The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2002, 08:30 PM   #26
spark chaser

I bought my series 1 Kimber in like new condition (less than 200 rounds through it) last year for $500.00
Old November 25, 2002, 08:48 PM   #27
foghornl

Ruger KP-90. Alloy frame, matte finish Stainless Steel uppers, $440 New at my favorite local shop. Eats any ammo you feed it, with good accuracy (except some "black talons" a buddy gave me). Rem 230-Gr Golden Sabre is my defense round, Sellier & Bellot 230-Gr ball for range.
Old November 25, 2002, 08:52 PM   #28
Jonpod

Is that High Point made with forged or caaaaahahahh ha ha ha hast? I meant to say cast, that is. It sure looks like a brick with a handle. It is very ergonomic; NOT! Is that the tactical package. No really, I think people on a low budget should have guns too but why on earth would you buy that POS. Get a Makarov. It might be reliable but how exactly do you get past the fuglyness. Call it what it is, one ugly over priced paperweight. I've seen them at gun shows and they make me laugh every time. You have got to be kidding me if anyone thinks that thing will stand up to the test of time. And if it doesn't who in the heck is gonna work on a kodak disposable gun. Sorry but that is my opinion.
Old November 25, 2002, 09:32 PM   #29
Lennyjoe

How about a Charles Daly DDA? Going for around $250-300 depending on where you find them.
Old November 26, 2002, 03:06 AM   #30
notbubba

"It sure looks like a brick with a handle."

Jonpod,
Quit bad mouthing bricks.
Old November 26, 2002, 04:00 AM   #31
PsychoSword

Quote:
Is that High Point made with forged or caaaaahahahh ha ha ha hast? I meant to say cast, that is. It sure looks like a brick with a handle. It is very ergonomic; NOT! Is that the tactical package. No really, I think people on a low budget should have guns too but why on earth would you buy that POS. Get a Makarov. It might be reliable but how exactly do you get past the fuglyness. Call it what it is, one ugly over priced paperweight. I've seen them at gun shows and they make me laugh every time. You have got to be kidding me if anyone thinks that thing will stand up to the test of time. And if it doesn't who in the heck is gonna work on a kodak disposable gun. Sorry but that is my opinion.
I agree completely, I mean who the hell would buy that piece of crap :barf: Maybe it would deter some crime because if a criminal saw that gun he wouldn't want to take a chance at getting shot by it, I mean that would be just too embarrassing, shot by a Hi-Point hehehehe.

Man, if you only have $159.99 to spend on a gun then for god sakes don't buy a Hi-Point, get a used .38 revolver or something, I mean that's just ridiculous LoL

Oh ya, I think you should get the Colt 80 series or Springfield Armory Mil-Spec model.
Old November 26, 2002, 11:52 AM   #32
Gonzo_308

If money's that damn tight get a used or police turn in model 10 or something.

I wouldn't trust my life to that POS!!!

To quote a good man

"You get what you pay for, front end or back end"
Old November 26, 2002, 12:28 PM   #33
Preacherman

To all those being rude about the Hi-Points, you might like to take a look at the American Handgunner 2003 Tactical Annual. Roy Huntington has this to say, amongst other things:
Quote:
Need a cheap tackle-box kind of a gun, or maybe you're on a tight budget and want something to protect the bacon? Hi-Point gets our vote, hands-down. ... the general grip profile reminded us of the feel of the Browning [Hi-Power], which isn't a bad thing. Sights were first-rate, with bright orange inserts and fully adjustable and a bit of a surprise on this level of handgun. ... It fed. And fed. And fed. Until we were very, very tired of loading the magazines. ... The surprise of the day was that each one turned in consistent 3" and 4" groups at 25 yards. ... We didn't want it to happen that way. We wanted them very badly to shoot poorly so we could point our fingers and say "Ah Ha! You get what you pay for, eh?" But it simply didn't work out that way and our collective know-it-all egos remained semi-bruised by the experience. ... if we were ... recommending a reliable inexpensive semiauto for home defense, plinking, or learning about shooting on a budget, we'd grit our teeth and grunt out, "Get a Hi-Point, until you can afford a Browning Hi-Power or something." If the bump in the night happened and all we had was our Hi-Point nine in our hand, we wouldn't feel 'askeered. No foolin'.
The article is titled "Affordable Firepower", and starts on page 19.

