The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 26, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
bmadddd7

Next Rifle Purchase (My list with accessories) Criticism Please!

This is my wish list with a rifle and some new range stuff I need. Just want ya'lls approval or disapproval. Constructive criticism would be great. Thanks guys!

Rifle And Accessories
Rifle – Remington 700 sps tactical .308
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/42070
Price - $649.00

Bipod – Harris engineering Ultralight Bipod
http://www.opticsplanet.com/harris-e...nch-s-brm.html
Price – $111.99

Range Finder – Leupold RX-1000i
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...-with-dna.html
Price – $349.99

Shooting Gloves – Blackhawk S.O.L.A.G HD with Kevlar
http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhaw...-w-kevlar.html
Price - $69.99

Tactical Rail Scope Mount – EGW Remington 700 Picatinny rail
http://www.opticsplanet.com/egw-remi...ope-mount.html
Price - $39.99

Scope Rings – Weaver Tactical Scope Rings
http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-tactical.html
Price - $29.89

Spotting Scope – Vortex Nomad 20-60x60mm
http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-n...e-nmd-60a.html
Price - $246.99

Rifle Scope – Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 mm
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html
Price - $479.99

Combat Boots – Blackhawk Warrior Wear Black Ops Waterproof Boots
http://www.opticsplanet.com/black-op...rior-wear.html
Price - $104.99

Gun Sling – Blackhawk Storm Tactical Sling
http://www.opticsplanet.com/one-poin...cal-sling.html
Price - $23.99

Gun Case – Blackhawk Padded Weapons Case 44 Black
http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhaw...-44-black.html
Price - $89.99

Total Cost w/ Estimated Shipping - $2,256.80
Old December 26, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
big al hunter

A good day at the range = PRICELESS!!!!

Wouldn't change anything.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3
reynolds357

I would go with steel rings, but other than that its all fine if it is what you like. I prefer higher powered scopes, but thats just me.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:52 PM   #4
bmadddd7

I currently have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 btw that was my first weapon and I love it. Put around 1,500 rounds through it. This is just the next step I want to take. I bought that gun for the looks and coolness of it, and I love(d) every minute of that weapon, very accurate and never jammed or malfunctioned. Now I really want to learn about rifles. The real way to learn (bolt action). I usually borrow a spotter scope and other stuff so I hope that stuff I picked out is good enough. I am on a slight budget Reynolds and high powered scopes are a bit outrageous.

PS I usually take trips with my friend to Vermont and we hike and find great places to target shoot thats why I need combat boots and gloves. Not a big hunting fan, too much of a softy lol.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:35 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
Rifle – Remington 700 sps tactical .308

Quote:
Here's the perfect sling for use in CQB. Allows easy movement and still allows you to guide the rifle as necessary.

Best single point sling available.
A CQB single point sling on a scoped bolt gun makes as much sense as kick stand on a skateboard......

Ask yourself, "What is it FOR?" ......

I'd rather have an M-1907 style sling, and lose the bi-pod, but my needs are not yours, more than likely.

Dunno what $70 gloves will do for you that a pair of Salvation Army ski gloves won't ..... even properly fitting and cared for Army surplus gloves or trigger mittens work..... and don't cost nearly as much as a basic handloading set-up.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Nathan

Well, I would spend my money on better steel rings like EGW, TPS, etc. Also, I would get a better sling for this guns use .

Also, I would look for a better scope for the purpose of tactical shooting like Super Sniper, Burris XTR, Weaver Tactical. . .

I would wait on boots, gloves and other dress up for lateer.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:21 AM   #7
jimbob86

What's wrong with the boots and gloves you have now?
Old December 27, 2012, 12:23 AM   #8
jimbob86

Quote:
Total Cost w/ Estimated Shipping - $2,256.80
I spend 2K on a rig, I better be able to drive it, or make money with it ......
Old December 27, 2012, 12:23 AM   #9
Sport45

Combat boots are a rifle accessory?
Old December 27, 2012, 12:29 AM   #10
jimbob86

Were I to cut corners, it'd be on the gun, not the boots ...... cold, wet feet have a way of ending a hunting trip...... and spending the extra effort to close the distance you have to shoot will make more difference in success than an extra $1000 spent on the gun and glass.

