The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 29, 2016, 08:21 PM   #1
ditchpanther

AR-15 Scope

Looking to get a scope for my AR-15. I have been using a cheap red dot for the first couple times to the range, but quickly I realized that I need to upgrade for any serious shooting.

I am interested in getting something made specifically for the 223/556 round. Shooting around 100-300 yards mostly but with the ability to stretch it out to 400 or 500 if needed. Mainly just for target practice now but will be coyote hunting eventually. So probably looking at a decent low-light scope.

One of the scopes I have come across in my research is the
Nikon P-223 4-12x40 BDC 600. Any specific reviews of this scope? Or any other suggestions for something like that I am looking for. Looking to keep it around the $300 range.
Old April 29, 2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Greg500sw

Look at the weaver grand slam tactical 3-10 at midway USA

Or if you want to save up a little longer, the Leupold VX-R patrol is a wonderful scope. They have it in 1-4 and 3-9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 29, 2016, 08:52 PM   #3
Skeets
Member in memoriam

AR-15 Scope?

I live on a farm and really needed the AR benefits,my 1st, for varmit control.A Leupold 3x9,VX-1,in 1pc-Leupold mount has always held true! Also meets your price point too. Skeets
Old April 29, 2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Mobuck

I've used scopes from 1-4x32 to 4-12x40 on AR's for various purposes. The bigger scopes add a lot of bulk and weight to the package. I'm currently running a Burris E-1 2-7x32 on my winter AR (5.56 x 16"Hbar). It's an improvement over the 1.5-5 x32 I was using. My summer AR (5.45 x 16" M-4gery) has a common 3-9 x 40 on it mostly because I thought I had an accuracy problem(turned out to be a scope problem). I think I'm going back to a lower power for the sake of keeping it compact. My 20" AR's have either 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 since they're used at slightly longer ranges than the 16" carbines.
As for the trajectory compensating scope reticles, the variety of .223 ammo makes those barely worthwhile.
Old April 29, 2016, 09:39 PM   #5
ms6852

I have the particular Nikon scope you mentioned and it is a great scope and dead on at 500 yds. But if you want shoot tiny groups beyond 100 yds it will not suffice as parallax is fixed at 100 yds. So you must insure that your cheekweld as spot on. Other wise it is a great scope that allows you to acquire targets from very far quickly without having to dial in. I zeroed my rifle at 200 yds so I can use the BDC reticles to 700 yds.
Old April 30, 2016, 12:23 AM   #6
turtlehead

I love my Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. It's light and fast on target.
Old April 30, 2016, 06:25 AM   #7
fourbore

I like a 3-9x, for a do it all compromise. I would go with a Leopold ultra light or old used compact. A 3-9x32 9 (or 33 I forget). You dont need adjustable objective at 100 yds or more with 9x. And you dont need 40mm glass if the scope is quality made. Sorry, op mentioned 500 yards. I guess this is not going to cut it.

A basic 4x32 is light and practical, for hunting while not so good on paper. I just mounted an old Japanese Tasco 4x32 on my predator. This is for coyote.

For target shooting, (IMHO) more magnification the better. I like scopes in 6-18x40 range for shooting off the bench with an AR. At 18x you do want the adjustable objective. Lots to choose from in that space. I like Leopold if the budget can take it. Should be good for any range the 223 can shoot.

I dont see 500 yard target shooting and coyote or any other hunting using the same scope? It does not work that way for me. Not where I live.

Last edited by fourbore; April 30, 2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old April 30, 2016, 06:26 AM   #8
Mobuck

"Nikon P-223 4-12x40 BDC 600. Any specific reviews of this scope? "
"I have the particular Nikon scope you mentioned and it is a great scope and dead on at 500 yds. But if you want shoot tiny groups beyond 100 yds it will not suffice as parallax is fixed at 100 yds. So you must insure that your cheekweld as spot on. "

Something seems amiss here. Why would such a scope have it's "parallax is fixed at 100 yds" but range ticks to 600?
Old April 30, 2016, 06:31 AM   #9
fourbore

parallax is more an issue at close range like 25 and 50 yards. Beyond 150 yards is pretty much infinity - you should be good. most center fire scopes are set at 150, I thought?

