The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2000, 07:34 PM   #1
DOCSpanky

You have just taken what you thought was a great shot, but it turns out when you approach your small game, (i.e. squirrel, rabbit) that you have inflicted although a mortal wound, one that the animal is going to suffer from for a while. Lacking experience, and having only hunted 1 small game season so far, what is the most efficient way to end suffering? Is it to simply step back and shoot it again or is there a more preferred method? We must always strive to make every shot kill instantly, but this is not always the case, need input. Thanks

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!
Old March 19, 2000, 08:57 PM   #2
slymule

DOCSpanky, I have two methods I use to dispatch wounded game. My preferred method is to leap on its back with my Bowie knife and stab it repeatedly in the chest until it expires!!! But watch it - some of those little rascals have alot of fight in them. If it looks like it might be an especially tough scrappy one, well then I whip out my .44 mag and aim for a head shot before they get a chance to charge. BE CAREFUL !!! I've had em leap off the ground near 5' when going for my throat before.
Old March 19, 2000, 10:04 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Doc, I usually opt for the head shot. Be careful - getting bit is not a fun thing.

Giz
Old March 19, 2000, 11:47 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Small game? Grab it (carefully) and wring its neck. That's about as quick as it gets.

It's a lot quicker than the strangling choke-hold of a cat.

Really.

Art
Old March 20, 2000, 12:58 AM   #5
slymule

Well, since nobody besides myself is gonna have any fun with DOCSpanky...I may as well give a proper answer. For feathered critters - I wring they're necks. For rabbits - I pick them up by both back legs and deliver a hard Karote chop to the back of their neck. If I can't get ahold of both back legs I simply step with my boot heel on the back of the neck and shove down on it breaking their neck. I use the same method (heel stomp) on squirrels. I've tried alot of other methods but none are as quick or as reliable every time. Art - can you give us more detail on the "strangling choke hold" of a cat? Was wondering if that was a one man or two man operation.
Old March 20, 2000, 01:11 AM   #6
gunmart

slymule you still have me laughing.heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh
Old March 20, 2000, 12:44 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Slymule, strangling a cat CAN be a one-man job but: Ya gotta be quick! Real quick!

To get half-serious for a minute, mountain lions generally jump a deer, knock it down, and go for a mouthful of throat. Most other cats do the same sort of thing...And it ain't real quick.

, Art
Old March 20, 2000, 01:05 PM   #8
Long Path

Meaning, of course, that Art considers it ill-advised to drop to all fours and grip your prey by the throat with your teeth, strangling it to death for 10 minutes.

Small game often means .22. If they're still mobile, I plug 'em again, head shot. If not mobile, the above methods of breaking their necks are advisable. As I just don't plan on getting bit again, I'm all for the heel-to-the-neck method, unless the ground is unduly soft. Then one may need to use a tool (long hunting knife works) to strike the neck. I have been known to dispatch small pests shot at night in a semi-rural area with a blow to the back of the head with the hard buttplate of my .22 rifle. This was to reduce noise, and was done with an open bolt and an empty chamber.

Regards,
Matt/L.P.
Old March 20, 2000, 03:35 PM   #9
dZ

dad always pulls out the swiss army knife and thumps em on the back of the head

dZ