The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Cloudpeak

40 S&W load for shooting steel

I've been working up loads for my XD40 SC using Unique and either 155 gr. Laser Cast lead bullets or 180 gr. West Coast Plated bullets. 6.4 grains of Unique with the 155 gr and 5.5 grains of Unique with the 180 gr. have been very accurate in my XD.

I recently bought Power Pistol to replace the Unique in the hopes it will measure a bit better through my Hornady LNL powder measure so will need to go through load developement again. I shoot 6", falling steel targets at 7 yards at a local range which is a lot of fun. I've pretty much decided to go with the plated bullets just to keep lead and lube off my fingers, gun, etc. and would like to pick one bullet for steel and target shooting. It seems that a moderate, accurate load that doesn't recoil much would be the goal to achieve. I don't need to make any power factors. Just need to be able to knock over the plates. Am I better to go with a 180 gr. plated or something lighter like maybe 165 gr? My gut feeling is that it wouldn't make much difference at moderate velocities.

Thanks
Old June 2, 2005, 08:14 AM   #2
HSMITH

I would go with 180's at lower speed, with a faster powder. That will have the lowest felt recoil and fastest follow up shots. 200 grain bullets would also be a very good choice.

A light load of Power Pistol and 180's ought to be very nice though.
Old June 3, 2005, 03:41 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

recoiling

OAL 1.130"+/-.005"; Rainier 180g TCJ-FP; CCI500; correctly sized case; start 5.2g Power Pistol.
Can use .2g increments up to 6.0g.

I expect somewhere around 5.4--5.6g will work sweetest; your results may vary.
Old June 3, 2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Cloudpeak

Thanks, guys. I didn't write a very clear post I'm afraid but you guys got it

I finished up the last of my Unique using the 180 gr. West Coast bullets. Today, the Uniqe fed through the measure pretty well but did dump one light charge (visible difference) in 300 rounds. Before, I was plagued by static. We've had a lot of humidity here (well, alot for Wyoming) and the Unique behaved a bit better today.

Next project is to decide if I want to stay with the West Coast or try Berrys, Ranier's, Montana Gold, etc. I'm about out of the West Coast bullets so it would be a good time to change.

Thanks,
Old June 4, 2005, 03:02 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

boollets

Rainiers plated seem the most accurate most often; Montana Gold jacketed bullets are, well, jacketed. Verygood.

Other good jacketed bullets are: Zero, Winchester, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Remington, and IMI.

Your results may vary.

(Me? I shoot tons of Rainier, Winchester, IMI, and Hornady. Mostly Rainier, 'cause they're cheap and mostly accurate.)
Old June 4, 2005, 08:36 AM   #6
Frenchwrench

I've had very good results with 165 gr Montana Gold, but I use WST. Recoil is moderate and they knock down steel well.
Old June 5, 2005, 08:40 AM   #7
Cloudpeak

Thanks, guys. All good stuff. I appreciate the tips.

Cloudpeak