Does seem as magnification goes up the need to focus increases.
Old April 30, 2016, 11:50 AM   #10
ms6852

It is my experience that if the scope does not have parallax correction to infinity and you cannot hold a perfect cheekweld due to recoil, when you try to shoot say sub moa , or moa groups beyond 100 yards if your group is not where you like it to be it can be difficult to determine whether it is you or the rifle does not like what you are shooting.

I like to perform ladder tests on all my rifles to find out which bullets my rifles shoots best. When performing ladder test the farther the distance you perform this test at the better. In some of my scopes the parallax is set to 100 yds, so if I was to perform a test at 200 yds my data could be flawed because my cheekweld might not be exactly as it was when I started. So I would have a hard time determining whether it is me or the load I am using.

To alleviate this problem I switch scopes to a Sightron Big Sky which has parallax adjustment fro 10 yds to infinity. My particular rifle like Hornadys 75gr bullets using RL15 powder with 23.5 grains. I get sub moa 5 shot groups at 200 yds.

Now that I have the best load for my rifle I switch back to the Nikon and re-zero at 200 yds. So I know that it is dead on at 500 yds simply because I consistently have hit my 18" steel silhouettes at that distance by just placing the appropriate reticle on the target. Five hundred yards is about the max I can shoot in my friend's property safely.

For the benefit of beginners entering this sport I would like to remind you that if you zero any scope with a particular bullet, the BDC reticles will only be accurate with that bullet if you switch to a lighter or heavier bullet you must re-zero.
Old April 30, 2016, 02:48 PM   #11
bman940

Scope

Nikon'a P-223 4-12x40 BDC 600 will serve your needs just fine. Great pirce and good clarity as well as Nikon's No Fault Policy should anything happen to your scope. I have used the 4-12 and the P-223 3-9x40 a lot. I do freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon so needless to say I put thousand's of rounds a year under my Nikon scope's. I could certainly choose another scope but I'm very happy with the P-223 3-9 on my LMT AR. Chasing hogs and coyote's in TX and OK is hard work and you want to make sure you can make a quick and accurate shot. Best of all, you can use Spot On to dial in your rifle,scope and ammo for the best possible longrange shots.
Drop me a note if you have any question's. Check out Nikon's P-Series AR Mounts too. Hopefully one of TFL's Sponsor's can help you with your purchase. The P-223 3-9 has a Promo going on that will give you a mount and wind meter with purchase of scope.

Here's a pic of the P-223 4-12 with Rapid action Turret. Just dial in your yardage when using a 55 gr bullet at 3240 fps.

Old April 30, 2016, 06:56 PM   #12
marine6680

The vortex PST 1-4 is a nice handy scope if you do not want high magnification. Glass is good quality and at 100yds I can shoot it as well as my 10x.

The strike eagle 1-6 from them is cheaper, but I do not have direct experience with it.

I have a redfield Tac22 that has been very good, I got it on sale for $100 after a rebate. Decent glass and good price. I would venture that their 233 version could be good to go as well.

I have two SWFA SS scopes, one is a 10x the other 12x, while a bit bulky, they are built like a tank and have excellent glass on them.

They cost about $300, and I have seen reviews that compair the glass to $1000+ scopes.

They are not 223 specific, but have mil or moa hash marks that make hold overs easy if you learn your load.

I also hear nothing but good about their warranty... Pretty much no questions asked, repair or replacement.

Last edited by marine6680; April 30, 2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old May 1, 2016, 09:37 AM   #13
Road_Clam

I have the Bushnell 1-4x "AR 223" scope on my match service rifle. Very happy with it. taken this all the way out to 600 yds. Only issue with the optic is it's mills not moa so you have to remember to do the conversion math if your an moa type guy..

