The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 21, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1
dr. van

Suppressor for RIA 1911

'm looking at gemtech suppressors for My RIA 1911 just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with them on 1911's? any cycling problems, barrel wear, ETC.? and about the LID recoil reduction device...need it or not? so far thats the lightest and shortest package that still reduces by 28 Db dry that i've found besides a KAC, but thats out of my range a bit, ANY IDEAS?
Old August 22, 2010, 09:16 PM   #2
hksnpr223

i just saw a video on the silencerco osprey. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQfq8ab-nn4&feature=fvsr) it was very quiet and also veery light. tested at an average of 128 db and weighs just 11 ounces. a little bit longer than the gemtech and about $100 dollars more but like i said, very quiet. i dont think you will need a recoil device. the silencer itself will reduce recoil and on a 1911 it would be even less.
Old August 23, 2010, 12:28 AM   #3
David Hineline

Definatly buy the Osprey from Silencer-co or the TI-Rant from AAC.

The Gemtech is not worth your time.
Old August 23, 2010, 01:17 AM   #4
MrM4

Blackslides are on back order anyways. Everyone seems to love the Osprey.
Old August 23, 2010, 12:20 PM   #5
flight954

Go with the Osprey
Old August 25, 2010, 04:35 PM   #6
VUPDblue

Go with the Osprey, you won't regret it, and order it from Major Malfunction and you'll get a MUCH better price than you will from Silencerco. In fact, it will make it price competitive with the Blackside. I love mine

Also, it is not a "recoil reducer" it is a Recoil Booster or Liner Inertial Decoupler (LID) or Neilsen Device. If you have a tilting barrel (Browning designed) action, one of these is necessary for operation. What it does is temporarily disengage the suppressor from the bore-axis of the host weapon long enough for the barrel to tilt and unlock the breach during cycling. Without this device, the suppressor adds too much weight to the front of the barrel causing problems with the action and keeping the gun from cycling. The suppressor itself will lessen felt recoil somewhat, but the device we are talking about has nothing to do with that.
Old August 30, 2010, 08:11 PM   #7
dr. van

hk23 thanks for the link very interesting it does look a little futuristic, and the baffles... pretty cool. and for Mr. blue thanks for the correction on the L.I.D but im still leaning toward the gemtech, i mean i haven't found anything that light and short... we're talkin 5.2 oz. and only 6.1 inches in length, not to mention that the sound difference is only a couple of decibels anyway and if im gonna have to wait 3 or 4 months for the tax stamp why not one more to have them build it unless there were some quality issues with the gemtech? oh and i failed to mention that i'll probably be getting a CDP II in the near future and i wanted to be able to use that suppressor on that to, only concern is the bull barrel. ?
Old August 30, 2010, 10:58 PM   #8
VUPDblue

Keep one very important detail in mind when deciding. With the Gemtech, you won't be able to use your factory sights, the can is too tall. With the Osprey, you can still use the factory sights due to the eccentric design of the can. Just food for thought.