The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 5, 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Mannlicher

Civility

is just about dead. That includes real life, as well as on boards such as this.
Now here, if you upset someone, are a wee bit more aggressive than the situation warrants, or you just come out of the chute snorting, the worst that can happen is your thread might be locked. I see that has happened to a number of threads here recently.
In real life though, being a butt head can get you killed. As a tactic, I suggest a modicom of civility when dealing with strangers.
I dare say though, much of the bellicosity shown here by posters probably would not be voiced to total strangers in real life.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 5, 2006, 03:18 PM   #2
PythonGuy

Thanks for the revelation, and locked thread. You forget one point though, unlike face to face where there are size, strength, and other factors, here we are all even, and we all get to go home.
Old May 5, 2006, 03:39 PM   #3
18DAI

I Like this forum more than the others because IMHO there is more civility. Here you voice an opinion ,some agree ,some do not. There are then questions from both sides and some debate. I've never been treated rudely here , even by Kimber advocates (just kidding). If you want to see lack of civility go to another forum and say you have had three "brand X" 1911's and none of them functioned. Or another forum and say Internal locks are idiotic ,and the company's that use them aren't what they used to be. Better have Nomex britches on. I like it here because you can exchange information with people who know what they are talking about when it comes to handguns. IMHO there is more civility and less idiocy than on the other forums. YMMV Regards 18DAI.
Old May 5, 2006, 04:05 PM   #4
rapier144

Actually i'm more civil on this board than i am in real life. For one i'm a guest here. So i try and conduct myself with some decorum. Plus what's the point in arguing with someone whose opinion means very little to me. I don't have any way to verify someones credibility on here. I very well may be talking to a moron so i put very little stock in what someones opinion is. If you can back up your opinion in facts then i will pay attention. As for bellicosity inperson depending on my mood at that moment my attitude may be total indifference to that person or it could be fists , knives, or guns whatever you chose have at it. It would make very little difference to me at that point.