The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old May 20, 2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Brown_Guy

Need some guidance on a rifle choice

I am new to this forum and would like to extend my greetings to everyone...

I have a question, I have been target shooting now for about 15 years and have decided to step into the long range tournament scene (600yds-1000yds). After doing some research I am considering two rifles that fit my budget ($400-$700) one is the 7mm Remington Mag and another is the .300 Winchester Short Mag. Both rifles have great ballistics and match my current price range. However there are many manufactures who make these paticular calibers. My plan is to modify as much of the gun as much as possible on my own and over time, but I want a good base to start with. I looked at the Tikka, Savage, and the Remington models. Is there much difference? or perhaps another model that would suit me better? Also if there is a paticular scope that would suit me? I have looked into Leupold and SWF scopes one dicounts the other as saying they are the best. I have owned leupold and never had any problems and have always consider them very high quality but again taking shots at a long range distance is there a paticular model that I should consider that allow accurate adjustments when needed? I appreciate any knowledge that you can pass my way.