The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 23, 2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Telgriff

Tinkering with Remington 700's

I've started looking around for my second rifle, what can I say, this place is a bad influence! Caliber will probably be either a .243 or 6.5 Swede, haven't decided yet. A 6.5 swede will require a lot more work as I don't think Remington chambers in the swede (please correct me if I am wrong!)

I keep mulling over the idea of getting a Remington SPS Varmint or similar and replacing the stock, free float the barrel etc, and wondered if many other Remington owners here have tinkered with their rifles (700 line specifically) or still have it as the day they bought it and what the pro's and cons are of leaving it as a stock rifle are as far as accuracy, comfort etc are concerned.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Alleykat

I bought a Remmy 700 VLS several years ago. Got out the Dremel with the flexible shaft attachment and larger sanding drum and opened up the barrel channel, in order to free-float the barrel. Bedded the tang and recoil lug areas with Marine Tex. Puts three shots in a dime @ 100 yds. First thing you need to do with any 700 is adjust the trigger.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Inspector3711

I've got one (VSSF .22-250) that had a spring swap, aftermarket trigger, and muzzle brake installed by a smith... I like it so much (especially the Rifle Basix trigger)that I have another (LVSF in .223) that I decided to put the same trigger in and swap out the spring. I don't want a brake on it. I already did the trigger swap and need to order a spring... I may just order a pin, spring, and shroud since mine has a J lock.
Old December 23, 2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Slamfire

Remington made a Classic M700 in 6.5 Swede.

I have one, after bedding the wooden stock, the rifle has shot sub MOA groups at 100 yards.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:47 AM   #5
CPTMurdoc30

I have replaced the trigger and the firing pin with a calahan unit from Midway USA. I did this to get rid of that stupid lawyer proof J-lock. But it improved trigger pull and break as well.

For the trigger I went with a Timney and have it adjusted down to 1.5#

I think I too am going to free float the barrel.

In a year or two I am going to rebarrel mine from the 223 it is to a 223 AI with a SS Kreiger barrel with a 1:8" twist. While the barrel is off I am going to have my smith true up the action as well to improve accuracy as well. I might even switch to a Jewell 1.5 to 8oz trigger at that time. I would not recommend anyone do this on a rifle that will be carried in the field as this can be vary dangerous.

Many things you do to a remmy 700 can be done at home. I replaced and adjusted my trigger at home in my shop. It takes a few basic tools and reading the directions that you can find on the net.
Old December 23, 2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Zombie Steve

I have a 700 BDL "Custom Deluxe". I did a full length pressure bedding job on it as recommended by a friend. The rifle absolutely hated it. It took some work, but I dug out the barrel channel and essentially free floated it. Muuuch better.

I did do a trigger job as well... if you can turn screws and follow directions, you can have a great trigger.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Swampghost

Before you free float a 700 look it up on the web. The opinions run about 50/50 on doing it. I haven't done any of mine and have no complaints about accuracy, they all shoot better than I can. For me, inside of 2" @ 200 yds. is good enough.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:39 AM   #8
Telgriff

Thanks for all the replies, its a case of whether I invest a 700 and fine tune it to my liking or pay the price up front and get something that already meets most of the requirements I am after (free floated, decent stock durable, good trigger etc).

I do really like that the 700 is a great action and has so many possibilities for it through fine tuning and upgrading so much of it to make it fit perfectly.
Old December 25, 2008, 01:36 AM   #9
Swampghost

cheapo measuring the trigger pull

I hung the rifle using 1/8" braided nylon and used a paint bucket on the trigger.

I then cocked it and slowly filled the bucket with water until the pin snapped. Then I weighed the bucket on a food scale, Ol'#2's always on some diet. Yup, this is factory!

I followed all of the ajustment directions with one exception. I filled the bucket with about 3#'s of water and adjusted the pull screw until it snapped just to rough it in. Cock the rifle. Pour a little bit of the water into a glass, re-hang the bucket and pour until it snaps. Weigh the bucket. Adjust the screw and repeat until you get what you want. If you want to get real finiky you could use an eye-dropper/beam scale and be much more accurate than a real trigger gauge. Here's my results on this rifle.

I gave it just a tad extra on the sear, it's a hunting rifle, then pounded it and slammed the bolt a lot. Looks like I'm good.
Old December 25, 2008, 03:33 AM   #10
tuck2

I have a few Remington 700 rifles. All have had a little tune up. Glass bedded the action, free floated the barrel, and adjusted the trigger down to about three pounds pull. I have had a gunsmith lapp the bolt locking lugs on two of them. The accuracy was improved on all of them. One was shooting about three inch groups before giving it a tune up ,now I have shot a few groups under one inch at 100 yards with it..
Old December 25, 2008, 06:45 AM   #11
Picher

The Rem model 700 is one of the easiest rifles to glassbed or pillar bed because the large screw locations are in the perfect location, the action is round, and it has a generous recoil plate.

The places where people get screwed up are:

1. Make sure to put a couple of layers of tape on the recoil lug...under and on all sides except the rear where it must bear on the bedding.

2. Be sure to clean out all receiver screw holes after removing the action from the stock.

3. Tape over trigger and all other parts, use modeling clay on any area that could lock the action into the stock.

4. Be sure to remove the internal magazine well on sporters before bedding.

6. Use plenty of release compound. The best I've used is two coats of paste shoe polish.

When free-floating the barrel, more space around the barrel is better than not enough. A little more than 1/16" is necessary to keep a sporter barrel in a heavier caliber from bouncing off the forend and stringing shots; more than that helps to cool the barrel when shooting groups.

Picher
Old January 3, 2009, 06:12 PM   #12
joeg26er

rem 700 30-06

Hey guys-
I have a 700 ADL j-lock with synthetic stock - no external mag well

What can I do to improve the trigger pull for plinking and hunting?
Which trigger do you suggest for easiest install?

How hard is it to change the firing pin to a callahan?

Can I change the firing pin to callahan and simply tune the trigger pull instead of installing an aftermarket trigger?

Got a link to a good step by step for that?

thanks

Tags
700 , remington , sps varmint