He did say he was hiking .... crappy shoes will ruin your trip.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:36 AM   #11
smokiniron

Maybe a Savage...?

Consider a Savage Weather Warrior in 30-06. You can always find ammo and it has a WIDE tolerance for up or down loading. Ammo is cheap. And without wanting to start the usual fight, .308 and 30-06 have substantially similar ballistics for average hunting and 'community defense' applications. Disclaimer... I am a noob reloader. My book reloads work. But there are myriad discussions from the resident experts on the merits of these two rounds.
Scope out the Redfield 3x9 with the 50mm objective and Accurange. Good value.
and a few defensive firearms, too!
Old December 27, 2012, 12:52 AM   #12
Sport45

Quote:
He did say he was hiking .... crappy shoes will ruin your trip.
I didn't see his second post.

Yes, get some good waterproof hiking shoes. Boots are good if you think the water will be more than a few inches deep. In that case about the only thing that will truly keep your feet dry IMHO is rubber boots.

You might want to consider a good shooting mat as well.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:58 AM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
In that case about the only thing that will truly keep your feet dry IMHO is rubber boots.
Walk very far in challenging terrain, and rubber boots will make your feet wetter from unvented sweat than if you wore bedroom slippers..... BTDT.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:57 AM   #14
Scorch

Rem 700 SPS- looks good

Harris bipod- I would recommend just get a good sling and learn to shoot with a sling. And a sling is lighter than a bipod.

Leupold VX3 3.5-10- Great scope, but not what you need for what you are talking about. I would recommend a 6.5-20 EFR scope with the varmint hunter reticle or a mil-dot and learn how to range with it. http://www.opticsplanet.com/custom-l...fle-scope.html

Range finder- if you learn how to range with a mil dot, you won't need a laser range finder, and you can spend the savings on better glass.

Gloves- you can find better gloves a lot cheaper. They may not be tacticool, but they are better.

Gun case- Who cares, but get something that will protect the rifle.

Sling- get a shooting sling, not a tactical sling. http://www.opticsplanet.com/browning...r-swivels.html

Spotting scope- you must have a pack horse or a whole team of friends to pack all this stuff. Good scope, but how much stuff do you want to pack?

Rail- Weaver makes a Picatinny rail and it is rock solid, as are the tactical rings.

Good boots are worth their weight in gold. Get good GoreTex boots, no insulation (if it gets cold wear wool socks), Vibram soles. I buy the best I can get, usually about $300 a pair. My friends all smirk, but at the end of the day, I am still walking. And they last a lot longer than cheap boots, too.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:39 AM   #15
bmadddd7

Wow guys thank you for everything. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this stuff but I once got the advice to invest in nice equipment rather than going the cheap way. What I got from ur responses is get a nicer sling, I am staying with the scope, probably not getting a range finder. Spotting scope is needed or I might replace with high powered bincolulars. Bipod is staying, I will need that for other guns so why not invest in a nice one. I am staying with the Remington 700 because this is the base model that police use (before customizations) and that is my future career in a few years and I intend to learn it and hopefully master it beforehand. Hiking in Vermont is cold and those gloves are wicked warm from the reviews. I will buy nicer boots and look at gore-tex. I will get steel scope rings and an EGW rail instead

Once again, thanks everyone so much.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Uncle Malice

Looks like a good setup. I'm currently in the process of putting together a similar outfit to what you have outlined here.... but I'm not ordering it all at once. Much too painful to do it all in one shot... for me anyways.

I picked up the SPS Tactical from Bud's a couple of weeks ago. Looks like the price went up. I got it for $589... but that's still not a bad price. The gun is great. A little heavier than I was expecting with the bull barrel, but that's not an issue on a stationary precision gun.

I ordered the same bipod you want - I found it on that one auction site for $95 shipped. Maybe you can save some money there.

