The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2008, 07:15 PM   #1
bear300us

Shot Gun holes in pattern

I have a 12guage 870 Remington special field vent rib fixed modified choke.A few years back I needed a skeet gun an had it drilled out,after he drilled it there was holes in the pattern I had it looked at by another smith an he said that it had been drilled out to almost a open choke.can this be fixed? dose anyone know a smith that I could send it to that would fix it.I dont know of any good gun smiths in my area.
Old November 5, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Hunter Customs

If the barrel is not to thin you might be able to have screw in chokes installed in the barrel.
It might be less expensive to just buy a new barrel or find a good used one.

As for shotgun barrels having holes in the pattern. I had a beautiful A-5 Browning that would pattern 6 shot as pretty and even as possible, try using 7 1/2 or 8 shot and there was holes in the pattern big enough to throw a ball cap through.
You might want to try a different shot size before you give up on the barrel you now have.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 5, 2008, 08:00 PM   #3
BigJimP

You will be money ahead just buying a new barrel with screw in chokes.
Old November 6, 2008, 08:39 AM   #4
FL-Flinter

Unless the bore was mechanically wrecked in some manner as a result of the "boring", you should be able to adjust the load to the barrel. Shotguns are no different than rifles, you can't expect to shove anything you want in the back side and have it work properly on the front side. Change the powder, change the payload weight, change the wad, ect. The amount of squeeze applied by a common constriction choke often means less to degree of pattern quality than a properly built load for the gun.
Old November 7, 2008, 01:39 AM   #5
bear300us

I bought a new one on GB tonight $98 shipped to my door,I wont do that again I think I should have adjusted my load before I had it drilled out,Live an learn O Well
Old November 12, 2008, 03:25 PM   #6
foghornl

Even shotguns are not immune to the basic law of firearms:

EVERY gun/barrel/ammo brand & type combination is a law unto itself.

Case in point: Shooting Budd & I both have Maverick 88 shotguns with the 18-1/2" cylinder bore barrel. Mine throws the best patterns with Rem #4 Buck, while his works best with Win #1 Buck. Another Budd with a Mossberg 500 and the short barrel finds his is best w/Fed 00Buck.

"Slugs?" you say? Again, Your Mileage Will Vary. Mine best with PMC brand 2-3/4" 1-Oz, worthless with Rem "Sluggers". First Budd's is best with Sluggers, while 2md guys guns like the Brennekke KO slugs.