The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 18, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
AngloSaxon

Bull barrel for K98?

I have recently got a new project, a ww2 mauser k98 8mm. I am kind of new to the ww2 rifles, but so far my plans were to replace the stock with a new polymer stock, and change the stock barrel to a heavy barrel. My question is do they make one for 8mm mauser?

I plan to keep it 8mm since I got a great deal on 1K of 8mm ammo.

Thanks
Old June 18, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Since WWII K.98k's are now bringing fabulous amounts, best make sure that the gun's value will not be reduced by the work you propose. All too often folks convert a $1500 gun to a $200 gun and pay for the work.

There is no reason you can't do just as you propose, except that 8mm barrels are hard to get and most are in sporter contour, so an 8mm bull barrel would likely be a special order.

If the current barrel is any good at all, you might consider just shooting the 8mm ammo (be sure to clean well, as it may be corrosive primed) until it is gone, then rebarrel to .30 or some other more readily available caliber.

Jim
Old June 18, 2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

mauser bbl.

Sir;
I'd call Douglas barrels at Charleston W. Va. They will turn you just any contour you want and short chamber it at a very good price.
There are no flies on the 8 X 57 JS cartridge loaded as Germany loaded it. They loaded it at about 50,000 cup and it's a great cartridge, often refered to as "the 30-06 of Germany!"
They will also test your action (rockwell) and barrel it up for you.
Jim is always right - be sure it has no Nazi markings on it or is special in any way; and check the action for "set-back."
Harry B.
Old June 18, 2008, 08:46 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Harry and AngloSaxon,

Douglas will make about anything for enough money, but 8mm heavy barrels are not standard AFAIK. IMHO, the military 8mm is actually superior to the .30-'06, but for American sportsmen, the .30 has a lot wider range of bullets and many more barrel types.

As to 8mm power, I have said that I know/knew WWII vets who were shot in the body with 9mm or other pistol rounds, but I never knew any who were shot in the body with an 8mm.

Jim
Old June 19, 2008, 12:56 PM   #5
firewrench044

Lothar Walther makes all types of barrels for the 98 Mauser
short chambered, long chambered and many others. I have instaled several
and they are very hi quality

check their web site
Old June 20, 2008, 05:18 AM   #6
dutchy

Hmmmm, I'll give it a try, but I am afraid it will be futile.
A military rifle of your description is a piece of history, and I would shoot it, unaltered, or buy a cheap .308 or 30.06 sporter at a gunshow or dealer.
Was in Houston in the gunshow recently and there's plenty of non historical very reasonably priced sporters around. Buy one and bubbarize it, but leave your mauser as is.

But, as I stated, I do not think I'll make a difference.
Old June 20, 2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

Sir:
If you decide to do it Douglas number is 1-304-776- 1341.
Fred Depoy has recently retired but the man taking his job is a "gun man" and he'll take good care of you.
You can buy a "basic" barrel from them if you have a lathe and proper tools.
As has been stated, be sure it doesn't have historical value. I just barreled a Chinese mauser for myself in 243 Win.
Have fun.
Harry B.
Old July 4, 2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Clark

I have put bull barrels on some of my 98 Mausers.
It makes them so heavy, that carrying the 11 - 17 pounds from the car to the shooting bench at the range is a pain.

It really cuts down on the recoil, though.

Old July 4, 2008, 07:20 AM   #9
Hawg

I assume since you want a heavy barrel you intend to scope it. If so you might want to rethink that. You'll have to have it drilled and tapped and have the bolt handle replaced(I haven't seen a rebent one yet that looked worth a crap). Also you'll have to replace the wing safety and once you do all that you prolly won't be happy with the two stage military trigger. I've sporterized a couple of Mausers and a 1903A3 and it is expensive to do right.
Old July 4, 2008, 08:39 AM   #10
Jim Watson

As said, if you have an unaltered military Mauser, it is worth more than most new sporting rifles.

But if it is already been modified, go ahead. The '98 Mauser is a great money sink, kind of like a boat - defined as a hole in the water to throw money into. Unless you can do the work yourself.

Pac-Nor makes 8mm barrels and has a wide range of contours that you might call "heavy" from a common varmint weight clear up to an unturned blank like Clark's.
http://www.pac-nor.com/

Then what will you do when your cheap ammo runs out?
Old July 4, 2008, 07:34 PM   #11
Atla

If it's unaltered with matching numbers - I wouldn't touch it.

I'm a fan of customizing old mil-surp guns. And I highly recommend picking up a mis-matched number one for your build. You'll get it for cheaper anyways.

Save your good ones.