The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 30, 2005, 08:35 PM   #1
dsmaruska

Monte Carlo Stock for a Remington 20 Gauge

Mounted a scope on my shotgun and need to raise the comb height. Where can I get a Monte Carlo stock for a Remington Express Magnum 20 Gauge shotgun? Any chance the wooden stock can be easily modified to raise the comb height? Remington customer service told me they do not make one for the 20 gauge and had no suggestions where to look. Searched the web ... no luck. BTW, the shotgun was purchased new in 1988 and is chambered for 2-3/4 and 3 inch shells. Nice slug pattern without the kick of a larger gauge.
Old December 31, 2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Wenig will make you darn near anything but it'll cost plenty.

There's some products out there like Rapid Comb. It's an elastic sleeve that fits over the stock and has inserts of diverse thicknesses that can be added to give the perfect height. A browse through Brownell, Midway, Gamaliel catalogs will turn up more.
Old December 31, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3
dsmaruska

Monte Carlo Stock for a Remington 20 Gauge

Thanks Dave. I have used those types of products and am not satisfied because they have a tendency to move. I was hoping to find something similar to Mossberg's dual-comb stock or a cheek piece that mounts directly to the wood. I will check Brownells as suggested.

So last night I looked at both the 12 gauge and 20 gauge wood stocks, and it appears a 12 gauge stock could be modified to fit a 20 gauge by trimming the receiver end. Your thoughts.

Also, I remember seeing a "how to" magazine article to convert a straight stock to a monte carlo style. Wish I still had that magazine

Did see a post on this same topic. It said a 7400 stock might fit. Hmmmm
Old January 1, 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
dsmaruska

Monte Carlo stock for Remington 870 Express 20 gauge

Check it out ... a Remington 7400 stock is the solution ... http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=158613