The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 11, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
fresyes

Artillery casing question

Wasn't quite sure where to post this...
My neighbor was a missionary in central Africa in the mid 1950's. She
bought several artillery shell casings. The pics are of the largest
one. It supposedly came from northern Africa. It is about 30 inches tall.
Any ideas what kind of artillery fired it or anything else?

Old March 11, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
dahermit

It should be noted that the primer looks intact (unfired).
Other than that, it is simalar to tank shells as lined the walkways at Fort Knox when I took basic there in 1962, except the ones at Fort Knox were 90mm and were straight not bottle necked.
Old March 11, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Avenger

"16 & 21 GUNS"....huh, wonder if this is a saluting shell? Those crimps around the neck look weird to me. Be one HECK of a salute from something that size!
Old March 11, 2011, 07:13 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is British, made in 1952 by NM (National Metals?) and reloaded in 1953. The primer bushing was made in Dec 1942 and reloaded in June 1943.

Now that 16 and 21 is really puzzling. In British service such designations usually mean "pounder" as in "18 PDR" the most common field piece of WWI. But I can't find any 16 or 21 pounders so there is something I am missing. Perhaps someone else has better information.

Jim
Old March 11, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

No, it's not a saluting shell.

That's also a standard British artillery crimp.

I'm about 95% certain that that's a British 17-pound-gun shell casing.

It's definitely not a shell for the 18 pound QF gun, the casing shape is all wrong.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 12, 2011, 12:12 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

The overall shape is the same as the US 105mm tank main gun round. However, without a scale, all I can say is the shape is the same, not the size.

You should have the mouth of the case measured, that will narrow it down a lot. The approximate size in mm or inches, along with the markings will help.

The bottleneck shape indicates a high velocity round, the kind used for tank and anti-tank cannons. Generally, artillery uses straight cases, but there are exceptions.

And, while I'm far from expert, it is also remotely possible that the shell in question could be a naval shell. Coming out of Africa, nearly any possible combination of historical circumstances is not beyond reason. All kinds of pre and post WW II guns and military equipment are still in use in Africa, from all nations.

My best guess (and totally without any basis) maybe a round from a Centurion tank. Originally introduced at the very end of WWII with an 85mm main gun, and later marks armed with a 105mm gun, the Centurion served in British & Commonwealth forces through the 1970s. Quite possible some of those wound up in Africa, or some other vehicle/ground mount using the same gun.

I don't have the resources for a better ID, sorry, but its easily possible someone else on the forum does, and will be along eventually.
Old March 12, 2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

"And, while I'm far from expert, it is also remotely possible that the shell in question could be a naval shell."

Don't think that's the case. I can't identify a single British naval gun of the right time frame that used a bottle necked case.

I'm sticking with my early answer, it's a 17 pounder.

Old March 13, 2011, 11:49 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Mike, you're probably right. A 17 pounder should have a 77mm (approx) case mouth, right?

The pic looks bigger, but scale is tough to judge.

"about 30 inches tall"....that puts it about the size of the 105mm shell I have on my back patio, which it resembles in shape. Sure wish we could get a measurement of the mouth...

Was the 17 pounder case that long? Might be, I just don't know.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Unfortunately it is VERY difficult to find information on cases.

But, I've found a few pictures of 17pounder complete rounds, and this may not be one of them.

The 17 pounder has an odd two stepped rim, almost like a belt on top of the rim. This case obviously does not.

It's also not for a 25 pound quick fire gun, either. Those had straight cases.

You know, I wonder if it might be for a British anti-aircraft gun? British AA guns often had necked cases because they required a large powder charge to get the shells up to altitude.

Here we go... a picture of a guy holding the 3.7" AA shell. This is from Wikicommons, so there shouldn't be a copyright issue.

Problem is, I'm again having problems finding case dimensions or close up pictures.