Don't judge a book by its cover, guys and gals!
Old November 26, 2002, 02:21 PM   #34
Tropical Z

I can't speak for others,but to ME a budget gun costs less than $200.00 Recommending these $500.00 guns as a "budget" piece are absurd IMHO!
Shoot a Hi-Point and you'll be converted.And what do all you bashers say about that article HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 26, 2002, 08:23 PM   #35
BudS

Thanks, folks...

...for all the suggestions. Let me clarify something: if I can't find an affordable .45, then I'll settle for a Kel-Tec P-11. I agree: a budget gun is "around" $200 or so, otherwise, I'd be shopping for that $500-$900 gun.

I already carry a Makarov, rechambered for .380 with an extended ported barrel. Fully loaded, it wieghs 1.75 lb. and digests ANY kind of .380 ammo I put through it. I've used & repaired some of the Kel-tec knock-offs, which I'm getting rid of, and I like the simple design...plus KT's customer service if anything goes wrong. Needless to say, CCW is important to me. However...

If an affordable .45 comes to me, I'll go that route. The Makarov will stay CCW, while the .45 will go open carry in the appropriate situations. I've carried a .45 before and I like the brute-force operation and ease of maintenance of a 1911A1. I also carry a S&W M.19 revolver, but don't like "only" six rounds...plus, a speedy loader ISN'T.

As for the Hi-Points, they're not my personal favorite; I've seen & handled one & it just didn't appeal to me...sorry! And the Cobra Patriot: they're the same people that carried the knock-off Kel-Tecs under a different company name, then dropped the line with no support, so there's a question of quality and trust. HAS ANYONE BOUGHT/SHOT/CARRIED THE PATRIOT YET? Thanks again.
Old November 26, 2002, 08:24 PM   #36
Jonpod

If there were more than one article touting the advantages of the High Point maybe... but it sounds like this guy must have lost a bet or something. If you want to trust your life to a total hunk of junk like that fine, but not me. And it is not a poor bashing thing either. Been there and done that and there are plenty of quality choices available. If it were me, I'd get rid of that thing like a hot potato and take my $25 dollars from the trade in and get a used revolver like a model 10 of something. Be smart your life may depend on it.

Your gun might be a laughing matter but your life is not. And just because I'm knocking that POS don't take it personally. It is not intended that way. Besides I think that metal may be put to better use as a sewer cap or something. That would improve its ergonomics lots.
Old November 26, 2002, 09:22 PM   #37
Preacherman

You know, all this Hi-Point bashing has just decided me to buy one for myself, and try it out. I trust Roy Huntington and American Handgunner's judgment, and I really think that "beauty is more than skin-deep", to coin a phrase! (Or function, in this case, rather than beauty...) I'll post a review once I've tried it - but I think that it will probably be a pleasant surprise.
Old November 26, 2002, 09:23 PM   #38
Preacherman

Sorry, double-tap.
Old November 26, 2002, 09:27 PM   #39
Lennyjoe

Charles Daly DDA Compact for $269 is not alot of dough for a good handgun.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:01 AM   #40
ExtremeDooty

I have a Hi-point 9MM compact that cost $109. It has been reliable and accurate, no jams with any of the ammo I shoot. I think the 40SW and 45ACP sell for under $150. I just bought an XD-40 and love it, but I'm keeping the Hi-point around just because it's fun to shoot. I'm assuming the 45 will be just as reliable.
Old November 27, 2002, 09:14 AM   #41
ArmsAkimber

Location: Dayton, Ohio -- Home of the automatic starter and Freon!
Hi-Point

I've never shot any of the MKS (Hi-Point products). However, here in Dayton, Ohio (where Hi-Points are made, BTW) the largest guns store in the area sells a great many Hi-Points and receives few complaints about them, according to the salesmen.

That said, I'd side with those who suggest a police trade in or otherwise used firearm. If 9mm is acceptable (you mentioned a Kel-Tec P11 as an option), www.aimsurplus.com has Sig P225 pistols available for $299. For $300+s/h, you can get a super reliable handgun that you will >enjoy< shooting, and be proud to carry to the range. Also, 9mm is one of the cheapest centerfire pistol rounds to buy.

If a .45ACP is a must, and used pieces are hard to come by, I'd vote for a Ruger. From horror stories I've heard about customer "service" from EAA, importers of the Witness line, I'd steer well clear of Witnesses.

