The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 28, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
gr8gun

Red dot with backup cross hairs... ?

I'm wondering is if anyone makes a standard red dot optic -- no magnification, unlimited eye relief -- that has some sort of secondary sighting (like conventional cross hairs) so that it does not become useless if the battery dies in the field?

The closest thing I've found so far are Trijicon's "dual illuminated" red dots... but I was hoping there might be something simpler and under $500. Anyone know of any other options?
Old September 28, 2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Te Anau

I was thinking about this several days ago.They all should have at least a cross-hair reticle or something
Old September 28, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
comn-cents

Leupold! Only one I know of.
Old September 28, 2012, 06:52 PM   #4
gr8gun

I'm old enough (47) that my eyes don't do well with irons, its not so much that I can't see at distances, with glasses I do fine, but looking at my target and trying to work with the front sight at 50-100 yards is just not working for me. I've also come to a point where I avoid things with batteries.

I have played around with some of Bushnell's less expensive ($70+/-) 1x-4x scopes, because at "1x" you basically have a non-illuminated (battery-less) "red dot" -- in that your eye is focused on one thing only - the target - and your sighting optic is perfectly clear at all times.

In my current quest, I'm looking for something to go in a more forward (scout-like) mounting location, so I need something with flexible if not unlimited eye relief. I have one of Leupold's scout scopes on a Marlin 44 Lever, and I love it, but I'd like to get a larger diameter tube and no magnification... if such a thing exists.

Comn-cents -- can you let me know which of their red dots you are referring to, or do they all have cross hairs?
Old September 28, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
comn-cents

Here is the Leupold I am talking about. I have looked through them and really liked it, It's on my short list.

"An excellent 1x scope with a wide field of view, Leupold's Prismatic Hunting Rifle Scope offers an illuminated reticle for low-light hunting that is also etched into the glass, making the sight useful when batteries have died or an illuminated sight picture is not desired."

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/219...cm_vc=wishList
Old September 28, 2012, 07:04 PM   #6
comn-cents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrsBUDgtbc4
Old September 28, 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
gr8gun

Very nice. The only issue for me is that it says the eye relief is 3" -- so it mounts in a "normal" scope position, and will be sensitive to cheek weld position.

The beauty of red dots is that they are so flexible and forgiving. Very useful for fast target acquisition.

But the Leupold's are great glass, no doubt about it.

I'm also playing around with low or no magnification handgun scopes, sometimes they have very open eye relief capacity (like 9"-20"), allowing the shooter to keep both eyes open and quickly get on target.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:00 AM   #8
comn-cents

I'm not sure if that is minimum or maximum eye relief, if you can find one to check out, I think that is your only choice in red dot with a reticle. I am going to going to LGS today I'll look to see if they have one, now I'm curious about eye relief.
Old October 1, 2012, 10:06 AM   #9
insomni

Trijicon makes an ACOG the army uses from time to time with a fiber optic red chevron reticle, and a redimentary iron sight on top. Works ok, nothing precision, but can be used effectively with practice. It's for if the optic gets damaged or the glass fogs over.

in the realm of no mag sights, when they take a dump, you just flip up your Back Up Iron Sights... Hence the na,e.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:04 AM   #10
TAKtical

Trijicon rmr doesnt need batteries. Thats why I bought one.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia