The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2010, 02:10 AM   #1
burger and fries

+P Ammo in a Glock

Hello,

Is it safe to fire +P ammo through a Glock pistol frequently? What would the effects be?

I'm wondering if it's wise to constantly use +P ammo in a Glock.

Thanks,
bnf
Old March 18, 2010, 12:19 PM   #2
MTS840

Quote:
Hello,

Is it safe to fire +P ammo through a Glock pistol frequently? What would the effects be?

I'm wondering if it's wise to constantly use +P ammo in a Glock.
Which model of Glock? What ammo were you considering?

For the most part, yes, it's safe.

It will put slightly more wear and tear on the gun, but not enough to worry about. You would probably have to change the recoil springs more frequently, but that's about it.

I wouldn't shoot +P constantly at the range, but you might want it for self-defense purposes.

Last edited by MTS840; March 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Puntmefar

I personally use Winchester supreme elite 124gr +p hp in my Glock 17 for defence ammo. It is what my gun store recomended for my gun and purpouse if that helps you any ( i havent fired any of them yet plan to fire 3-4 rounds this weekend at the range this weekend basically the extras after loading)
Old March 18, 2010, 02:09 PM   #4
burger and fries

thanks for the info.

bnf
Old March 18, 2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I personally use Winchester supreme elite 124gr +p hp in my Glock 17 for defence ammo. It is what my gun store recomended for my gun and purpouse if that helps you any ( i havent fired any of them yet plan to fire 3-4 rounds this weekend at the range this weekend basically the extras after loading)
You're defensive handgun is loaded up with ammunition that you've never even shot out of the weapon before??

That's dangerous.... and really stupid.

I would rather have FMJ ammo that I know works well than a bunch of JHP that I've never shot before.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Puntmefar

Uncle Malice please re-read my post where does it say i have loaded it yet and it does say i will be shooting whats left after loading i do have multiple mags i can load and not put in the gun. all i ask is take things for what i say not what some one thinks is implyed. i wont reply off topic again dont want to screw up the OP's thread
Old March 18, 2010, 02:28 PM   #7
christcorp

Uncle mallice is 100% correct. You need, at the very lease, to shoot an entire box of the ammo through the gun to ensure you don't have any issues. I can tell you first hand that I have a gun that will NOT shoot Corbon ammo no matter what the gun store owner recommends. Every gun is unique. Even in the same models. You and your friend could both have a glock 17, but that doesn't mean they both will fire the same ammo equally.

Does this mean you might have to shoot 2-3 boxes of $25 ammo to determine which ammo shoots best in your gun, is the most accurate, is the best for your abilities, etc... Yes, that's exactly what it means. And it's actually funny/sad when some people will talk down about a gun because of it's cost, and they say their life is worth MORE than "X" gun. Yet, they aren't out there promoting that it's not the $150 or $500 or $1000 gun that determines how well it can help protect you. But rather the combination of that particular gun with the right ammo. Put it this way: I'd take my POS AMT 380 Backup with hornady critical defense ammo, which i know is 100% reliable, (As close to 100% any gun can be), than to walk into a shop and get a brand new FREE Glock 40sw and a box of ammo from a shop owner and I've never shot it. I wouldn't even think twice about that scenario.

So, whether it's a $150 hi-point, $500 glock, or a $1000 Sig; what makes that particular gun reliable and dependable is not it's name or price tag. It's the combination of that gun, magazine/cylinder, and ammo. And the ONLY way to know the right combination, is to actually shoot it. Any other thought is negligent.

P.S. PUNT: 3-4 rounds is NOT shooting it. Sorry, but if you don't shoot at least a box full through it, you have no idea if it will feed properly, eject properly, or hit what you're aiming at.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:43 PM   #8
dakota1911

Just a thought, but I know some +P ammo is loaded for a longer, say 5 inch barrels, so you may not be burning all the powder in the barrel and not getting the full velocity. I have noticed this on small 45s, which in the Glock arena would be something like a 36.
Old March 18, 2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I personally use Winchester supreme elite 124gr +p hp in my Glock 17 for defence ammo.
The "I personally use" statement seemed to say that you have it loaded.

And:

Quote:
...plan to fire 3-4 rounds this weekend...
This is not even close to enough rounds to consider them reliable in your weapon.

Please note that I am not attacking you, Puntmefar. I would hate to hear that something happened where you needed to use your weapon and it failed. I know "it's a Glock" and "glocks never fail" right?? I'm sure that you are not that naive.. but it's dangerous practice nonetheless and other users need to be aware that this is not good habits.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Chesster

I've used a good bit of +P and +P+ in Glock 17s and 19 with no ill effects, all 115-124gr LE labeled stuff. No problems. I use NATO labeled FMJ at the range a lot.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 18, 2010, 08:04 PM   #11
Webleymkv

In 9mm and .45 ACP models, you shouldn't have trouble using moderate amounts of +P ammunition. I would be hesitant to shoot +P in any other caliber Glock, however, as none of the other calibers that Glock chambers have SAAMI +P pressure specifications, they can be loaded however the manufacturer sees fit.

Extensive use of +P ammo will accelerate wear on your gun to some degree. If I were to use a steady diet of +P ammunition, I'd probably install a heavier recoil spring and possibly a recoil buffer.
Old March 19, 2010, 12:25 AM   #12
Mosin44az

I have fired +P in all the Glocks I've owned, including my old 21 and 26 and my current 19. Fired Cor-Bon + P in all, often. Never thought of Glocks as particularly fragile guns--their rep. is quite the opposite--and never noticed any problems.

+P is not my range ammo, of course--too expensive. But moderate use, in my experience, is absolutely no problem, and a quick look of the manual for my 19 reveals no warnings about it.
Old March 19, 2010, 01:20 AM   #13
Deaf Smith

B&F,

There ain't no such thing as '+P' when it comes to Glocks!

I've used Brit. L7A1 ammo, and it's way way past +p+, in my Glock 17 and it runs fine. We are talking 1400 fps for a 125gr FMJ. Now THATs .357 magnum power!

And my carry ammo in my Glock 26 is +p+ Winchester 127gr JHP!