pieces. So start the mantra early, "I need a gun suitable for each occasion honey."
Old July 14, 2010, 08:35 AM   #7
FreakGasolineFight

Try to check out a lot of different guns and see when that light bulb misnomerga talked about goes off. For me, it was my CZ P-01. I picked it up in the gun shop and it felt like it had already melted into my hand. I didn't have the money at the time, so I didn't end up buying it. Being an idiot, I didn't think to check the manufacturer, model, or anything like that. I didn't even know what CZ was.

Later, having saved the money, I started doing research on the internet, looking for a compact 9mm, and the one that always seemed to come out on top was the CZ P-01. So, I call around to the local shops, and, lo and behold, the same shop still had the same P-01 I had handled almost four months earlier. I, of course, had no idea that the very same pistol that had felt so good in my hand four months ago was the one I'd been drooling over on the 'net all this time. You couldn't believe how happy I was when I picked that gun up again.

Needless to say, I bought it, and I couldn't be happier. That was a long and sentimental story, I know, but the point is that there's a gun out there that'll feel 'just right', and you'll find it if you look long enough.
Old July 14, 2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Jeepin_Lawyer

Our local range rents a ton of different pistols. Maybe you can find someplace similar and shoot a bunch of different pistols. Hopefully you will find something you really like.
Old July 14, 2010, 09:32 PM   #9
cguedr

Do you want to have to be mindful of the way you dress?
If not, you may want to go with something smaller. I was going to try to carry a Glock 19 at one point, but have since realized that I didn't want that in between my pants and my body, just felt uncomfortable. I'm now going with an LCR. I'd recommend that you get a lightweight snubbie, but it's up to you.
Old July 14, 2010, 10:03 PM   #10
jfrey

First pistol

Although I own several pistols, there have been 3 times that I picked up a certain pistol in a store and it felt so natural, I had to have it. It happened twice with two different 1911's and the last time with a kahr CW9. You'll know it when it happens. The weight, finish, sights, and caliber will be right and you will know it instantly. Don't get in a hurry just to get something to shoot, take your time and try a bunch and see what works best for you.
Old July 15, 2010, 12:42 AM   #11
Mosin44az

Not enough detail for you to get really useful answers.

You don't say if you are interested in a pistol or in a revolver.

I assume by carry you mean carry concealed, but you didn't say. Concealed carry usually means something smaller. You have to figure out HOW you want to carry, that makes a big difference. "Pocket" guns are much smaller than those carried on a belt, for instance.

You don't mention how much you want to spend, which is a big issue.

9mm is a good starting caliber for a pistol. .38 Special for a revolver. I would not start with a "pocket" gun, the recoil will likely be tough for you to handle in a decent caliber like these.

Some good brands for pistols, all of which offer smaller ones if that's what you want: Glock, SIG-Sauer, Beretta, HK, CZ, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield. Go to Shooter's World or the Scottsdale Gun Club and rent a few that look good to you, if in the Phoenix area.

Good revolver brands: Ruger and Smith & Wesson. I would not own a Taurus as my only gun, too likely to have to be sent back for service.
Old July 15, 2010, 03:23 AM   #12
BillCA

Congratulations on getting to this point. You believe you can responsibly carry a firearm, that's good.

What we don't know is... whether you have extensive shooting experience with handguns or on what types (revolver, SA "cowboy" revolvers, the 1911, Glocks, Walthers, etc.). Nor do we know what caliber(s) you seem to shoot most accurately.

All of those are factors.

You are in Arizona, so both CCW and O/C are permitted. Do you have a preference? That may dictate some of your selection criteria. Arizona is also HOT in the summer, which means it's unlikely you'll want to carry something inside the waistband unless it's stainless steel or some other very durable finish (and even then, maybe not).

Determine your needs. If you've lived a moderately peaceful life in your community, don't plan on making serious changes (relocating, new job) with no immediate threats, then you probably don't need an über-shützen gun with 18 round magazines. A single-stack magazine will likely be all you need. It's also thinner, lighter and easier to conceal.

But if you have had "incidents" in the last few years, like to spend time alone or semi-alone in the desert, drive between towns frequently, have to enter or go to places on the fringes of "gang territory", then something with more firepower might be suitable.

