The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 9, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1
boa2

Security-Six "CHP" 6" commemorative pics'

I got this CHP Security-Six commemorative(Model GA-86T) awhile back from a retired CHP motorcycle patrolman-but, I was ill for a time and had tucked it away in my safe but, never got around to posting pictures of it. These revolvers were chambered in .38 Special. This gun has the "CHP" stamped on the frame-so it was not over stamped. I just took the following pictures this morning-but, they did not turn out as good as they would have in better lighting-as today was very dark and cloudy:

Old November 9, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
skidder

Congrats on sweet looking 6".
Nice addition to the flock.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 9, 2012, 09:09 PM   #3
boa2

Thanks, Skidder! The only other police marked Security-Sixes that I have in my collection, except for this CHP commemorative is a stainless 6" Sacramento County Sheriffs' Dept. and a 4" blue South Dakota Sheriffs' Dept.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4
SDF880

Very nice!!! I have a Speed Six in 9MM I sure like a lot!
Old November 10, 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
joneb

I would not be surprised if that was a 357 mag wrapped in 38 spl clothing.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:12 AM   #6
skidder

Quote:
I would not be surprised if that was a 357 mag wrapped in 38 spl clothing.
In other words.... it's a 357 bored to 38 depth. This is the cheapest way to make a 38 from a 357. This was done by Ruger on several occasions in order to fulfill private contracts where a 38 was mandatory.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder

Last edited by skidder; November 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:42 AM   #7
joneb

So 38-44 data would be acceptable for this gun ?
Old November 10, 2012, 01:18 AM   #8
skidder

Quote:
So 38-44 data would be acceptable for this gun ?
I'm not familiar with 38-44 data, but I am with 38 +P+ . I have a Service Six chambered in 38 special and can tell you it is the same gun minus the chamber depth. I can swap cylinders with its 357 counter part and vice-verse.

I've been reloading for 20 years so I would recommend most to follow the instruction manual.