The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1
jaughtman

Blue Sky imports?

I have seen several M1 Carbines and Garands at gun shows in Blue Sky Productions boxes. Were they an importer of surplus guns? If so, where did they get their guns from?

J
Old January 11, 2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Billy Shears

Pretty sure they came from South Korea.
Old January 11, 2014, 02:27 PM   #3
TomADC

South Korea as noted above, I have a M1 carbine from Blue Sky it is lightly stamped on the barrel with the Blue Sky info I say lightly because I understand the AFT got on their case because they weren't stamping deep enough there are stories of later Blue Sky imports being stamped so hard you could read it in the inside of the barrel or the barrels were actually bent.
BTW mines a Winchester.
Old January 11, 2014, 02:37 PM   #4
jaughtman

Correct.....

I started googling and got all the information I could use. Aparently they are extremely hit or miss as to the barrels....some people say they got a great one, some say the barrel was totally shot out, or that stamp was too deep.

J
Old January 12, 2014, 03:36 AM   #5
10-96

+1 on Blue Sky imports being hit or miss. I have a Carbine that has attrocious grouping ability- the bore looks awful and shoots worse. One of these days it will get a trip to either DGR or Fulton Armory for a new Criterion bbl.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Ibmikey

Blue sky, whether Carbine or M1 rifle seem to be the worst of the Korean imports. Bad bores and their destructive barrel stamping is prevelent in most, back in the Eighties I bought a case of M 1 Carbines (12) through the PD for individual officers. There was no mention of Blue Sky but that is what arrived....and sent back as only two would pass my inspection. The carbines were replaced with some import marked from South Carolina (I believe) and all twelve were of exceptional used quality. The order originally was from Century Arms. Look for a non import marked rifle from CMP, pay a little more and have a servicable piece of history.