Old March 13, 2011, 05:24 PM   #10
fresyes

That's an interesting pic

One of the other two shellcases looks like the small one the guy
on the left is holding.
I'll measure the width tomorrow with possibly some more pics of
the other shells.
Thanks for all the info.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"One of the other two shellcases looks like the small one the guy
on the left is holding."

Hum... That's interesting. All of the rounds in that photograph are anti-aircraft rounds.

Old March 14, 2011, 11:50 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Apparently the British had 3", 3.7", 4", 4.7", 5" and 5.52" AA guns through WWII and for some time after. The 3.7" seems to have come along after the others, and primarily a land mount where the others were naval mounts, mostly.

3.7" would be about 94mm, so if the case mouth measures about 90mm +/- Z(given how the shells get "dinged") I think we can call it a 3.7" AA round.

A 17 pounder AT (tank gun) would be about 77mm (or so my armor books say)
Old March 15, 2011, 12:23 AM   #13
egor20

I asked my FIL (he's English) to look at it, he said it looked like it might be from a QF (??) 3 inch 20 anti-aircraft gun like his grandfather had a battery of in WWI. I'm sorry he doesn't have pics of them.

I know the 1952 mark is new, but hey, who puts away they're toys when they still work.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 15, 2011, 05:09 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's pretty clear to me that it's not a shell from a 3" 20 cwt gun. The case form is all wrong.

The 3" shell had a short short neck and shoulder. It also had significantly more body taper than what is being shown.

Here's a picture.... http://members.home.nl/p.geltink/pics/tankuk2.jpg

The 76x583R is the 17 pounder case as used in British anti-tank guns (and also tank guns).

The 76x420R case beside it is actually the shell used by the late-war Comet tank, but the case is the same as used by the 3" 20 cwt gun.

I really think the correct culprit is the 3.7" AA shell.

Old March 15, 2011, 05:15 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Oh, look at this. This might shed some light on the markings on the case head...

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/arms...ages/stamp.jpg

Old March 15, 2011, 05:52 AM   #16
BlueTrain

Oh, this is getting more interesting all the time, whether or not the identify of the mystery shell is ever established. I had no idea ordnance was so colorful, for one thing. But what do you expect when all the textbooks are in black and white. And the British repaired fired casings?
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 15, 2011, 07:26 AM   #17
mapsjanhere

The markings read 4 in M(rk) 16&21 guns

Voila: British naval AA, and they even have a picture of the shell
Old March 15, 2011, 08:54 AM   #18
Mike Irwin
Staff

DAMN IT!

Stupid British!

I never thought to convert the 16 & 21 into frigging Roman numeral marks!

Sweet. You get the cookie, Maps!

You know, I said earlier that I didn't think it was a naval shell because of the bottlenecked case. Once we broached the possibility of it being antiaircraft in nature, I should have revisited the naval aspect.

Old March 15, 2011, 09:25 AM   #19
egor20

mapsjanhere

Well done, and I get to tell my FIL he's wrong, that doesn't happen often

Thanks

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 15, 2011, 09:57 AM   #20
Winchester_73

Since we identified it, we can now come up with some reloading data (hopefully) for this cartridge and hopefully see how well the gun groups in the near future.
Old March 15, 2011, 11:32 AM   #21
mapsjanhere

COAL 45.13 in
Propellant Charge 9.0 lbs. SC or 10.5 lbs. NF/S (4.09 or 4.8 kg)
Muzzle Velocity 2,660 fps

My range is limiting us right now to .499 or smaller, so you'll have to wait for the grouping data until my next London visit (you take care of the paperwork to borrow the HMS Belfast).
Old March 15, 2011, 12:09 PM   #22
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, that makes sense. I read "41NM" instead of "4 IN M", and the N below the primer probably stands for "Naval" as it does in other British ordnance contexts.

Note for shooters - the barrel life is only 600 rounds, so you should buy a few spare barrels.

Jim
Old March 16, 2011, 02:29 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

So I was actually on the money suggesting it might be a naval shell! Imagaine that!