The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 29, 2008, 01:48 AM   #26
cyprian

Anything could be a diversion or a trap. If you're convinced it has two feet, do the bunker down thing and watch all the exits. Why would you go outside? Leave the inside vulnerable while you go on a fly hunt?
Old June 29, 2008, 12:21 PM   #27
armedandsafe

Whenever I set up a house for a client, I installed motion sensor lights in every room, hallway, stairwell except the master bedroom. That works quite well and makes intruders very nervous. I put led's on each one, so I could tell if one had been turned off/unplugged. Occassionaly, I would bridge a ding-dong on certain ones.

The hallway one worked fine until the cat learned to turn it on when he came in at night.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old June 29, 2008, 03:35 PM   #28
Keltyke

Quote:
Anyway, I think I've got enough to work with here. I particularly like the mirror advice and have a spare I could hang down there. Thanks, all.
That McGiver-ish trick will get you killed. Don't try to clear a house unless you've been trained in it. Bunker down. If the noise is repeated or you feel confident there is an intruder, call the cops and wait.
Old July 14, 2008, 01:06 AM   #29
DeathRodent

I just finished reading a Dean Koontz book "The Good Guy" and here is what the 2 good guys do - they throw decorative pillows up the stairway! It should work in reverse just as well.

Now before you say anything these 2 guys are ex Marines and one is a PO so that MUST be the correct action.

I won't tell you what happened so as not to spoil the book for you.

BTW, they stocked up with three pillows because a smart bad guy might not fall for the pillow toss on the first try but by the third one he just can't resist - Dean must get this theory from the Roger Rabbit movie where the old shave and a haircut bit always draws the rabbit out!

Dean is getting better tho - his last couple novels featured Kahr pistols no more Korths.
Old July 14, 2008, 11:18 AM   #30
Desslock

Next time go downstairs wearing only your underwear and carrying a laundry basket with your gun hidden in it. If the skivvies don't scare them off, surprise them with your gun.