ArmsAkimber
Old November 27, 2002, 11:33 AM   #42
MrAcheson

Umm I'd stay clear of anything made by Cobra, at least if Corba/Davis derringers are any indication. Davis's reputation for quality was right up there with Lorcin, Jennings, and Bryco.
Old November 27, 2002, 01:11 PM   #43
Tropical Z

The Charles Daly DDA is a very nice well made .45 that you may want to consider like others have said.If you wanted a full size steel 9mm,you could get a FEG HP from SOG for $199.95.The DDA is also at SOG's site.
Not everyone likes the feel or looks of the Hi-Points,but reliability is not an issue.www.southernohiogun.com
Old November 27, 2002, 09:11 PM   #44
Labuyo

The High Point might be reliable for now, but for how long? 500-1k rounds? Get something that you know will last. You don't want it dying on you in the moment of truth. That said, I would vote for the Makarov or the BHP clone at SOG at least both of this gun designs are proven reliable and durable. But if you must go .45 cal, I'll say get the Ruger p97/90 or Rock Island Armory. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Old November 27, 2002, 10:45 PM   #45
BudS

CDNN Investments?

Several mentions have been made here about how folks can "see" guns listed on CDNN's website. However, all I can get there is accessories, parts & stuff! Is there a 'hidden page" I'm not seeing? Thanks!
Old November 28, 2002, 12:33 AM   #46
boing

I think you need have their catalog. You can download their latest here:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

I haven't downloaded it, so I'm not sure if it's the same as their mail catalog. I assume it is.
Old December 5, 2002, 02:49 AM   #47
CasualShooter

Only mentioned once above; but, I'd suggest you check out the Taurus PT-145. It's just a hair larger than the Kel-Tec PT-11 so it will conceal real well, Light, Polymer Grip, DA only, 10 + 1 rounds of .45acp, and can be found for less than $400 (I bought mine last month, NIB, made this year, for $360). Check it out at http://www.taurususa.com/

Early copies had problems with cracking of the polymer grip (which some refer to erroneously as the frame) at the rear of the grip (which Taurus will fix) but this appears to have been solved more than a year ago with guns made after September of 2001. See Thread "Frame crack on the PT-145" on this board for more info on this subject. If you look for copies made this year or next (serial numbers beginning with NV denotes made in 2002 and NW will denote those made in 2003) you should be OK.

Also, nothing wrong with the Kel-Tec PT-11 you mentioned except that a 9mm is not a .45acp. The belt clip available from Kel-Tec for about $12 makes mine tuck away IWB so nice that it's easy to forget that I am wearing it.

What part of "shall not be infringed" is not understood? - Col. Jeff Cooper
Old December 5, 2002, 05:16 PM   #48
duckdawg

One more alternative...

The SigArms M2 is a nifty little .45 that comes NIB for $400 US. It shoots well out of the box. The only problem I had with mine was that it likes to be cleaned and lubed more aggresively than I like. If its dirty and dry it might fail to feed.
Old December 5, 2002, 10:50 PM   #49
BudS

I couldn't he'p it!

I'll still be looking at .45s in the coming days, but I found a P-11 for $165! Gun shop owner knew the previous owner, who had shot it twice or three times, then put it up for a year or so. Dry as a bone, except for some packing grease, but in like-new condx! Plus, an extra aftermarket mag, original box & paperwork! Heck, I couldn't help myself, my wife whipped out the checkbook for me! Also got a P-045 grip extension

Did a quick Fluff & Buff while I had it apart & ran some Speer Lawman FMJ through it- GREAT! Even the aftermkt. mag fed OK, so I'll keep it. Now, for a preban 12-rd S&W mag....

Thanks for the ideas, folks! I'm still shopping for that .45 down the road; got to see what happens after 12/31/02, our business has been bought out by a competitor... , so we'll have to see who's left. Hopefully our department won't be hit too hard:barf: ; I'm making myself well-seen & indispensable, I hope!

God'll work it out...I'm sure us "grunts" will have our jobs, since they have virtually few who can run our department! Still, I'll be watching the pay/bennie package to make sure the household is taken care of FIRST.
Old December 5, 2002, 11:31 PM   #50
boing

Quote:
I couldn't help myself, my wife whipped out the checkbook for me!
Oh man, you're DOOMED!