I also ordered the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist 2 stock (model 2092). They are currently on sale at Stocky's through 12/31. The Short Action BBC are currently showing out of stock, but I emailed with Kim brown in their customer service dept. She said that they get these stocks in all the time and it should be too much of a wait - so go ahead and put in the order to get the sale price and you'll get the stock as soon as it comes in.

I like the feel of the Hogue stock that the gun comes with, but the flimsy forend flexes and makes contact with the barrel when you have it on a bipod - so that had to go.

I have the Voodoo tactical double rifle case, which is similar to the blackhawk one that you listed. Works great and has backpack style straps. That's a big deal for me because I ride a motorcycle year round.

I started off with a cheaper scope, since I'm pretty inexperienced with scoped guns. I don't have any clue what features separate a $150 scope from a $600 scope from a $2,000 scope.... So I went with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 for the mean time, while I get used to shooting a scoped gun and figure out what sucks about a cheap scope. Seems pretty good so far. Clear glass, nice zoom. I've heard that maybe it won't hold a good zero when changing between magnification levels, so maybe that's where cheap scopes fall short. We'll see. I don't have a problem spending money on a good one... I just need to know what I'm buying and why.

I also ordered the KRG bolt lift knob. I like the aluminum 'tactical' knobs... but it's quite procey to sent the bolt in to have it modified and installed. I figured for $28, I can try out a temporary one to see how I like it... if it works out well.. maybe I'll spend the cash on the permanent modded one.

Good luck on your package. Looks like an awesome setup!
Old December 27, 2012, 08:47 AM   #17
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadddd7

PS I usually take trips with my friend to Vermont and we hike and find great places to target shoot thats why I need combat boots and gloves. Not a big hunting fan, too much of a softy lol.

Well............. FWIW, I would strongly advise that you add the cost of, and buy, a Vermont Non-Resident Hunting License to your list, since if a Game Warden or other LEO decides to "check" your party when you're firing in the woods, etc, and finds a person afield with a firearm and no license, they will usually confiscate the firearm (and whatever's attached to it), then issue a court summons on the spot, if not remove you to their "office".

AFAIK, the only time they won't is if you're at an official/formal gun range.

Old December 27, 2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Picher

Seems like a pretty heavy rifle/bipod rig to carry very far into the woods. You might be better off with a lighter rifle that still shoots well. For instance, you'd be surprised how well Tikka T3s shoot, whether in Synthetic or Walnut.

Another good choice is the Win Mod. 70.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:47 PM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
Seems like a pretty heavy rifle/bipod rig to carry very far into the woods.
I think the "Wussification* of the American Male" is alive and well ...... when even an outdoorsy gun guy can't carry an 8 to 9 lb rifle ...... the GI's of our Grandparents' time schlepped 10 lb Garands and 16lb BARs across western Europe and the jungles of the south Pacific, on less food than you'll throw out this year ......

Part of the "hike in the woods"/hunting thing is to get some excercise ......... so quitcherbellachin', ruck up and get moving!

*Y'all ought to look up Kim Du Toit's essay .....

Last edited by jimbob86; December 27, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:55 PM   #20
bmadddd7

Uncle Malice - Thanks for the advice everything is noted my
man. I do not have the money for it all at once my
man no worries. I am probably waiting until the summer anyway because i just had shoulder surgery on my shooting shoulder.

Jim Bob - That's exactly my thought! I'm not goig out hiking with the expectations for it to be easy I want a challenge physically. Idc how heavy the rifle is lol.

Thank you everyone!
Old December 27, 2012, 01:20 PM   #21
emcon5

I would skip the tacticool scope mount and get the standard Leupold LR base and rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/364...t-action-matte
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/633...s-matte-medium

You can probably find them cheaper.

Never understood why someone would want rails on a bolt gun, which will in all likelihood never have the scope removed.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:59 PM   #22
Chet Punisher

Buds is not the cheapest. I got one from Grabagun for under $600... They are out of stock at the moment, but unless you are paying cash, the real price is $670... Grabagun is $6 shipping ... Bang, saved you $70...

Chet