The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2006, 03:49 PM   #1
Nagano21

Question gonna be bird hunting soon

Hi ya'll,

I am going Bird hunting for the first time this coming weekend. I am going to be using a 16Gauge. We are going to be hunting geese, duck,and other various fowl. I was unable to find any steel shot, so I am limited to have to stay away from water when we go. My main question is what chock should I be using. The shotgun I have is an old Mossberg, bolt action. It fires nicely, it was my grandfathers hunting one, he used it for everything. The shotgun has a fixed choke with what I believe are Cylinder, Improved, and modified, I am not positive b/c my gun is locked up at home, and I am away at school. If you think using this gun is a poor choice you recommend me going out and buying a cheap 12guage like a 500 or wingmaster which can be found for under $200. Anyway let me know what you all think, as well as some tips you may have for the hunt... Thanks.
Old October 30, 2006, 04:04 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I was unable to find any steel shot, so I am limited to have to stay away from water when we go.
Couple comments on that:

1. I'm not sure (check your regs), but I don't think it MATTERS whether you're hunting "right over" water or not. I believe you MUST use non-lead shot for going after any migratory waterfowl.

2. Assuming I'm wrong about #1, you still may have luck with geese, in a field, but you're NOT gonna have much luck with ducks without being over water - though it depends on exactly *how far away* from the water you must be to be legal.

3. Why can't you find steel shot? It should be on the shelves in every sporting goods store, on every block in town. If they're out of steel, don't they at least have Remington hevi-shot, or other bismuth/tungsten/iron alloy ammo?

Beyond that, I'd use the improved choke tube if the shooting area available is out to 30 or 40 yards, or modified if out to 40-60 yards, in the exact spot where you'll be hunting. If you don't know the exact spot, I'd probably stick in the modified and take along the improved, and switch out if the game is close in, fast and furious.
Old October 30, 2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Nagano21

The reason I think I could not find anything other than Lead shot was b/c nothing near me has much variety when it comes to 16G. I had my brother look for me, and he said he could find nothing. I guess I will have to look if I have time when I am home.

thanks
Old October 30, 2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Clayfish

The internet is a wonderful thing. Go to cabelas.com and order some 16ga steel shot.
Old October 30, 2006, 04:49 PM   #5
Nagano21

Now I just talked to a guy at a local sporting good store, and he just told me that they never made anything other than lead in 16G. How much I believe that I don't know since you guys are telling me places to find steal. However I don't even think I am going to be hunting over water, which means I don't have to use non lead, I only have to use anything but lead if I am going to hunt over water, so it doesnt look to be that much of a prob now.
Old October 31, 2006, 12:35 AM   #6
Fat White Boy

Nagano- Steel shot is a Federal Regulation mandatory for water fowl taken anywhere. Borrow a 12 gauge and shoot steel...No sense in ruining your first hunt with a citation from the game warden...
Old October 31, 2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Nagano21

Yeah I ended up calling thw wildlife people and they explained it all to me. Now here is where I got confused and left them an e-mail... The whole reason for using non lead is because over the water they will land in the water sink, and waterfowl dive down to get there food and mistake the lead for food eat it and get real sick/die. If I am hunting away from water, I can use any shot I want, however I am CONFUSED about if a waterfowl is not near the water, ie sometimes geese arent always near water, is it ok to shoot waterfowl who are away from water... this is what is not clearn in the abstracts
Old October 31, 2006, 09:21 AM   #8
Clayfish

It's simple. If the law says you can only shoot steel, then you can only shoot steel no mater where you are. They will not listen to your reasoning about water. Just shoot steel. You will pay alot more per box but it will still be cheaper than a ticket.
Old October 31, 2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Nagano21

Hey clayfish,

I just got the e-mail back from them and you are correct. I was just trying to do the reasoning of it in my head, and I was wrong. I never really knew the rules because I am new to hunting. I am going sat, and when I get home from college Fri I am going to go get myself a 12ga, some steel and have some fun. Just sux cuz I love my 16 it was my grandfathers, and I have some real nice lead shot for it, but I can not find 16 steel for it in my area, plus I would not want to put steel through it since it is older.

Thanks
Old October 31, 2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Clayfish

What kind of 16g do you have?
Old October 31, 2006, 03:46 PM   #11
dfaugh

Too bad you can't find steel shot...16 has most of the punch of a 12, but the weight/handiness of a 20.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old October 31, 2006, 10:50 PM   #12
Nagano21

I know it is a bummer, it is all lead shot for 16. When I looked online the steal were like around $130 for a bunch of boxes...way more than I need. Also due to the age I would hate to have to put steel through it
Old November 2, 2006, 12:28 AM   #13
Fat White Boy

Your 16 Ga is a terrific piece for upland game hunting. Quail, dove, pheasant, grouse- The 16 is perfect for them...
Old November 2, 2006, 01:39 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...Why can't you find steel shot?..." It's a 16 guage. Just finding ammo will be hard enough. Cabelas stock is limited to upland loads according to their site.
Hunting migratory birds, ducks and geese, mostly, is regulated by international treaties between the US, Canada and Mexico. The Migratory Bird Act, up here. Steel shot only no matter where you hunt. Over water, it's feared that water fowl will eat the lead shot and die from lead poisoning. Lead poisoning doesn't go away after shooting a sick bird. You eat it and you might get sick too. Mind you, it's not as big of a deal for people. Not something you want to try though.
Nagano21, you're right. Chances are that steel shot may damage your gun. Your shotgun should say on the barrel what choke it has. Full for ducks and geese. Modified or Improved cylinder for upland birds(grouse, pheasants etc).
Go find a used Rem 870 or Mossberg 500.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:43 AM   #15
Nagano21

Ya the 16 does list the three diff chokes. I believe they are cyl, mod and imp. I do not have the shotgun near me so I can not be certain but that is what I think it has.The chokes are not removable. I am going to get a new 500 so it will end this problem. Although I am primarily going to be upland hunting, I just dont want to run into problems if a goose or some other waterfowl just happens to cross above and I want to take a shot at it. Also I need a 12 for myself.

The other problem with the 16 is that the local sporting goods store sells really high powered 16 shells,and when I wan to use them shooting trap I always get yelled at because they all say it is too powerful for a load for their site, and making it bolt action, it is a little hard for skeet.

So a good pump in 12 will suit me, just a bummer cuz I wanna use the 16 more.