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell...iflescope.html

Last edited by Road_Clam; May 5, 2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old May 3, 2016, 09:58 AM   #14
Inazone

I just bought a Bushnell 1-4X AR 223 scope myself and like it so far, but my "proven" scope for my crappy eyesight is a Redfield Battlezone 3-9X that ran me about $189 a couple years back. I rarely go beyond 4X anyway unless I'm out to 300ish yards, so the Battlezone gave me that capability for minimal expense. I've never felt like I was giving up anything by buying it instead of something a hundred or two dollars more. Good warranty (through Leupold) and made in the Philippines if that's a factor.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:07 PM   #15
rickyrick

Have no specific suggestion because the AR rifle is wide open to many types of scopes as long as you can get to the charging handle and proper eye relief can be attained. ARs are pretty much the easiest rifles to put optics on. So find the scope that fits your needs. After that it's a matter of figuring out the mount you need to get the scope to fit you.
Old May 4, 2016, 05:15 PM   #16
bacardisteve

I really like the vortex viper pst 2.5-10x for an all around scope on an accurate ar.
Old May 5, 2016, 08:06 AM   #17
Pilot

I have a Colt M4/LE6920 which I had a Burris MTAC 1.5-6x42 scope. It was a nice scope but a bit heavy for what I wanted, so recently I replaced it with an SWFA 1-4x24 scope which I found used, but like new. It is lighter, and less bulky, and fits my purposes better. I also like the reticle better than the MTAC.
Old May 7, 2016, 09:19 PM   #18
Dirty_Harry

I am becoming a huge fan of 1-4/1-6 optics on AR's. I would highly recommend the newer Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 for your needs. I am really liking mine. It has the BDC and illuminated reticle for fast shooting. It is probably my favorite optic on my rifles right now.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old May 8, 2016, 07:17 AM   #19
Mobuck

Taking note of the various scopes with the open "quick adjust" knobs brings up a question. Have any of those scopes' users actually carried their rifles in the field? Seems to me the first thing that happens is the knobs get moved by rubbing against everything they touch and your zero is GONE.
I had a customer order a rifle/scope(one of those twiddle knob jobbies)/mount package which I sighted in for him. He shot it on my range to confirm but next day was back. The scope was "off". I fired it and yes, it was 3-4" off zero. I re-adjusted and he left. Next day he was back-same thing. Again, the zero was off but in a different direction. In the end, I determined the knobs were being moved while the rifle scooted around inside his gun case during transport-ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:23 AM   #20
Hunter Customs

I have three rifles with SWFA SS scopes and the quick adjust turrets, yes I do carry my rifles in the field.

The SWFA turrets have good detents so you pretty much have to intend to move them, plus the turrets are marked with easy to read 1/10th mil adjustment.

Once I set my zero and my turrets accordingly if I did bump a turret off accidently all it takes is a quick glance and then move the turret back to my zero setting.

Now if a scope does not track true I would not want exposed turrets.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old May 8, 2016, 07:46 PM   #21
marine6680

Yeah, I have not had my knobs turn in the case, but my rifle can not slide around in the case. It's a double case and the other rifle does not cause any issues.

The nice detents, the easy to read markings, and the ability to zero out the turret markings, means that I would know if they move.

Having clear markings and the ability to zero them out once you get the scope zeroed to the rifle, is very important for exposed turret scopes. Good solid detents are also a must.
Old May 9, 2016, 06:12 AM   #22
darkgael

Scope

For an AR? Trijicon ACOG TA01 ----top shelf item. The clearest scope that I have ever had the pleasure of looking through.
Pete
Old May 20, 2016, 01:42 PM   #23
BWM

You can look at this at Midway Bushnell 4.5+18+40 around 225.00 it was made for the AR 223. I got one and liked it so I got one for the other gun
Old May 21, 2016, 09:04 AM   #24
the45er

I'm very happy with this!

This exact set-up has been posted above and I'm just "seconding" the choice. I have the Nikon 223 4x12 with the Nikon M-223 mount/rings mounted on a Stag Arms Model-6 Varminter. These were the last three shots I fired after sighting it in. The range was an honest 300 yards and I'm not that great of a rifle shot. I figure I can't shoot any better than this rifle so why spend $1500 on optics? The scope is clear and easy to adjust for different ranges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300 yard group.jpg (38.1 KB, 27 views)