The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 30, 2013, 10:47 PM   #1
GreySmoke

Need new Safes?

I'm moving to Texas and have outgrown my steel cabinets and want to move up to safes. Should I get one vary large safe or two medium safes one for rifles and one for handguns. What do those who have a large collection do?
Also any good places to buy safes at the best possible price near Dallas?
Old March 31, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2
KO3422

I'd opt for one very large safe if it were me. Two just seems cumbersome and maybe cost prohibitive. I guess it would depend on how big your collection is. I do like the Amsec stuff as well as Heritage brands.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3
7jinxed7

I think it depends on how much room you have to put one. Although it will take longer for someone to break in two safes vs one. Just my opinion. Me personally i have no where to put a large safe.

I looked at one those heritage safes recently and they looked well made. The steel plate on the door was thicker than my liberty.
Old March 31, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Catfish

I lost 30 guns in a fire, about 1/2 of what I had at the time. When I built my new house I took 10 ft off the back of the garage and put in a 10 ft x 20 ft. vault with 8 in. of concreat with rebar and a 950 lb. Mosler vault door on it. No more worry about fire and it will be real hard to get into. Just somethimg for you to ponder.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
7jinxed7

Now thats how it's done. Good idea.
Old April 1, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
L2R

i like medium safes

easier to move.

in case of fire, you might save 1/2. most fires don't necessarily burn down the entire home.
Old April 2, 2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Hookedhorn

I would go with the safe, look at the burn rate and top heat rating. I just recently purchased one. I did quite a bit of research and found a lot of the more expensive safe had a lower burn rate then the one I purchased for less.
Old April 2, 2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Technosavant

I have two medium sized safes.

One large one flat wouldn't go in my house- too much weight for the floor itself, not able to get down to the basement, I'm NOT leaving it in the garage (too much in there as it is). Two safes also allow me to secure my collection in difference places- one quicker to access, one elsewhere in the house. If a thief would break in, he would need to spend much time making noise to get into one of them, then do it all again in order to get into the other... something one isn't likely to do.

One bigger one would indeed be cheaper, but sometimes it just isn't possible or desirable to do that. If I were building a house from the get-go I'd be likely to harden an area of the basement for this purpose (concrete walls, a good strong door, etc.). But I'm not.