The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
DeltaWhiskey

Berry's 165 grain .40 S & W

Thinking about trying the above mentioned bullet in my next reloading project. Can't find any Hodgdon date for a 165 grain bullet, so am following Berry's advice and using low-to-midrange data for jacketed bullets. I'm pondering using 5.3 grains of Universal. Anyone have any experiences that they'd like to share?
Old July 9, 2005, 06:13 PM   #2
Kamicosmos

Not direct experience, but a friend of mine was loading up Berry's in both 40 and 45, and he was disappointed with their accuracy. And he was comparing them to Rainers!

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old July 10, 2005, 05:27 AM   #3
bigted

barry

i used there bullets i dont like them woud not stay to gether zero is the way to go ty titegroup powder
Old July 10, 2005, 07:36 AM   #4
caz223

I'm not impressed with plated bullets.
Really, you can get good jacketed bullets for about the same price if you buy 'em in bulk, and they're more accurate.
Old July 10, 2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Kamicosmos

Quote:
you can get good jacketed bullets for about the same price if you buy 'em in bulk
Roger that! I have started using Win or Rem bulk JHP/FMJ because they are like $2 more per 500 than the Rainers and berry's. Much more accurate and consistant bullets.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old July 10, 2005, 07:17 PM   #6
DeltaWhiskey

I tried that load out today and was pleased with the results. Grouped up nice and tight with no hiccups. However, I had four or five that I had seated deeper than the the 1.125 that I usually use and noticed a marked increase in recoil and reposrt, which I'm taking is signs of increased pressure. I won't doing that anymore!
Old July 10, 2005, 07:26 PM   #7
Peter M. Eick

Yep, sharp report, deeper seating and higher pressure. Sort of go hand in hand.

I never had luck with plateds. I even invented a term for when you aim at a 10 and get a 6. I call it being "berry-ied" as in a derogitory term for a cheap bullet that makes your groups look bad. There is nothing and I mean nothing more embarassing then banging away with some expensive custom 1911's or in my case Sig 210's and putting up crappy groups when the guy next to you is using some cheap generic plastic gun and doing better.

I can normally cut my groups in half just by switching from plateds to jacketeds. As the saying goes don't get berry-ied, but your mileage may vary.
Old July 11, 2005, 02:14 AM   #8
MrApathy

hodgdon 2004 load magazine list 5.1gr starting for Sierra JHP 165gr. max is 5.6gr max doing some 1050fps min doing some 950.

try and keep the OAL steady. recall hearing universal has tendency to spike.

nice yet cheap booklets to have "The Complete Reloading Manual"
although hardly complete it has nice data in it from other books. I have found it usefull for loading up Rainier 180gr Plated bullets with Power Pistol.
http://www.loadbooks.com/
cheaper at Scheels Sports, midwayusa.com both have them for $6.99 or less

dont have it at my side at moment as its 2 stories below me at work bench.

from what I have seen not all books at 165gr loads some have 170gr or 175gr which are fairly close.
Old July 13, 2005, 07:30 PM   #9
saands

Wow ... I'm amazed to hear so many people reporting problems with Berry's bullets. I use them in almost every non-magnum load (they don't survive 1350+ velocities) that I shoot. I get ragged 2.5" - 3" groups at 20yds with my Springfield 1911, and slightly larger groups from my USP40c (but it doesn't have a 1911 type trigger, so I don't blame the bullets). I can't recall ever getting a flyer that I didn't pull ... but I haven't ordered any new inventory in a year or so.

As for seating depth ... small, full, straightwalled cases like 40, 9x19, 9x18, 32acp etc, are all REALLY sensitive to seating depth. The percent change in load density varies dramatically with small differences in seating depth. Nearly all the load manuals specify OAL of the loaded cartridge, but I always note the actual seating depth in my log ... this way I can switch from FMJ to JHP in the same weight (maintaining seating depth, but usually NOT OAL) and not be surprised by dangerous pressures.

Stay safe,

Saands