The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2000, 10:53 AM   #1
AUTiger73

Correction: Subject header should read 24" barrel.

Need expert advice pertaining to the Winchester Model 94 Legacy Rifle - chambered for .357 Magnum.

(1) Does the LONG 24" barrel gain any velocity over the Winchester 94 - 20" barrel version of this rifle?

(2) Will reloading the .357 Magnum with a relatively "slower" burning powder provide better results in terms of muzzle velocity and accuracy, - OR does the smaller case capacity make this impossible?

(3) What would be the optimum barrel length in a .357 Magnum, meaning the maximum barrel length before the point at which muzzle velocities actually decrease?

My thoughts are that the .357 Magnum with the typical fast burning pistol powders, whether factory loads or reloads, will "burn-up" before leaving the 24 inch barrel. In fact, I believe the longer barrel will actually produce less velocity than the 20 inch barrel. Any comments would be welcomed.

I really wonder what advantage a 24 inch barrelled 357 Magnum could have in the Winchester Model 94, expect for increased magazine capacity which may be desireable for the CAS competitors.

The rifle I'm referring to is shown at - http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...y/94legacy.htm

[This message has been edited by AUTiger73 (edited July 27, 2000).]
Old July 27, 2000, 02:23 PM   #2
Bogie

Well, I've not shot the 24" version, but a 125 grain Gold Dot over a case full of W296 produces a pretty fair fireball out of my 16" carbine - I imagine one would get better results with more barrel length.

If the rifle is not a "collectable" you may want to consider having it modified for .357 Max - That would give you still more powder to burn...

Old July 27, 2000, 02:37 PM   #3
Jeff, CA

I'm no expert, but I think the way it goes is this: you are right, that a slow-burning powder will help in a longer barrel, but only to a certain point. Slow-burning powders take up more space in the case, so the maximum charge of a slow-burning powder might be less than a faster burning one (there simply won't be room for any more). This will limit your velocities, regardless of barrel length. The trick is to find the optimum balance of burning rate and powder charge for the case volume and barrel length. You should stay with the recommended powders, too - experiment with the powders listed in your reloading manual(s).

Old July 27, 2000, 07:49 PM   #4
Hal

www.sixgunner.com

Paco Kelly has lots of info on the .357. One of the archives lists a 180 gr cast bullet at a shade under 2000fps out of a 24 " Winchester. Given the charge of 2400 he uses, I would imagine in a longer barrel, such as my Marlin Cowboy II, the load would exceed 2000fps.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited July 27, 2000).]