The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2016, 09:06 PM   #26
noylj

You know, the whole "clean the primer pocket" started about 15 years ago and was taken from the benchrest crowd, where the mantra is "if it can't hurt, it might help."
Before that, folks loaded for well over a century without worrying about the primer pocket.
1) The black soot in the primer pocket does not build up over time and seating the primer is not a +/- 0.0005" tolerance job.
2) Unless you are shooting well under 0.3 MOA, what possible gain can there be for cleaning the pocket.
Make sure the primers are seating just below flush and that is all you need to do.
So, if you want a clean pocket any way, you should inspect, deprime and sort cases before cleaning and then either ultrasonically clean or Stainless Steel pin clean your cases, so you let the cleaning system clean the primer pockets )that don't need cleaning any way) and not waste your time doing a pointless job.
The goal is to get in more shooting time and not more case prep time.
Old May 9, 2016, 09:39 PM   #27
mrdaputer

It shows there are many different ways to reload for sure. It comes down to what works best for you. I use the shell sorter to separate the casings. If I plan on doing 9mm I will take a 5 gallon bucket put in a little dawn add water and toss a couple thousands casings in there and mix by hand. I pick up the casings from a outdoor range so they are pretty dirty. I rinse then use my dehydrator to dry them. I then decap and resize as many as I feel like doing. I tumble the casings with ss pins using dawn and lemi shine. My reloading setup is flare, prime, powder, lockout die, " I do a visual inspection also" tube bullet feeder, set and crimp. I feel what saves me time is the shell sorter the dehydrator and the bullet feeder tube. Some ppl will say only use a rock chucker to each their own I guess.
Old May 10, 2016, 02:57 AM   #28
briandg

One of the great things in life is having a good thing going, a plan and a process, and have someone say

"What ya gotta do is dump your stuff and everything you do, then get what I tell you to get and do what I tell ya."

I once had a guy tell me that anyone who puts ketchup and mustard on a hot dog, or eats his burgers without jalapenos should be drawn and quartered. Seriously, what can you say when you meet up with a brain that is so rancid?

The primary concern is safety and quality. Then you have to ask what your needs are, and spend every cent you can getting high quality lifetime equipment. You can never forget #1. There are always new things that you will discover that will guide you to new improvemens somewhere.. I own a ninety year old house, for twenty years, and I'm still learning things about it.
Old May 10, 2016, 07:17 AM   #29
jetinteriorguy

I used to seat and crimp in one step for years with no problem, the reason I do it in two steps now is because I use a collet crimp die on my pistol magnum loads. This method is much easier on the brass an eliminates having to trim brass for a consistent crimp. Mainly though I shoot the same ammo in both my revolvers and lever actions so I like a pretty fair crimp. On my 9mm I like to crimp separately with the Lee factory crimp die.