The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 27, 2011, 03:28 PM   #1
lsalg369

10/22 doesn't chamber properly...

I just bought a new 10/22 and I seem to be having a problem with it loading a round into the chamber. It seems like the magazine is a little loose and hangs down causing the round to be jammed beneath the chamber. Is this a major problem or a simple fix that I can do on my own?

The factory 10 round magazine is the one I have the problems with. I have one of the Ruger 25 round mags and that one is snug and allows the rounds to chamber properly. So I think the gun might be fine and I just got a bad magazine...

Last edited by lsalg369; November 27, 2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old November 27, 2011, 03:32 PM   #2
wingman

Are you sure the magazine is properly inserted in rifle.? Some 10/22 I've seen
had a tight fit for mag.
Old November 27, 2011, 03:32 PM   #3
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
First check to cofirm that the mag is locked in properly. If this is good, and it is a new gun I suggest returning it and requesting an exchange. With it being new it should be a tight fit into the mag chamber not loose. Hope this helps!
Old November 27, 2011, 03:39 PM   #4
speedfreeq

My buddy just bought a 10-22 at Wal Mart, and his magazine locked up after a few uses, as if the pivot bolt were improperly sized. It would not advance the next round into the feed ramp.
We took it apart, lubed it, reset the coil spring and loctited the bolt shy of fully tight. It seems to have fixed it.
With Wal Mart contracts comes cheapened components... sad.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old November 27, 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
upstate81

Just because you purchase a gun at walmart doesn't make it cheap.
Old November 27, 2011, 04:43 PM   #6
lsalg369

Might be magazine issue...

The factory 10 round magazine is the one I have the problems with. I have one of the Ruger 25 round mags and that one is snug and allows the rounds to chamber properly. So I think the gun might be fine and I just got a bad magazine...
Old November 27, 2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
Is this a major problem or a simple fix that I can do on my own?
There are very few problems with these 10/22's that can be classified as major so yes, it is probably a simple fix. The only problem is trying to make the fix from here. ...

If your OEM 10rnd. mag "clicks" into position, then it is properly seated or captured. If not, you should be able to pull it back down quite easily. If you look at one end of the mag, you will see a small round pin shaped protrusion. This is suppose to fit into the mag plunger female recepticle that locks it into place. That is the click you will hear and feel what the mag is in place.. ...
If you can eliminate the problem by replacing the mag, then that should be the fix. If you have an opertunity, get another 10rnd mag and see it that also fixes the problem. However, I'm guessing that your problem is not the mag. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old November 27, 2011, 08:19 PM   #8
speedfreeq

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate81 View Post
Just because you purchase a gun at walmart doesn't make it cheap.
Of course not, nor is that what I said.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old November 27, 2011, 10:50 PM   #9
mdd

I have a suggestion that is off the beaten path. I have both a 77/22 & a 10/22. Although the factory magazines both look almost identical they are not. They have minute dimensional differences. I have tried the 10/22 mag in the 77/22 & vice-versa and they won't sit correctly. I'm curious if you didn't get a 77/22 mag by mistake. Take the rifle to your point of purchase or local gun store and tell them your problem. Any shop worth a hoot will have 10/22 rifle(s) and accessories. Borrow a verified 10/22 mag and try it. If it works, then buy a new mag or call ruger & they'll send you one for free. Ruger has been making 10/22's for a little while now & I doubt they are still ironing out the kinks. The fact that your other ruger magazine works perfectly strongly supports everything I've surmised here.
Best of luck & let us know how it turns out.

Also, most everybody on here owns a 10/22 or knows three people that own them. Tell us where you are & someone would gladly help. If you are in central Kansas, that someone will be me.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:18 AM   #10
L_Killkenny

Real simple, if the magazine isn't flush than you don't have it in all the way. My hunting partners daughter has one that is a little snug and you just have to take that little extra to make sure you get it in. It may break in a little over time or you may look and see if you need to do some trimming on the stock. In other words, give it a real good look over.

You aren't having issues with the 25 round mag which would indicate it's tolerances are a little looser or maybe just the added leverage makes it easier to insert.

LK
Old November 28, 2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Pahoo

Check your round bottom !!

Quote:
They have minute dimensional differences. I have tried the 10/22 mag in the 77/22 & vice-versa and they won't sit correctly.
Although there are some minor differences, both can be exchanged between the 77/22's and 10/22's. Not going into details as I don't want to Hi-jack this post. ...

The 10/22's have a curved or rounded bottom. The 77/22's have a flat bottom. Both bottoms will fit the contour of their respective rifles. Other than the difference in bottoms, there isn't any difference. Do check to see if your mag is appropriate for your 10/22, round/curved bottom.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 28, 2011, 02:22 PM   #12
mdd

77/22 mag will not fit in my 10/22. Slides into the 77/22 perfectly but hangs up on the sides when trying to put it in 10/22. 10/22 is all factory so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:01 PM   #13
GunXpatriot

Bent mag?

Well I remember a few months ago when I got my Marlin 795, the "lips" on the mag were a little bent. The ammo kind of popped out when loading. This lead to A LOT of double feeds and so on. I bent them over to be a bit tighter and I havent really had an issue since.

The problem with the 10/22 mag is that there are no "lips" that can be corrected... Not sure if that helped at all, but I thought I should mention it.

It really has to be a faulty magazine.

Tags
10/22 , chambering problems , jamming round , rifle , ruger