There's a lot to be said for a 3-inch barreled 5-shot J-Frame .357 like the Chiefs Special. The slightly longer barrel aids in aiming, helps reduce muzzle flip and the .357 Magnum hits really hard. Plus they're not hard to conceal.

My Kahr K-9 is a nice, small, steel 9mm, but it's shortcoming is weight. While that means lower recoil, it can get tiring. The lighter polymer guns are easier to carry all day and don't recoil that harshly, making follow-up shots simple.

No surprise, but the 1911 works for me. It's flat, it shoots a BIG bullet, it's accurate, not too heavy and very accurate. I can easily carry two spare mags (16 rds) just in case. Either my Officer's-Model sized Kimber or my S&W lightwight 1911 can be carried all day without discomfort.

Difference between .45 ACP and 9mm (right) in a 1911.

If you want to go double-stack, the Ruger SR9/SR9C has a slimmer grip than most. The CZ-P01 is a very nice pistol though it borders on the verge of too big. Some of S&W's older alloy-framed 9mm's are double stacks that are thin enough to hide.

Just remember that you have to live with your choice. You can buy the latest wonder-nine and find that it's too hard to conceal or that you must wear an additional covering garment even in 103F weather. Or you could buy a featherweight .357 and find out you can't shoot it well. Think about those tradeoffs.

As others have said, finding a gun that fits your hand properly is but one step in the process. If that "perfect fit" is a Beretta 92FS, it may be far too big to be a comfortable carry gun. As much as others praise the SIG-Sauer pistols, none of them fit my hand well. Nor do the CZ-75's - the trigger reach is about 1.8mm too long and I hate their bass-ackwards safety. But these may be perfect for you.

For me, that "glove like fit" comes about when I pick up Colt's Defender Model. When raising the gun, the sights seem to align themselves and I don't have to wiggle my fingers to get "the right grip". Others tell me I'm crazy because it doesn't fit their hand.

Colt Defender .45 (Now available in 9mm)

So, what do I do when it's over 88 degrees out and anything but jeans and a t-shirt looks over dressed? I put on a loose shirt or thunderwear and take this little gem along for a ride.

S&W 432PD - 6-rounds of .32 H&R Magnum
Old July 15, 2010, 06:01 AM   #13
pilpens

If first handgun - Maybe a .22 Ruger MK or Browning buckmark.
If first carry handgun - many choices -- maybe narrow down question - features you like, etc. I like the DA/SA for carry. Walther P99, HK USPc, HK P2000, etc.
Make sure the pistol fits your hand. Otherwise, you will always want something else.

I used to carry a Sig P6 because it is the smallest pistol I have. Now, I carry a Walther P99 DA/SA. It is a tad bigger than the P6 but has twice the capacity and I do not have the slide lock back problem I have with Sigs (nothing wrong with the pistol. Problem is my thumb resting/touching the slide release on the last shot causing the failure).
Old July 15, 2010, 06:07 AM   #14
blume357

above post is right on the mark...

for 'home' defense you need 9mm or above... for concealed carry you need .380 or above...

but for practice, learning to shoot well and just plane all out fun you can't beat a 22lr semi-auto....

I think I'd get a Ruger MKIII with a 5" or less barrel or something close first and shoot the heck out of it.... you will for sure be hooked and a more appropriate defensive weapon will follow.
Old July 15, 2010, 07:01 AM   #15
sonnycrockett

first hand gun,I always say Ruger,
great value,stellar quality and made in the USA.........
Just pick weather you want a .380,9,40 or 45
Metal or Poly.......Semi or Revolver
Old July 16, 2010, 11:25 AM   #16
TylerD45ACP

A Handgun

If your new to them and want a starting pistol I would have to recommend a 9mm (Even though Im die hard .45ACP fan). It's the smallest of what I consider "defense practical" and would make a great starter handgun. As for the gun itself, find the one that fits the best in your hand and doesn't feel like a gun but an extention of the arm. CZ75B and the Browning High Power are some you could to look into. I prefer the 1911A1 nothing feels more natural in my hand. I choose the firearm before the caliber, just something to think about. Remember its all about what YOU prefer.